Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Your definition or a "Stack" is right. Anytime the train is stopped in the safety brake, it is stacked. That brake is meant as a means for blocking, not as a holding brake. See Magnum on this, quite similar concepts in operations. It's not fun or encouraged to see Magnum sit there on the safety brake before the transfer table.

Limiting Fast Lane should not be a major issue. The job of crowd control is exactly that. Keeping two people per row is generally not difficult. I never understood why Kings Island stops the main line and lets Fast Lane walk through, then opens the main line. Let the main line keep filling the station and taking available rows, while the person at crowd checks bands and admits those with the correct bands to the platform. If a guest needs to be checked for height/issues, it's quite easy to look down the ramp and stop the line if needed. This delay back & fourth causes an issue with empty rows, and then causes a hustle, and abrupt stops in the line. Steady calm flow is key. Keep the station full, keep the rows full, pair up when and if you can, problem solved.

The newest ride in the park isn't going off of Fast Lane Plus. Part of the marketing & strategy is to get people to spend money to get the new ride in. They'd be fools to lower the money spent to get Fast Lane access on any new ride that still hasn't provided anywhere near it's ROI yet. That isn't happening, at all. Again, the Fast Lane isn't a problem regarding operations. People entering the queues and Fast Lane guests who enter the station waiting behind station gates has nothing to do with a train sitting on a safety brake. 

No loose articles would be nice, and I'd love to see this method adopted. However, I will go out and say this: In the past with bins, the ride rocked out numbers, pushed up right at capacity, and kept trains moving. Yes we have seatbelts now, but I refuse to even come close to believing that's a major issue, especially when you have literally the easiest restraints in the market to work with. The first year with seatbelts I could understand being confusion and some difficulty to relearn what was just turned into muscle memory by that point in the season, or especially for returning crew members. However, we're a full year in with these belts at this point. How to efficiently and safely work this restraint should be cakewalk at this point. The bins do increase dispatch times, but generally there are far worse things in terms of dispatch intervals.

Here's some last minute things to consider. We notice the stacking issue, for years now evidently. 

1. Management hasn't corrected or worked on the issue, clearly

2. A new training regiment, IROC, was implemented which changed many things in terms of operations, many for the worse

3. Kings Island already had added extra filler to it's SOP compared to other parks (ready, clear, station clear, all clear, etc.)

4. Lackluster crews of minors. I know the parks can't staff 18+ in all areas of the park in terms of operations. I'm happy enough that only adults are the only ones in controls at least this year, that's a beautiful improvement. How many times have people said on here that employees are lethargic, or don't have pep in their step, or seem to be preoccupied.

The bottom line is, management is following **** poor SOP's created by a third party auditing company, mixed in with some extra KI exclusive filler, and they don't care to correct the issue. I know they see our forums and see these posts. The Diamondstack moniker has existed for quite some time now and I have yet to see any acknowledgement or correction over the past few years. This is a management level issue. Not a bins, not a ride, not a seatbelt. It all stems from park leadership. Change starts top down at Cedar Fair, and in this area, I haven't seen a single thing.

Since you seem to know everything about working in the industry, why not fill out an application? 

https://jobs.cedarfair.com/kingsisland/index.cfm

• Like 3

Just got home. The park was packed. 12 hours in and rode the following, Bat, Scrambler, Shake Rattle and Roll, 6 slides at Soak City + wave pool, and then capped it off with a night ride on Surf Dog, the yellow suspended coaster formerly known as Reptar, and a wonderful almost midnight ride on The Beast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Does anybody know the song from cirque imagine when the two girls are doing the flips and what not...

Yes. It's called "Ants" by edIT and it's a fantastic song.  :D However, I think only most of the first part of the song plays during the routine (there is a audible "break" around the 2:30 mark that separates the two parts). 

• Like 1

Finally got my 2nd visit of the year in on Friday. Went to the water park for the first time in 2 years, had fun but they definitely could use some slide complexes there. Went back to the dry park for dinner at the Reds Hall of Fame Grille (more on that later.) After dinner rode Boo Blasters, Banshee, The Bat, Adventure Express, and ended with an awesome night ride on The Beast. It was great day, glad to have finally made it back out. A few observations:

- Again, the water park is in need of something new. Based off of Cedar Fair's recent activity I think there's a good possibility of something new soon.

- Reds Hall of Fame Grille... My previous visit this year, which was much much earlier in the season, I complained about the terrible service, but gave them the benefit of the doubt because it was just that - early in the season. However, I can now report back that they have not improved. Upon walking in we were told there were no open tables for my party of 2, but we could sit at the bar if we wanted. We headed to the bar where I saw some open tables, maybe they were being saved for big parties or maybe they just can't handle the workload of having all tables full, but that looks really bad when you have people waiting to be seated.

When we got to the bar there were no two seats available next to each other, so we took a seat at a one the small two-person high top tables in the bar area, where we had to have been purposely ignored because we were not acknowledged for a decent amount of time. Finally two seats opened at the bar, so we took those. Had our orders taken within a reasonable amount of time and the food actually came out fairly quickly, so I was happy enough at that point. However, it was very obvious that there several disgruntled people around us who had been waiting for food, service, their check, etc. and were getting tired of being ignored. There was one clearly stressed bar tender who let a couple who sat next to ours that they wouldn't be getting food for a while because "everything [was] taking forever to come out."

After we finished eating, the wait to finally have someone come back over to our side of the bar was ridiculous, all we needed to do was pay our check but we were held up at least 15-20 minutes, but we were just talking so we didn't mind as much as the guy next to us who began to loudly stack his dishes in an effort to get someone's attention for his check, until he eventually threw down some cash and stormed out...

I know this was a little long, but something needs to be done about the Reds HoF Bar and Grille before I go back. It just isn't pleasant with the poor service and being surrounded by angry people as a result. What a shame, because I was so happy that they finally put a table service restaurant in, but now I won't be going for the foreseeable future.

- Boo Blasters: I still hate the FUNTVs in the queue... However, the ride itself had actually improved from my visit earlier this season. Music throughout the ride, our guns worked (gasp), and most of the triggered effects were working as well as the fog screen audio. The chase scene is still not working though. Overall, the ride looked better than I've seen it look in a long time, but still does seem to be on its last act. I hope the next attraction is more on par with the first 3 attractions to grace that building.

- The rides were all running great, Banshee was very forceful and smooth, and The Beast at night was amazing as always. The Bat and Adventure Express were also very good night rides.

• Like 3

I rode the Red Racer from the back and guess what was happening in the back car of the Blue Racer as we were climbing the hill.....

.....some young girl was talking on a cell phone ....she was still on the phone as the train was headed into the break run at the end of the ride....

Guess what else......she was reported.....

Kings Island needs to post at the gate, and online, and announced by the ride attendants, and via Fun TV...."Anyone exposing other guests to the dangers of a flying cell phone, will be ejected from the park and subject to prosecution." BEFORE someone gets seriously hurt!!!

• Like 3

Our frustration yesterday came from horseplay in the queue. My friend and I were in the AE line behind a group of 6 kids - likely 5th-7th grade - that couldn't keep their hands off of each other. Pushing, shoving, climbing, and walking on the metal barriers. I was waiting for one of them to fall and smack their head or hurt the ladies in front of them. Same thing happened with two boys in front of me for Woodstock Gliders. Where are their parents?! What is adult's reason behind not standing in line with their kids to make sure they aren't being punks? Maybe I'm too much of a mean aunt but when the kids started that, they had a warning and the second time, we went home. They haven't tried it since.

But hey, I was also considered suspicious last night (for what is the second time in my life - that I know of) so what do I know? At least I think that is why the woman behind me in line loudly told her story twice while standing in line for Woodstock Gliders. She talked about how there once were two long-haul truck drivers in line for Woodstock Express. "Why would adults be in line for a kids ride? Hold your children close!" My suspicious behavior was not talking to the kids in line and just reading my blog reader while watching the gliders. Or being an adult in line. Hard to tell.

Yesterday was quite interesting.

• Like 8

I made my first (and last) visit to Soak City for this season this afternoon. My experience was not positive at all. It started with horrendously dirty bathrooms, and continued with overcrowded pools. The wave pools were a miserable experience- is there any way they can cap the number of people in a pool at a time? It was impossible to move without bumping into somebody. I am not a fan of public pools to begin with, but having that many people really turned me off. As did the Band-Aid that floated by my foot. No thank you.

And like I say every year, please make the Splash River back into a LAZY river. There is nothing better than floating around in the sun, but getting blasted with water the whole time makes it a lot less desirable.

I didn't even try the slides. Lines all the way down the stairs stopped that idea immediately.

I know that I went in with a bad attitude about Soak City because I haven't had a good time there in a few years now, but there was nothing there that changed my perception while there. Three hours was enough to send me off to Raising Canes and then on my way back home. I don't have a problem with water parks in general, but Soak City at Kings Island needs work. Badly.

• Like 7

I really like the gliders, the position for them, Surf Dog, the former Reptar ride (really dont know its name), and even Race for Your Life Charlie Brown, puts the rides in the weird part of kiddie land but not really just kid rides.....  Not to mention the Woodstock Express...

My buddy and I rode the gliders and a few parents gave us side way eyes as we jumped inline and went and rode it... but hey what can you do....

• Like 6

Delerium13,

I've had similar issues at The Reds HOF grille this year, including yesterday.  One time we walked in, the place wasn't very crowded, no one waiting in line, and we were offered a table.  With 2 younger kids, neither of whom sit still very well, its often easier at a booth.  There was one empty, but waiting to be cleaned off, so my wife asked if we could have that table.  No problem the greeter said, then proceeded to do nothing about it.  It got bussed (sp?) in due order, just out of normal habit I guess, but no one guided us over there, after 5 minutes or so (after it was cleaned up) and the greeter no where in site, we finally asked a waiter walking by if we could sit at the table.

anyhoo, we tried again yesterday for lunch, were were a bit on the early side (say slightly before noon) and had no wait for a booth just to the left of the greeter's table.  The waitress was prompt getting our drinks and taking our order, the food (as I've come to expect) takes about 5-10 minutes longer than you think it should (likely not the wait staff's problem) and considering that were were there slightly before the lunch time rush, I would have expected the kitchen to be fully staffed and read to go.  When they brought our food out, it was good, as it always was, but when my wife asked for some Mayo, the waitress came back out and apologized saying they didn't have any mayo.  Again, not her fault, but seriously, at this point its right around noon, on what should have been anticipated as a busy Sunday (it was), how do you not have any mayo in a full service restaurant that typically is stocked with it.

By the time we left (12:45ish) there was a huge crowd waiting to get in. I can only assume the wait for food to arrive only grew longer.  It seems to be a growing trend over the last 2 seasons, or perhaps I've just noticed it more since we've been eating inside the park more often due to the meal plan.  The wait time to get food from order to you seems to be growing.  I've never worked in the food service industry, so it makes it easy to complain while having little understanding of the challenges that they go thru, but not only at the Reds HOF grille, but at several locations, at different times in the park (and mostly when the park is not slammed, we avoid weekends typically) it appears that KI is need of improvement in their food management.  The quality of the food has definently picked up over the last few seasons, the service of said food has gone down.

People got to eat?

• Like 5

malem and I ate at Reds Grille Friday afternoon. We were seated quickly, had our order taken quickly, and our food was out in a reasonable amount of time. Which proves that they CAN do it right, but it would be nice if they were more consistent.

• Like 4

Diamondback still stacking habitually and some sluggish operations with barely passing interval. Got a bit of video to look over and examine/show everyone.

Second issue, why does the park not open food stands until 11. I could have gone for a "breakfast" meal, however, not a darn thing was opened. I've also been in the line since food "opened" at 11, still no service. They're still getting ready. Only one employee serving in the line that has 13 people waiting to place an order.

• Like 4

I remember back in the 90's they'd open up International Street about an hour before the rides and I-Street had several bakeries that sold breakfast-y items.  It was heavenly at park close after a Beast night ride and just smell all the bakery smells along I-Street.  

• Like 6

Okay, I've always loved Kings Island. But this year there are a lot of things that make me unhappy. Rant time. They're trying too hard to reach out to people my age (teenagers) and they end up just sounding lame. I don't listen to pop music that much but a lot of the songs they play are about a year or two behind what most of my friends and sometimes me listen to and a lot of it isn't even good music either. I was at BGW back in June and I had a better experience there than I've ever had at Kings Island. Compared to Kings Island, most of BGW's rides are better themed and a more fun experience. Though Kings Island has thrilling rides, they don't have any theming I enjoyed the music that was played all over the park. Nice orchestra and themed music is the way to go in an Amusement Park with themed areas. Kings Island is lacking in almost all areas of theming. Banshee and Flight of Fear are pretty well themed but they're nothing compared to what other parks put into their rides. The bathrooms this year are usually awful. I dread having to use any of them. Food service is terrible as well, I talked about a terrible experience I had at what's usually my favorite place to get food in the park earlier in this thread. I feel like one of those guests in RCT that complains about how disgusting the paths are. I'm luckily not having to avoid vomit but I usually see litter scattered about the park. There have been days where I'll pass an area when I first get to the park and see litter and come back hours later only too see that it's still there along with some additional litter. Diamondback's operations are terrible as usual. ERT is usually the only time I'll get near the thing because once the park's open to the general public, the stacking ensues. I'll pass by large rides like The Beast, Banshee, Firehawk, even Flight of Fear on non crowded days with waits around 5-15 minutes for each and then get to Diamondback only to see around 5-6 lanes of queue open and around a 30 minute wait. And you can bet that all 3 trains are stacking when I get there. Any theming the park once had is basically dead at this point. It's all just one giant area now. There isn't even a Coney Mall sign anymore. I think Kings Island's 2015 season is a huge disappointment compared to the 2014 season. I mean obviously there was an awesome new ride put in, but they also went the extra mile to make sure that everything else in the park was great as well. The whole park seemed to kind of go on lazy mode this year. I hope operations improve by Haunt because I'm starting to go to the park less and less. At this time last year, I had gone to the park over 20 times. I've gone 5 times this year because of the poor treatment I get by the staff and by how little they seem to care about guests and the condition of the park. I don't know if it's just me that's experiencing these problems or if others are having these problems. Sorry about my rant but that's how I feel about the park this year. 

• Like 6

I don't remember when the park had themed areas. Even going back 10 years ago... The names of the lands were there but theming? Not so much.

What bothers me is the Floral Clock not even having arms on it. That tells me that something either is broken or something is being moved.

For restaurants, I think the problem is you have youth supervisors. They probably don't have the power to cut hours or fire anyone. If there is no fear of losing your job, then you won't work as hard... Compare ordering a 3way in the park and out of it. If you order in the park, you are looking at a 10 minute process. Out of the park, it's a 2 minute creation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1