Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Compare ordering a 3way in the park and out of it. If you order in the park, you are looking at a 10 minute process. Out of the park, it's a 2 minute creation...

I find that the International Street Skyline typically has significantly faster service than the Coney Mall Skyline, especially at off-peak times. Add the bonus of indoor seating, and I don't ever go to the Coney Mall location anymore.

• Like 4

But, food service wasn't like that two years ago.

I blame the meal plans and their heavy demand.

I disagree.  Several years ago, I had to wait almost 30 minutes for a Coca-Cola *bottled* drink on one of the carts.  And the worker couldn't count change.  I posted a constructive comment on the Facebook page, it was deleted and now I can no longer comment on the page.

• Like 5

Yeah I disagree as well. The added demand sure I get that. But when you are the only one in line and it still takes forever and the sup doesn't care or can't control....

You either need pride in your job or have a fear of losing it... Disney instills a strange cult like pride in their workers (plus a legit fear that they would be fired). The workers at KI for the most part seem to lack one or both...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Compare ordering a 3way in the park and out of it. If you order in the park, you are looking at a 10 minute process. Out of the park, it's a 2 minute creation...

I find that the International Street Skyline typically has significantly faster service than the Coney Mall Skyline, especially at off-peak times. Add the bonus of indoor seating, and I don't ever go to the Coney Mall location anymore.

Double post, apologies.

Agreed but I have had some slow service there as well. I think both suffer from the "don't know how to serve Skyline problem" (seriously glob some spaghetti, plop some chili, and a handful of cheese), but Coney also suffers from single line service.

Not to mention the workers at the Coney Mall one hardly ever seem to be working... Usually one taking orders half heartedly and the others not doing anything.

Reminds me: on Saturday had a young lady "serve" me at the Hot Dog stand in SC. She said quote "what do you want". I told her "a brat please" and she looks at me sighs and says to a coworker "get him a brat I don't want to"..... The Supervisor then got me the brat.... If I was the sup, she would have been sent home then and there.

• Like 4

Haha yup and who do you complain to when the Sup was the one she told to do her job.... Oh to be a blue shirt button down sup and have an hourly employee yell at you haha.

Hate to say it again but (and I know some here don't like WDW as much as DL) what would Disney do?

• Like 5

I don't care for Skyline in the park.  Sans the chili, everything else is radically different.  I'd rather leave the park for Skyline or Blue Ash Chili than stay in the park.  Higher quality and cheaper, plus Skyline in the park doesn't have that wonderful finely shredded cheese that the Skyline restaurants have.  

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with other Guests using cell phones on rides. I mentioned something to an area manager Saturday night after getting off Beast cause someone had there phone out taking pictures or video. For one the light from the phone really reunioned my night time ride. The area manager acted like he didn't care and said they do make PA announcements etc. I told him Its becoming a major problem and he didn't think so. Well I tell ya what when someone gets hit in the face they will care. I don't understand why they can't make simple announcements like CP does in the stations. Or stop the lift if they see one out. I really fear someone is going to get hurt badly at KI with a flying phone. I really hope no one ever pulles a stupid selfie stick out on a ride.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Yeah I disagree as well. The added demand sure I get that. But when you are the only one in line and it still takes forever and the sup doesn't care or can't control....

You either need pride in your job or have a fear of losing it... Disney instills a strange cult like pride in their workers (plus a legit fear that they would be fired). The workers at KI for the most part seem to lack one or both...

I have to say, every person I have interacted with is pleasant and friendly in '15 and '16.  But it seems like the "back staff" are in need of retraining or replacement.  At Skyline Chili in the area formerly known as Coney Mall, they were literally on their elbows on the prep table and took approximately 10-15 minutes to fix my 3-way and coney, and there was only one person in front of, and behind me.

The Chicken Shack is the same way.

Reds Grille, I have been pleased with, no bad service this year.

Of course, selection is key.  And these are the folks that want $15/hr.  Scary.

• Like 7

It's really pathetic that while other chains see fit to ban selfie sticks, Cedar Fair sees fit to SELL them.

Found this article talking about Disney banning selfie sticks, and this thing called, "The Envelope of Protection" they test in Disney parks.  http://www.businessinsider.com/six-flags-bans-selfie-sticks-2015-7

Keep that "Envelope of Protection" thing off The Beast.  That's all I have to say.  LOL.

• Like 2

I'm sure Beast is totally safe.  Probably why they tell you over and over via the speaker to keep your arms inside the ride...lol.  I don't want the ride to change, but as I've gotten older the thought has occurred to me that some idiot could do something stupid and put the whole ride in jeopardy for the rest of us.

• Like 3

Regarding food service, I cannot get into specifics, but it comes down to training, or lack thereof.

Speaking of food service today - I saw a teenage girl denied being served at the pretzel place for attire the employee said was "offensive".  She was in a "U Mad Bro" t-shirt and shorts.

• Like 3

While I don't claim to be an expert on the food service industry, I did work in the industry for about 5 years, 2 of which were spent as a server, so I generally have a great deal of patience with servers. However, I don't have much patience when servers disappear for long periods of time, refuse to look at tables that aren't their own (even if a guest is clearly in need of service - help out that table and maybe that server will help you with one of yours someday), or when servers seem to abandon tables after bringing their food out. I get it, things happen. You get busy and service isn't always stellar, but my two experiences at the Reds HoF B&G have left a really bad taste in my mouth (excuse the pun). I have not left the park to eat in years, but if this is how service is going to be, I may do just that.

And yes, as others have stated consistency would be nice.

Other note from my visit (Warning: this is a recurring complaint of mine)

I'm also still waiting for the proper music to return to International Street - I'd say the different areas, but baby steps I guess. Pop music on International Street gives the park a cheap, generic park atmosphere, in an otherwise beautiful setting. While they are doing better in recent years, I still can't help but feel that Cedar Fair is neglecting the smaller details that made the park stand out from your average Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks. Things like atmospheric music, the glockenspiel, the floral clock, and so on. Those are things that I think Paramount Parks beat Cedar Fair on for most of their time owning the park. I'm not asking for a $100 million themed dark ride, but just small things that would make a huge difference in the feel of the park.

I wouldn't mind the $100 million dark ride though...

• Like 6

Regarding food service, I cannot get into specifics, but it comes down to training, or lack thereof.

Speaking of food service today - I saw a teenage girl denied being served at the pretzel place for attire the employee said was "offensive".  She was in a "U Mad Bro" t-shirt and shorts.

Don't they sell those shirts in the park?

• Like 5

I'm also still waiting for the proper music to return to International Street - I'd say the different areas, but baby steps I guess. Pop music on International Street gives the park a cheap, generic park atmosphere, in an otherwise beautiful setting. While they are doing better in recent years, I still can't help but feel that Cedar Fair is neglecting the smaller details that made the park stand out from your average Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks. Things like atmospheric music, the glockenspiel, the floral clock, and so on. Those are things that I think Paramount Parks beat Cedar Fair on for most of their time owning the park. I'm not asking for a $100 million themed dark ride, but just small things that would make a huge difference in the feel of the park.

I agree!  I am still hurt over the removal of the Coney Mall sign!

I would absolutely love it if Cedar Fair decided to reintroduce some original Kings Island feel for the 50th Anniversary, similiar to what they are doing at Kings Dominion.  I'm curious if this satisfies the nostalgia aspect for the KD entusiasts?

• Like 6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with other Guests using cell phones on rides. I mentioned something to an area manager Saturday night after getting off Beast cause someone had there phone out taking pictures or video. For one the light from the phone really reunioned my night time ride. The area manager acted like he didn't care and said they do make PA announcements etc. I told him Its becoming a major problem and he didn't think so. Well I tell ya what when someone gets hit in the face they will care. I don't understand why they can't make simple announcements like CP does in the stations. Or stop the lift if they see one out. I really fear someone is going to get hurt badly at KI with a flying phone. I really hope no one ever pulles a stupid selfie stick out on a ride.

Oh dont worry it  happened on The Racer during Coaster Stock they stopped it on the lift and a op came up and took it.

Oh dont worry it  happened on The Racer during Coaster Stock they stopped it on the lift and a op came up and took it.

"Don't worry"? That's a SINGLE case. There are many, MANY more cases where they do absolutely nothing at all. They need to stop the lift and take it away EVERY SINGLE TIME. Every time they do not, they are jeopardizing the safety of the riders on that train.

• Like 4

Question for you all: how would you plan to make this cell phone problem better? Ban cell phones from the park?

I hate it as much as anyone does. But really, how can we stop people from pulling their phones out on the ride? Even if we enforced it more and called security on people who did it, how would that make anyone else after that act differently? People pull their phones out all the time. They may even do it during the ride when there's no way of seeing it. How is it possible to stop that?

There's really no way. Unless you can give me a good reason, people will still always be on their cell phones on the rides. 

Also, malem, ejecting the rider from the park? Really? Most guests don't realize the magnitude of their actions. Ejecting them would be ridiculous...unless they put up a fight and refuse to obey the rules.

Also, malem, ejecting the rider from the park? Really? Most guests don't realize the magnitude of their actions. Ejecting them would be ridiculous...unless they put up a fight and refuse to obey the rules.

As you said, ejection would seem to be indicated for more extreme situations than a first-offence coaster selfie. (Doing it again after being caught, refusing to follow instructions, dropping objects from a tower...)

But really, how can we stop people from pulling their phones out on the ride? Even if we enforced it more and called security on people who did it, how would that make anyone else after that act differently?

Consequences tend to have a deterrent effect. See what happens when police start handing out lots of traffic tickets in a particular area.

• Like 3

Question for you all: how would you plan to make this cell phone problem better? Ban cell phones from the park?

I hate it as much as anyone does. But really, how can we stop people from pulling their phones out on the ride? Even if we enforced it more and called security on people who did it, how would that make anyone else after that act differently? People pull their phones out all the time. They may even do it during the ride when there's no way of seeing it. How is it possible to stop that?

There's really no way. Unless you can give me a good reason, people will still always be on their cell phones on the rides. 

The reason most guests don't realize the magnitude of their actions is because we have gotten to soft in our country - enforce these rules with dire consequences and you will see such actions stop.  When people on the Racer hear the spiel about putting away camera and such offender does not and riders witnesses zero consequence for such action, you are now encouraging a rider to pull out camera on their next ride...

I think ejecting a patron for violating a rule that puts others at risk of severe injury/death is appropriate.  Especially if it is stated in writing on the sign and said in spiel.

As for as what the park can do - ban loose items all-together and confirm empty pockets.  My last visit to Dollywood this summer, they had "temporary signs" indicating that a rider should not ride with any loose items and they indicated coins, keys, cell phones, as loose items.  These signs could be one of two things - either this was a soft implementation and they will start enforcing a loose item policy OR legal told them placing signs would limit their liability in the event of the flying cell phone.  I did witness where a ride-op saw someone with a cell phone out in the line and made such person put cell phone in bin before riding. 

• Like 3

I'm sure Beast is totally safe.  Probably why they tell you over and over via the speaker to keep your arms inside the ride...lol.  I don't want the ride to change, but as I've gotten older the thought has occurred to me that some idiot could do something stupid and put the whole ride in jeopardy for the rest of us.

I don't mean to go off-topic, but on The Beast, some dude was holding up a gigantic rock on the lift hill right in front of us and at the end of the ride they told us that they had lost the rock and didn't know where it had went. Just think about it. It was during the night, too, so nobody else could probably see it either. Needless to say, my relative told the police officer in the queue about what happened and I haven't rode it since. I'm really worried...

• Like 1

The reason most guests don't realize the magnitude of their actions is because we have gotten to soft in our country - enforce these rules with dire consequences and you will see such actions stop.  When people on the Racer hear the spiel about putting away camera and such offender does not and riders witnesses zero consequence for such action, you are now encouraging a rider to pull out camera on their next ride...

I think ejecting a patron for violating a rule that puts others at risk of severe injury/death is appropriate.  Especially if it is stated in writing on the sign and said in spiel.

As for as what the park can do - ban loose items all-together and confirm empty pockets.  My last visit to Dollywood this summer, they had "temporary signs" indicating that a rider should not ride with any loose items and they indicated coins, keys, cell phones, as loose items.  These signs could be one of two things - either this was a soft implementation and they will start enforcing a loose item policy OR legal told them placing signs would limit their liability in the event of the flying cell phone.  I did witness where a ride-op saw someone with a cell phone out in the line and made such person put cell phone in bin before riding. 

Ban loose items and confirm empty pockets? Really?

You think it's right to force people to pay insane amounts (on top of the high prices they're already paying to enter the park, eat, etc) to stash their car keys in a locker? Lockers that are known to not be very secure, on top of that? That would encourage people to find alternate routes to the park and not pay the (outrageous) fee to park. (Plus side - fewer parking spots required, more room to expand the park)

No. The solution to people not following existing rules is not the establishment of new rules, it's the enforcement of the existing rules. The right answer is to eject offenders, ban repeat offenders.

• Like 6