Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I'm going to thinking about Kings Island the entire winter, let the countdown begin.

Speaking of which, when is the countdown clock going to start?

You could try to pin point a date in April and try your best with that. Or, if you don't want to count forwards but back to the last day, feel free to keep track with my poll series as it will keep track of the weeks from the last day at KI15.

• Like 1

Ok, talk about weird.  I tried to call the number KI provided about auditions to ask a question, but I'm being directed to an answering machine.  I'm confused about what I'm supposed to do.  I was expecting to talk to a real person.  I'm not even sure if its the right place I'm calling.  

• Like 2

According to the Kings Island Facebook page, Backlot Stunt Coaster just had a record year in 2015. It gave over 824,568 rides. For a 10-year old ride with supposed low capacity, that's a huge number. Then again, I did notice this year whenever I viewed the webcams the BLSC crew was getting trains out like clockwork this year.

IMO, BLSC deserves the 824,000+ rides it got as it is a fun little coaster. I have to wonder if/when the park will release the rest of the numbers for the other rides though...

• Like 14

I just had the BEST news concerning auditions.  They are allowing sax auditions on either alto or tenor sax, so I don't need to have both.  

If you see smoke coming from the west side of Cincy, its likely me prepping my songs for the audition sessions next weekend.  

So, SO excited!

• Like 14

Hi I am new to this board and I am hoping someone here can help.  I have been going to KI since I can remember (I'm 43) and have raised my kids to know the greatness that is KI amusement park!  My 13 yr old son is obsessed with Boo Blasters on Boo Hill.  He even turned our front yard into Bleakstone Manor on Halloween.  I am trying to get any merchandise from this ride for him for Christmas, but am unable to locate anything. Ideally, I would love to get a boo blaster (from Scooby's Haunted Mansion) that they used to sell, but any merch will do.  Can anyone point me in a direction or have any leads for me?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Like 6

Welcome to the boards!

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for where you can find that. I did a lot of eBay watching for Kings Island merchandise last winter, and I never saw anything from Boo Blasters.

I guess my only real suggestion is if you know someone who is crafty they may be able to make you something, working off pictures.

Edit:

Now I think of it, I actually own one thing, the paperboard glasses they used to sell to make it look 3-D. I got a few pairs at the arcade when they were unloading them the end of summer 2014. If you're at all interested in those, feel free to message me.

• Like 4

Auditions went pretty well.  Aside from one minor squeak when I tried to go high (I hit the note later though B) ), I am satisfied with what I played.  I thought I sounded close to my best (given the pieces I had, pop music is stupid easy to play so its hard to find something to show off on).  

I'll be on pins and needles until March.  I'm supposed to get a call by then if I'm chosen.

silver2005- being patient.  

It was also cool to see behind the scenes at Kings Island Theater and International Street tucked away for the off-season.  I didn't realize the fountain had so many...well...fountains (got to see it drained).    Its also very odd hearing the park so quiet. 

• Like 14

Really? They hold auditions in early November, but they don't do callbacks until March? How does it take four months to evaluate the candidates?

The calls start in December according to the standard note they gave those who auditioned.  March is the point where if you don't get said call, you aren't gonna get a part.  

• Like 6

If they have a system in place similar to the early 2000s, they also have to consider alternate performers in case something happens to the primary performers. Having previous alternates audition again if interested and seeing if their availability matches with the schedule for the season. A work friend was an alternate singer for a few years. He would have to go and sing again as well as make sure his measurements hadn't changed. 

edited to change "previous years" to 2000s...geesh, that was more than a few years ago. 

• Like 4

Welcome to the boards!

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for where you can find that. I did a lot of eBay watching for Kings Island merchandise last winter, and I never saw anything from Boo Blasters.

I guess my only real suggestion is if you know someone who is crafty they may be able to make you something, working off pictures.

Edit:

Now I think of it, I actually own one thing, the paperboard glasses they used to sell to make it look 3-D. I got a few pairs at the arcade when they were unloading them the end of summer 2014. If you're at all interested in those, feel free to message me.

I have tons of those glasses in a metal tin a my house, I feel like one day they'll become a Kings Island collectible.

• Like 3

I love Kings Island, and I love the way they have stepped up in the customer service/employee engagement in 2014/2015, but I have to share a knock my socks off experience I had last week.

I decided to get a 2016 Dollywood gold pass.  This includes 2015 visits.  I went last week and had a great time, despite car trouble during the 3.5 hour drive.

I bought two t-shirts at the Wild Eagle gift shop, one for me and one for my budding coaster-enthusiast friend.  She takes a different size than me.  Later, when leaving for the night, I looked and realized I had bought her size too big.  You exit the park through a gift shop, so I asked an employee if the shirt could be exchanged.  She said yes, but they did not sell that particular shirt.  I replied that I had a long drive, so my friend would just have a big shirt.  She said, no, that's not going to happen.  She sent someone to the other side of the park to exchange the shirt for me.  Unfortunately, they did not have the size  my friend needed.  I waited for the employee to return so I could thank him.  He introduced himself as the director of merchandising for the park.

I stopped by guest services, filled out a comment form.  The next day, I got an email from Dollywood that acknowledged my compliment and an assurance that the employees would be notified.

I got a similar response from Kentucky Kingdom when I filled out comment forms at guest services.

I firmly believe in giving compliments and there were many times I did at Kings Island over the past two seasons.  While I don't expect to be "in the loop" with internal affairs, I would like to know that employees know that they are appreciated.  I wish Kings Island would step up in the follow-up area.

• Like 9