Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Two years is Cedar Fair's typical time before a show is rotated out. Audiences get show fatigue.

Show fatigue? Huh? Every Disney and Universal park has had the same shows for many, many years. People keep coming back to watch them. And I would definitely say many people would come back to watch Cirque Imagine.

I'm extremely upset.

• Like 3

Why does that happen with shows at KI? Why can't we get a show that just stays? I don't understand it. I'm actually on the verge of crying right now. That just dumbfounds me. Same thing happened to Ed Alonzo. Seriously?!

Two years is Cedar Fair's typical time before a show is rotated out. Audiences get show fatigue.

Show fatigue? Huh? Every Disney and Universal park has had the same shows for many, many years. People keep coming back to watch them. And I would definitely say many people would come back to watch Cirque Imagine.

I'm extremely upset.

Destination park for world wide visits versus a regional park... Its also why different Broadway touring groups come to Cincy each year, or we would get a Wicked/Avenue Q/Rent for every show.  These things happen.   

Plus actors get fatigued as well.  

• Like 4

Did they say where it will be?

Terp, who feels a trip to Seabreeze coming on.

If anyone's had a short conversation about what's next with the performers, you have a pretty good idea of where the show could end up; if anywhere.

I'm thinking of a recently mentioned place, but we won't know until we know.

Why does that happen with shows at KI? Why can't we get a show that just stays? I don't understand it. I'm actually on the verge of crying right now. That just dumbfounds me. Same thing happened to Ed Alonzo. Seriously?!

I'm extremely upset.

Destination park for world wide visits versus a regional park... Its also why different Broadway touring groups come to Cincy each year, or we would get a Wicked/Avenue Q/Rent for every show.  These things happen.   

Plus actors get fatigued as well.  

As a performer in high school and the now, YES we do! Gotta shake it up, and never get too comfortable with the same routine; Always strive for further excellence (and fun :P)

• Like 2

Too bad that doesn't apply to mazes at a Haunt stranded on an Island.

I'm extremely upset.

The difference is that Disney and even Universal continuously add new technologies and scenes to some of their longer-standing shows (Fantasmic!, Illuminations, World of Color, 360 Spectacular, Graveyard Revue, Waterworld, etc.) to keep them relatively fresh to newer audiences. Disney and Universal also don't stick to just contemporary music revue shows as their only means of non ride-able entertainment (Cirque Imagine and Skeleton Crew notwithstanding).

• Like 2

I'm not sure what, if anything, I've done right but I now have a niece and nephew that are like their oldest brother in their love for riding roller coasters. Today was a huge success with the youngest two now being at 48". A whole world opened up for them. Backlot Stunt Coaster, Dodgem, Zephyr, The Racer, Adventure Express, The Bat, and of course, The Beast. I heard a quiet "woohooo!" from my niece on The Bat and it made me smile. It's pretty awesome to watch a nervous look change into a big grin during the course of a ride.

It might seem silly, but I'm really relieved by their excitement about the bigger rides. As a chaperone, I've seen numerous 4-8th graders refuse to ride anything. Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case here!

• Like 12

I'm not sure what, if anything, I've done right but I now have a niece and nephew that are like their oldest brother in their love for riding roller coasters. Today was a huge success with the youngest two now being at 48". A whole world opened up for them. Backlot Stunt Coaster, Dodgem, Zephyr, The Racer, Adventure Express, The Bat, and of course, The Beast. I heard a quiet "woohooo!" from my niece on The Bat and it made me smile. It's pretty awesome to watch a nervous look change into a big grin during the course of a ride.

It might seem silly, but I'm really relieved by their excitement about the bigger rides. As a chaperone, I've seen numerous 4-8th graders refuse to ride anything. Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case here!

No it's not silly! I'm frankly kinda warmed to hear someone else is enjoying watching someone they care about starting to like coasters. Because they're taking enjoyment in something that you (we all) love very dearly.. It's very pleasing for someone to share the same likes as you.. especially when it's something that comes with such passion and probably nostalgia.

For me, this progression is being seen with my girlfriend, she seems very determined to ride more and more, and it very much excites me. She even has made a goal to herself to ride Diamondback by next year and I am excited that she is starting to enjoy rides more and more!

• Like 6

In Ohio, a minor can be in the bar and even CONSUME in such an establishment as long as the parent, etc., does the serving, unless something has changed.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4301.69

See ( B ), et seq.

Just because it's ok by law still doesn't mean it's ethically right. Sure let's put kids at the bar where me and a few friends decide to throw back a few Pale Ales and enjoy the evening hours of the park. Kids have no place there, its where alcohol is consumed, it looks trashy.

Needless to say after 15 minutes of no greeting, water, menus, or even acknowledgement of my presence, we decided to leave. Especially after seeing more terrible beer pours. I'm not asking for IPAs in Tulip glasses. Just pour my draft so I can actually enjoy the glass and not four fingers of wasted foam.

I took my money and business to Panda Express. Let a third party that generally has done things well all year have my money. I clearly can't let the park competently serve me at this point.

In Ohio, a minor can be in the bar and even CONSUME in such an establishment as long as the parent, etc., does the serving, unless something has changed.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4301.69

See ( B ), et seq.

Just because it's ok by law still doesn't mean it's ethically right. Sure let's put kids at the bar where me and a few friends decide to throw back a few Pale Ales and enjoy the evening hours of the park. Kids have no place there, its where alcohol is consumed, it looks trashy.....

Assuming the kids weren't being served alcohol by their parents, what's the big deal? It's Kings Island. Not a bar district.

• Like 6

I did something at the park last week I have never done before:  saw a show twice in one visit.  It was Cirque Imagine.  I went at 3pm and it was the best performance I have seen in '14 or '15!  The crowd was enthusiastic and the performers were at the top of the game.

The 7pm show did not let me down.  The crowd was smaller, but the performers were just as intense.

I am not an emotional guy, but I have to admit that the combination of the excellence of the performers, the loud music, the crowd reaction and the thought that this was probably the last time I would see this show at the Kings Island Theater made me a little sad. 

I hope whatever replaces this builds on this foundation.

• Like 10

Too bad that doesn't apply to mazes at a Haunt stranded on an Island.

I'm extremely upset.

The difference is that Disney and even Universal continuously add new technologies and scenes to some of their longer-standing shows (Fantasmic!, Illuminations, World of Color, 360 Spectacular, Graveyard Revue, Waterworld, etc.) to keep them relatively fresh to newer audiences. Disney and Universal also don't stick to just contemporary music revue shows as their only means of non ride-able entertainment (Cirque Imagine and Skeleton Crew notwithstanding).

Disney and Universal also do not attract the same crowd as Kings Island.  Disney and Universal are "destination" resorts where the majority of its visitors are not passholders.  When you have different people every day, it's more acceptable to show the same shows, simply because those people haven't seen the show before.

Kings Island however, is heavily saturated by passholders, who return to the park frequently.  It's important to keep adding new things to give passholders new things to check out.

• Like 7

In Ohio, a minor can be in the bar and even CONSUME in such an establishment as long as the parent, etc., does the serving, unless something has changed. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4301.69

See ( B ), et seq.

Just because it's ok by law still doesn't mean it's ethically right. Sure let's put kids at the bar where me and a few friends decide to throw back a few Pale Ales and enjoy the evening hours of the park. Kids have no place there, its where alcohol is consumed, it looks trashy.

Needless to say after 15 minutes of no greeting, water, menus, or even acknowledgement of my presence, we decided to leave. Especially after seeing more terrible beer pours. I'm not asking for IPAs in Tulip glasses. Just pour my draft so I can actually enjoy the glass and not four fingers of wasted foam.

I took my money and business to Panda Express. Let a third party that generally has done things well all year have my money. I clearly can't let the park competently serve me at this point.

I'd never thought of it that way before. I'd been going to bars with family as long as I could remember, especially bars that also served food.

I suspect that some were restaurants or grilles that also served beer.

Maybe they were Irish or Irish American, and that was just, as my mother would put it, "Their way."

• Like 2

(In response to electricsun's recent post about riding coasters with her niece and nephew)

It's not silly; I totally get it. I was so proud when my 6 year old cousin rode The Bat for the first time and enjoyed it (and this was after his first ride on The Beast. I certainly wasn't that brave at 6 years old!) Also, I love The Bat, so it warmed my heart to hear he enjoyed it. :D

• Like 6

I saw two people on Wednesday with Fast Lane Plus. They were walking into The Beast line when it was dispatching mostly empty trains. It probably would have been faster for them to just walk into the normal line. I felt bad for them, because it was a complete waste on that day. With that said, a friendly reminder: Don't buy Fast Lane until you're in the park and have seen the lines. (Unless it's free with your Gold Pass renewal). 

• Like 13

I hadn't noticed they were gone! The Google Earth street view of the park is from when Invertigo was still McYellow, and the Starlight Short-Outular were still in place, and it has lots of trees around the base of the tower. One of them looks like it was dying, so that could explain its removal.

• Like 7