Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Probably Apollo, Avenue Capital or another private equity group.

Blackstone already bought it, striipped out much value, sold part of its interest for more than its investment.

Private equity is seldom good news. One of many reasons I am so glad Geoff Raynor, Q and the Knotts stopped Dick Kinzel's plan to sell out cheap to Apollo and collect heap big golden parachute for himself and certain family members.

• Like 3

Seeing a lot of chatter about the bins on Banshee and whether or not Diamondback should be next, I took to Twitter to see if any chatter has been going on about it.

Question for @KingsIslandPR Why is Banshee the only ride that doesn't have a box to put your belongings in? I'll donate the box— Marissa Mitchell (@MomBehindaBlog) August 5, 2015

@MomBehindaBlog Bins would slow down the operation of the ride, increasing the wait time for our guests.
— Kings Island (@KingsIslandPR) August 5, 2015

@KingsIslandPR that's cool.. But I would rather wait a few seconds then pay high prices for a locker to ride one ride.
— Marissa Mitchell (@MomBehindaBlog) August 5, 2015

I wonder what most people think. Do they appreciate the quicker lines at Banshee or paying for lockers? Do people even realize part of Banshee's shorter lines is its increased capacity because of no bins? I try not to bring what can't fit in my pockets personally, but I know that's difficult for some.

• Like 6

Seeing a lot of chatter about the bins on Banshee and whether or not Diamondback should be next, I took to Twitter to see if any chatter has been going on about it.

Question for @KingsIslandPR Why is Banshee the only ride that doesn't have a box to put your belongings in? I'll donate the box— Marissa Mitchell (@MomBehindaBlog) August 5, 2015

@MomBehindaBlog Bins would slow down the operation of the ride, increasing the wait time for our guests.

@KingsIslandPR that's cool.. But I would rather wait a few seconds then pay high prices for a locker to ride one ride.

I wonder what most people think. Do they appreciate the quicker lines at Banshee or paying for lockers? Do people even realize part of Banshee's shorter lines is its increased capacity because of no bins? I try not to bring what can't fit in my pockets personally, but I know that's difficult for some.

I'd venture that no, most people don't realize that, even though (or because?) they've likely been held up at the start of the line because a clump of people with bags are causing a hold up.

At first I was a little put off by that limitation on Banshee, but am starting to lean toward wishing other rides had the same restriction to speed things up. Honestly, though, it seems like the only ride that would really benefit is Diamondback and I'm not sure that's related to it being a long/slow line.

• Like 2

I would say most general public do not like the no loose articles policy. The reason why is because most of the general public will ride maybe once or twice at the most. I know when I came with my non enthusiast friends, we got really lucky on a Sunday in July and basically everything was a walk on. We rode Banshee twice even though the longest the line ever got was at the bottom of the stairs to enter the station. We rode everything else once except for DB which we rode twice then left the park at 430. That was after arriving late at 1130 am. I think the majority of people see it as a cash grab instead of increasing efficiency (even though that's what removing the bins does). Quicker lines (which may be only quicker by 5 minutes over an hour of pumping people through the line) are nice but in the case of my non enthusiast friends didn't make much of a difference to them. Although they were upset that they had to pay to ride on Banshee because they bought a souvenir cup.  

Ill put it this way Gatekeeper, TTD, and MF all force you to either return to your car to place loose articles in the car or pay to keep things in a locker for a little while.  At KI Banshee which is the newest coaster is the same way. With these coasters being new or very popular coasters most of the general public will view the lockers as a cash grab because they either have to use the locker to store items or they cannot ride it. I for one don't like the policy because there are many parks throughout the nation that enforce a no loose articles policy but provide lockers for free. (Yes I know that fee could and probably is added in the admissions fee!!!) If they force people to have no loose articles that means I won't buy a souvenir cup (or drinks for that matter) or play games because if I win a prize that excludes me from riding KI's marquee ride. I refuse to spend money in a park that nickel and dimes their patrons to death. I know others differ with that opinion but I come to a park to have fun not pay for a bunch of little things. 

Back to DB, My big question to ask about this DB stacking is, why is DB having such trouble getting people in and out of the station? In years past 2009 to say 2013/14 has DB been able to pump people out with no issues of stacking now all of a sudden (in the past 2 years) they are struggling to push trains out when the loose article policy for the ride has not changed. I think it has to do more with lackadaisical ride ops than people putting things away in bins. Or is it that the crew thinks DB isn't the marquee ride it was before Banshee therefore they don't need to move people along as they did in the past? I just don't understand the big difference between a couple of years ago and now. 

• Like 4

I would say most general public do not like the no loose articles policy. The reason why is because most of the general public will ride maybe once or twice at the most. I know when I came with my non enthusiast friends, we got really lucky on a Sunday in July and basically everything was a walk on. We rode Banshee twice even though the longest the line ever got was at the bottom of the stairs to enter the station. We rode everything else once except for DB which we rode twice then left the park at 430. That was after arriving late at 1130 am. I think the majority of people see it as a cash grab instead of increasing efficiency (even though that's what removing the bins does). Quicker lines (which may be only quicker by 5 minutes over an hour of pumping people through the line) are nice but in the case of my non enthusiast friends didn't make much of a difference to them. Although they were upset that they had to pay to ride on Banshee because they bought a souvenir cup.  

Ill put it this way Gatekeeper, TTD, and MF all force you to either return to your car to place loose articles in the car or pay to keep things in a locker for a little while.  At KI Banshee which is the newest coaster is the same way. With these coasters being new or very popular coasters most of the general public will view the lockers as a cash grab because they either have to use the locker to store items or they cannot ride it. I for one don't like the policy because there are many parks throughout the nation that enforce a no loose articles policy but provide lockers for free. (Yes I know that fee could and probably is added in the admissions fee!!!) If they force people to have no loose articles that means I won't buy a souvenir cup (or drinks for that matter) or play games because if I win a prize that excludes me from riding KI's marquee ride. I refuse to spend money in a park that nickel and dimes their patrons to death. I know others differ with that opinion but I come to a park to have fun not pay for a bunch of little things. 

Back to DB, My big question to ask about this DB stacking is, why is DB having such trouble getting people in and out of the station? In years past 2009 to say 2013/14 has DB been able to pump people out with no issues of stacking now all of a sudden (in the past 2 years) they are struggling to push trains out when the loose article policy for the ride has not changed. I think it has to do more with lackadaisical ride ops than people putting things away in bins. Or is it that the crew thinks DB isn't the marquee ride it was before Banshee therefore they don't need to move people along as they did in the past? I just don't understand the big difference between a couple of years ago and now. 

I agree fully with you. I don't make any extra purchases in the park due to the lack of bins on Banshee and pay lockers. I'd be much more likely to play games or get refillable cups if I had somewhere to stash them for free. I like that the lack of bins makes the line move faster. Personally I would like to see them adopt the free lockers for the ride line duration that parks like Universal and others have to stow stuff away. If you want a full day locker you have to pay for it, but just for waiting in line it's free. Then remove bins from most of the other big rides as well to help increase capacity on them too.

I agree as well though that stacking is more an ops issue than a loose articles one with the bins. As stated Diamondback used to churn out riders a lot faster and had bins then as well. It's just been the last couple years it has lagged and started to stack a lot, and even now there are times where they get the trains dispatched quickly and avoiding stacking. However, removing the bins still removes one little bit of hold up and can get things moving quicker still.

I also don't think putting in the free lockers would have a huge detriment to income for the park. It would result in fewer lockers actually being purchased but it would likely also result in an increase in sales elsewhere in the park where people like me and Joncars05 aren't purchasing things due to the rules.

• Like 5

The Diamondback crew does their best to get the trains out. I don't get why we are bashing on Diamondback so much when sometimes Banshee will stack, there are plenty of reasons for a train to stack. And it can not be sluggish Ride-operators. When I rode Diamondback this last Tuesday, I saw the DB crew working as hard as they could to send out trains (Note, they sent my train out quite quickly) and I've seen them send trains up the lift and are almost at the top before the other coaster even hits the Splash Down. So they DO get trains out at a fairly good place.

But there are MANY reasons on why a train will stack.

Heavy-set people.

People not following the 'Shoes Must Be Worn Policy'

People not buckling up the seat-belt before putting the restraint down, resulting in the Driver unlocking the restraint or something similar to buckle up the rider.

People taking a long time to put stuff in a bin. Not wanting their drinks to spill-over in the bin, because that'll be a bigger problem.

I'm actually getting a bit upset that people are bashing the park workers who try their hardest each and every day to make sure it is the best day at the park. Sure sometimes things happen, but they truly do try their best.

Mod edit: work information removed

Hmmm.

One year Diamondback was part of early rides ERT--the other it wasn't.

Terp...posting stuff

Yeah, I believe that this point was made when malem posted the 2014 Kings Island ride count spreadsheet he created. It would be helpful to formulate an apples-to-apples comparison, so here goes:

KI typically has around 150 public operating days each season. We do have to make a couple of assumptions, however. We'll assume that:

• ERT was offered all 150 public operating days
  • ERT was a 30 minutes in length (this was the case in both 2013 and 2014)
  • Diamondback could move an average of 500 people in 30 minutes during ERT

These are best-case scenarios, as none of these assumptions account for inclement weather, days where ERT is not offered (i.e., Friday nights in September & October), etc. We need to start somewhere, though, and this is a good baseline. Our best-case scenario yields 75,000 riders during ERT (150 days X 500 ERT riders per day). So we've accounted for 75,000 riders of the 250,000 missing riders, or about 30%.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there have been a couple of days where the crew has been terrific.  The issue is that the vast majority of the time the crew simply hasn't been efficient.  From the moment the train is dispatched to the time the train behind it is parked in the station takes about 35 seconds.  Trains "stack" at 95 seconds.  That leaves a full minute to load, clear the station and dispatch.  On average only about 1 in 7 dispatches I've timed this year has come in under 95 seconds, which is only that low because of the efforts of the couple of efficient crews I've seen.

I do want to make this clear.  I - nor anyone else on this forum who has commented about Diamondback's operations this year and last - are doing so with malicious intent.  We simply want to see the ride run more efficiently.  KICentral members are very quick to praise crews that are really good, and I have no doubt that the community will respond accordingly if and when the operations improve.

• Like 2

I'll give my opinion of #stackgate.  Last year, there was a ride op named Eric at DB.  Eric has been at The Beast instead of DB this year, at least on my visits.  Does one person make a difference in the stacking? Debateable.  But the way he entertained the crowd made the wait worth it.

I haven't had to wait more than 30 minutes for DB this year, which is acceptable to me for a great ride. 

If tweaks can be made, great.  But I don't think it is an issue with lazy employees.  They seem to work hard.

• Like 3

Speaking of guest stupidity at Diamondback, when I was in line on Wednesday, a ride op actually had to tell someone to put their shoes back on as a train was leaving the station. I'm not sure how the guest expected to hold on to their shoes while on Diamondback though.

• Like 3

The Diamondback crew does their best to get the trains out. I don't get why we are bashing on Diamondback so much when sometimes Banshee will stack, there are plenty of reasons for a train to stack. And it can not be sluggish Ride-operators. When I rode Diamondback this last Tuesday, I saw the DB crew working as hard as they could to send out trains (Note, they sent my train out quite quickly) and I've seen them send trains up the lift and are almost at the top before the other coaster even hits the Splash Down. So they DO get trains out at a fairly good place.

But there are MANY reasons on why a train will stack.

Heavy-set people.

People not following the 'Shoes Must Be Worn Policy'

People not buckling up the seat-belt before putting the restraint down, resulting in the Driver unlocking the restraint or something similar to buckle up the rider.

People taking a long time to put stuff in a bin. Not wanting their drinks to spill-over in the bin, because that'll be a bigger problem.

I'm actually getting a bit upset that people are bashing the park workers who try their hardest each and every day to make sure it is the best day at the park. Sure sometimes things happen, but they truly do try their best.

Mod edit: work information removed

How in the world does someone overweight cause the line to slow? I am definitely overweight and am on and ready before 95% of the train every single time.

• Like 2

Really hoping this hasn't been shared yet. If it has, sorry.

It's a news clip from 1991 at KI when Adventure Express first opened. Instead of seeing videos/pictures from the 70s, I've finally found something from a little later in KI's lifetime. 

• Like 8