Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I hope my previous post on this didn't come off as cold but I just had a problem with the tone of the article. I sympathize with the guest with the disability and would never wish they are discriminated from things they are able to do as a result. I feel KI and other parks can be inconsistent with their policies. They can do better.

But the tone of the article is a bit ridiculous and pompous. Like they want KI to bend the rules just for them, without seeing why KI would have no interest in doing that. And if KI won't do it, then they deserve to lose business.

I think that was my problem, too; the tone. I looked at the header and he's a kingpin for some "Open Door". Hazarding a guess, it's a disabilities group, which is why it's on a well known site. I have nothing against the disabled, but not too many disabilities fit into a cookie cutter mold. Disabled people have died on rides due to their disabilities.

I think what bothered me most was the conspiratorial "spread the word" at the end, hoping to bungle KI's business.

If I don't getbwhatever I want, nobody gets anything. I'm tired of that reasoning.

• Like 5

Found this editorial on Huffington Post about people with disabilities at Kings Island. Maybe someone should have this guy go to one of the charity events geared directly towards people with disabilities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-lipp/lesson-in-accessibility-a_b_7972334.html

It took a while, but my comment finally got posted.  One point I wish I had made was that he can't expect Kings Island to acquiesce in the removal of a prescribed medical device in order to ride one of their rides.  The converse of that is "Kings Island made me take off my medical device to ride their ride."  If something went wrong that argument would be used against Kings Island by both the injured person and Kings Island's insurer, and it would likely prevail. 

I am disappointed that  the Huffington Post lets this guy use their website to vent his personal issues.  The article is anything but objective.  He is writing about a bad experience he had personally and not something that affects the disabled community at large.  Moreover, he makes no attempt to understand the reason why Kings Island has the policies that effected him.   

• Like 4

Found this editorial on Huffington Post about people with disabilities at Kings Island. Maybe someone should have this guy go to one of the charity events geared directly towards people with disabilities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-lipp/lesson-in-accessibility-a_b_7972334.html

It took a while, but my comment finally got posted.  One point I wish I had made was that he can't expect Kings Island to acquiesce in the removal of a prescribed medical device in order to ride one of their rides.  The converse of that is "Kings Island made me take off my medical device to ride their ride."  If something went wrong that argument would be used against Kings Island by both the injured person and Kings Island's insurer, and it would likely prevail. 

I am disappointed that  the Huffington Post lets this guy use their website to vent his personal issues.  The article is anything but objective.  He is writing about a bad experience he had personally and not something that affects the disabled community at large.  Moreover, he makes no attempt to understand the reason why Kings Island has the policies that effected him.   

For some reason, your particular post reminded me of when I was young and had a broken arm, and how different people view KI employees.

I was in Hannah Barbera Land at the time, so that tells you my age.

I was hit by a car that summer, and broke my right arm. Big old plaster cast. As as anyone can see by reading my posts, nothing stops me. 

I was clamoring onto the log flume ride with my sister, when the ride operator offered me a plastic Kings Island shopping bag to wrap my cast in.

This is the 70's, This was way before crying over every little thing and suing people for a sideways glance. I was so grateful for the free bag, 

Today, with the potential of my not being able to hold the bar of the rollercoaster correctly, or possibly wrenching my elbow or knocking the cast and rebreaking my arm, I doubt I'd be able to ride anything in the park due to the arm cast.

But I can see the reasoning. Every person that walks in the gates is a potential lawsuit if their drink isn't cold enough, or their fries not hot enough. Cedar Faire has to think two steps ahead of every little contingency.

• Like 5

eae0abf848b0b7db1df1d0f327ff7b09.jpg

The clock is back and keeping time, but probably not for long if parents keep allowing this kind of thing. A moment after I took the picture, they all started running up around the outside of the clock while their mothers watched and smiled. I moved on before I could see if they started stomping the flowers and sitting on the mechanism...

• Like 15

I look forward to 2016 with great expectation! Having grown up in a certain kind of ... belief system, I've expected the whole world to come to an end every single year since I was 9, so all of these 'bonus' years have been a roller coaster of blessings, cursings, good times and bad, and I'm amazed at what I've witnessed!

I was taught something about a "Loud Trump" signalling the end. Based on that, it seems it's upon us  :P, what with floods, fires, kids running amok through venerable landscaping displays... so in 2016, I'm just going to party like it's 1999!

• Like 6

Earlier this week, while in line for Woodstock Gliders, I overheard a conversation between a young man and his daughter (4-5 years old). He turned to her and said, "This used to be my favorite ride as a kid! I am so glad they put a new one in!"

She then proceeded to drag him back through the line at least 3 more times- with a huge smile on both of their faces every time.

It may have been my favorite moment at Kings Island this summer....  "Memories That Last a Lifetime"

• Like 17

Earlier this week, while in line for Woodstock Gliders, I overheard a conversation between a young man and his daughter (4-5 years old). He turned to her and said, "This used to be my favorite ride as a kid! I am so glad they put a new one in!"

She then proceeded to drag him back through the line at least 3 more times- with a huge smile on both of their faces every time.

It may have been my favorite moment at Kings Island this summer....  "Memories That Last a Lifetime"

That's why I was so pleased to hear about scouts looking for vintage rides. Trying to describe the rides from my childhood to younger guests just wrinkles their brows, and they don't know the fun of those rides.

• Like 10