Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I agree, Paramount brought a level of theming to the park that was not there before making it more than just a place with rides. Granted, yes they did have shows and themes before Paramount, but nothing close to what Paramount brought to the table. You can still see remnants of what Paramount did all over the place, Flight of Fear's queue for example.

• Like 8

Agreed on Paramount... It really felt like a national park. As you walked around you saw Fred Flintstone and a Klingon, plus it brought something to the park having that sort of atmosphere.

On a positive saw Let It Rock the other day in the Festhaus. A good show, and it was enjoyable. But man, I wish the Festhaus would get a German Biergarden in there. We talk about having the International Restaurant back, why not turn the Festhaus into a sit down place. So you could have the Reds Grill on one side of the park and Festhaus on the other... Maybe turn it into a Hoffbrauhaus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

They served bratwurst and mettwurst with saurkraut at the Christian Moerlein Bier Garten until this season. Now its just beer and nachos. I enjoyed it when it was there, if only more people ate there. It seems rather odd because hot dogs, brats and metts were a common food on amusement park midways.

• Like 6

Agreed on Paramount... It really felt like a national park. As you walked around you saw Fred Flintstone and a Klingon, plus it brought something to the park having that sort of atmosphere.

On a positive saw Let It Rock the other day in the Festhaus. A good show, and it was enjoyable. But man, I wish the Festhaus would get a German Biergarden in there. We talk about having the International Restaurant back, why not turn the Festhaus into a sit down place. So you could have the Reds Grill on one side of the park and Festhaus on the other... Maybe turn it into a Hoffbrauhaus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love it if the Festhaus was turned into a sit down German restaurant. Love to see Oktoberfest get an expansion, it's one of my favorite areas of the park but it's so small now. Still think they need to take out the basketball game and add Der Spinning Keggers again or something, and but a vine tunnel along the path between it and Oktoberfest alongside the Delirium queue. Maybe another German type shop and fake store fronts to make the area seem bigger without having to really spend the cost of adding stuff.

• Like 3

Kind of off topic but not sure what other post it would go under.

A little bit ago we were on The Beast and this guy in front of us, I don't know what it was exactly but his phone was literally stuck on his knuckles. He recorded the ride from the hill to the end. And I'm just expressing my anger because I've saw the occasional someone takes a "selfie" on a ride but not someone who recorded the whole ride. I was so angry I almost said something to him and the ride ops when we were done but figured it wouldn't do any good. I just can't imagine the damage a phone flying that fast would do to someone if he were to let go of it.

Edit: I also know everyone talks about this topic a lot on here but I feel better letting it out to people who care. Hahahaha :D

• Like 5

As I've said before, it's sadly going to take a serious injury before the park gets serious about enforcing the rule.

And that is not in any way off topic for this thread. :) This thread is basically the "catch-all" for anything about the park that doesn't fit in an existing thread and which you don't want to start a whole new thread on.

• Like 3

Spent the day in the park yesterday.  Observations:

1.  Not a crowded day; ride ops were great.

2.  Food service is still terrible, even at this point in the season.  We went to Skyline in the former Coney Mall area-There was one person in front of us waiting for food, our 2 orders and one person behind us.  The food prep people still took over 15 minutes to prepare our (2) Three ways and one coney.  Two were resting their elbows on the prep table.  No sense of urgency at all.

3.  Every mens room I went to was terrible.  International Street, Planet Snoopy by Diamondback, Backlot Stunt Coaster, WindSeeker and the former Coney Mall near the Coney Confection stand.  Each one was disgusting and smelled worse than an unemptied latrine at a Boy Scout camp at the end of the summer. (If you are wondering why I visited so many restrooms, I was looking for a clean one to use.)

4.  I saw several people smoking while walking through the crowds.  Maybe it happens alot, but I had never seen it before.

5.  The Blue Racer was running VERY well.  Adventure Express was not.

6.  At the entrance to The Beast que, the phone still has a Paramout's Kings Island sticker on the inside.  (I am such a geek for noticing this!)

7.  Landscape is looking awesome.  The flowers were so nicely tended.

8.  Staff are great--even in the heat and humidty, they smile and say, "Have a fun day!"

9.  Some staff, even after seeing seeing thousands of people, have an excellent memory.   For instance, a particular ride operator, I would see when riding The Beast.  I was in Planet Snoopy with my niece, he was working a ride there, and spoke to me.  Kind of impressed that some people take the time to remember that.  Makes a big place seem smaller.

10.  Finally, in spite of the food serrvice wait times and nasty restrooms, we had a blast.  Kings Island has really upped its' game in the guest experience arena and it shows. 

• Like 5

I hope the hotel that was booked was not Kings Island Resort.

Was not. But I am enjoying the place I chose. For the price, I'll be back.

Good day at the park today. Rode a ton, saw Cirque Imagine and Off the Charts. Ate at Reds. Blue Ice Cream. Night rides on Beast and Banshee. Fireworks.

#KIBestDay

• Like 8

I was at the park yesterday and experienced my first chain lift stop. We were sitting in the front and we sat there for about 10 minutes before they started it back up again. I thought we might have to evac because we were up there so long but they didn't. Pretty good day. I got to ride everything before the crowds hit. Saw Cirque Imagine for the first time this year and it was awesome as always. I ended up leaving around 4:30 because the crowds were getting pretty large. Pretty average day. Other than getting stuck on Banshee's lift hill for a while nothing extraordinary happened. I second jtro223's comment about the food service being terrible. I haven't had good service all season. When I went to get a pretzel at Auntie Anne's on IS, the employees seemed more concerned about their own conversation then me ordering a pretzel. It took around 8 minutes for them to take an already made pretzel out of the display case and take my money. 

• Like 5

Sorry for the double post but had to share a few things.

International Restaurant appears to have received a paint job since the last time I was in there. It looks great. I love the view of the fountains and Eiffel Tower from there.

After my trip to another park, I better appreciate that the KI crew really do work hard to keep the park clean.

A little girl managed to get her knee or leg stuck in the bars of the gate at Viking Fury. The ride crew seemed to handle it well and stayed calm while not drawing unnecessary attention to the situation. I was impressed and will be sending an email tomorrow.

Watching a middle school boy/"reluctant rider" fall in love with The Beast = priceless!

• Like 7

word of caution, while leaving the park last night, walking on the path b/w Boo Blasters and the first aid station I noticed some sort of "creature" walking b/w the bushes near Boo Blasters.  I first I thought it might be an oppossum as all I caught was a flash of white, upon walking a little further, I noticed that it was a skunk.  I'm not sure how often that skunk takes up residency in that area, and I'll assume its more used to lound sounds and screaming people than your regular skunk, but its close enough to a path that a kid (or adult) could easly "sneak" up on it, neither realizing the other was there.  Would definently not make for the #KIbestday

Other than that, I don't believe anyone in my family rode Vortex last season, no particular reason, just didn't.  My 7 year old decided he wanted to ride it while he was on Shake, Rattle and Roll with his grandmother, so we both took our first trip on it since he was 5.  Got in 7-1; man I love that ride, just wish it didn't beat myself up so bad, though last night wasn't too bad.  Any tips for a 7 year old?  he's about 53" I lean my head forward a bit to avoid the head banging, he's too small to do that.  When he was 5, he was short enough that he didn't get much head banging, now that he's grown a bit more, that was his only complaint last night.  FWIW, way smoother than The Corkscrew we rode up at Valleyfair a few weeks ago, it had been too long since riding Vortex to compare the two Arrows, it was tough to convince my son for a 2nd ride on Corkscrew (I kind had to semi-force him) so was happy to see him pick Vortex again, and enjoy his ride (other than the head banging)

• Like 5

A few questions for debate: How much does it typically cost to modify the restraints like they did on Maverick? Is it even feasible for something like Vortex? And, do you think the park would consider it? Why or why not?

With enough money, anything is possible. Maverick is massively popular and still relatively new.

Vortex is an old Arrow Dynamics coaster, a dying breed, that is probably on the tail end of its lifespan. And Vortex won't be closed down due to its restraints. A new train like that would cost millions. Big investment for something that may not be around for much longer.

• Like 5

A few questions for debate: How much does it typically cost to modify the restraints like they did on Maverick? Is it even feasible for something like Vortex? And, do you think the park would consider it? Why or why not?

With enough money, anything is possible. Maverick is massively popular and still relatively new.

Vortex is an old Arrow Dynamics coaster, a dying breed, that is probably on the tail end of its lifespan. And Vortex won't be closed down due to its restraints. A new train like that would cost millions. Big investment for something that may not be around for much longer.

That said, cherish Vortex. 

I was walking down Coney Mall yesterday and it struck me just how big Vortex is and how it's a very exciting and imposing coaster to just watch. I know it won't be there some day (and I'm not saying anytime soon so please don't get mad at me, Don) and it'll be sad but that's why I don't take it for granted.

• Like 3

word of caution, while leaving the park last night, walking on the path b/w Boo Blasters and the first aid station I noticed some sort of "creature" walking b/w the bushes near Boo Blasters.  I first I thought it might be an oppossum as all I caught was a flash of white, upon walking a little further, I noticed that it was a skunk.  I'm not sure how often that skunk takes up residency in that area, and I'll assume its more used to lound sounds and screaming people than your regular skunk, but its close enough to a path that a kid (or adult) could easly "sneak" up on it, neither realizing the other was there.  Would definently not make for the #KIbestday

Other than that, I don't believe anyone in my family rode Vortex last season, no particular reason, just didn't.  My 7 year old decided he wanted to ride it while he was on Shake, Rattle and Roll with his grandmother, so we both took our first trip on it since he was 5.  Got in 7-1; man I love that ride, just wish it didn't beat myself up so bad, though last night wasn't too bad.  Any tips for a 7 year old?  he's about 53" I lean my head forward a bit to avoid the head banging, he's too small to do that.  When he was 5, he was short enough that he didn't get much head banging, now that he's grown a bit more, that was his only complaint last night.  FWIW, way smoother than The Corkscrew we rode up at Valleyfair a few weeks ago, it had been too long since riding Vortex to compare the two Arrows, it was tough to convince my son for a 2nd ride on Corkscrew (I kind had to semi-force him) so was happy to see him pick Vortex again, and enjoy his ride (other than the head banging)

That white skunk is well known at the park.  A couple years ago during Haunt, I noticed a white trash bag lying on the ground in the dark of night in the dog walking area in front of the Kennel.  I walked to pick it up and as I got within 15 feet of it, it started to move and it was that white skunk.  It is a good thing it was not frighten as I was well within range of its potent weapon!

• Like 4