Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Re: the new Flyers and snappability, from someone who can snap the Carowinds and KD flyers with ease, and has snapped Larsons before.

Ours are a maybe. I feel like if the cycle were 3 or 4 laps longer, it would be very doable. As it is, on my first cycle, I got very, very close, but couldn't quite get it to snap. I think they, like most other Larsons I've ridden, are snappable iff conditions are right and the rider knows the technique.

Also, the control panel is not the same as the one at Hartland, so without looking closely, I cannot say if a high and low speed setting exists and which is in use if it does.

The rudders are also very resistant to being moved compared to any other set I've ridden, which makes it harder. I assume that this will improve as they get broken in.

• Like 6

Also, the control panel is not the same as the one at Hartland, so without looking closely, I cannot say if a high and low speed setting exists and which is in use if it does.

I stood in the Fast Lane line (with a front-of-the-line pass won from the spin-the-wheel game; yes, I'm still addicted that darn thing) for the better part of two cycles, and the Fast Lane line is literally right next to the control panel, so I got a good look at it. Unless there is a speed setting on the digital display, there isn't one at all. There certainly isn't a knob or button for speed control.

I tried to take a picture of the control panel, but by the time I got up there, it was fully dark, and I couldn't get a decent shot.

• Like 7

Thanks for the pics everyone! Can't wait to go out tomorrow and see everything for myself. The train station building looks great! Going to try and get on the Flyers first thing tomorrow. Regarding the snapability, I wonder if some of the resistance is just from the ride being so new that it needs to break in a little? That's a complete guess coming from someone who has yet to achieve a good snap on any Flying Eagles before, but it seems likely.

Either way, the park updates look great!

• Like 8

As far as the whole Diamond"stack" comments, realize this is literally the first day that most of the crew has been on the ride with actual guests on it and not in "training mode."

Know that I'm not making excuses, but I'm being realistic. Diamondback is more noticeable IMHO because the popularity.

I'm sorry I came off a lot more snarky than I intended or felt, and you're right to call me out for it. I know they're still learning, and have every likelihood of becoming a great crew as the summer progresses. I wouldn't have said anything negative to their faces, so I shouldn't be so negative sounding here for the same reason.

Even Banshee stacked last night. It was actually pretty dramatic the way everything shook as the train came in behind my stopped one, especially since I was in the back row.

There were a surprising number of technical difficulties last night, too. I never have been to an opening (or pre-opening) day before, so I didn't realize how many kinks arise during the offseason. I just assumed the rides that usually work smoothly would continue to (and ones that are usually temperamental would continue to be).

I'm sure a lot of the problems got worked out, which is why I think this pass preview night is a really good idea for the park. They get to work out the snags with a group of attendees that are happy just to be allowed in the park. Since we didn't pay specifically for admission to this event, it's low pressure. Most of us will be back several times over the summer so if we don't get to do something or something goes wrong, it's really not a big deal. And we feel (rightly) that we've received a special perk by helping them debug.

• Like 6

I was reading some things on there yesterday. Was mainly the same old stuff. People complaining about high prices and unsafe rides that catch on fire.

Those high price folks should come to FL some time where it is gonna cost you over a hundred bucks just to get in the gates.

• Like 5

The long lines and my own lack of sleep combined to make my day less than stellar, but getting to spend some time with people from KIC and get to know them a little better was the highlight of my day. Although I wish I could have finally met The Interpreter too.

It was also nice to be surprised by what may well turn out to be a new favorite ride. I never rode the old Flying Eagles (that I remember, although I may have once or twice as a passenger when I was small). So, I wasn't all that excited by the Woodstock Gliders, and only decided to ride them to get the t-shirt. I really had a lot of fun! I've gotten so used to rides where the only control you have is (sometimes) what seat you choose. It was exciting to get the Glider into a rhythm and make it swoop farther and farther. I will certainly be giving it many more tries this summer. I need to do more research into snapping.

• Like 8

Gosh darn it! There's no sign of one on the mobile site that I have a message unless I happen to check the menu, which I never think to do.

Tapatalk and push notifications. Oftentimes, I have no idea how I'd keep track of things at a meetup without them.

Fun day! Park looks great (although I miss Glass Blower in its old spot, and I miss the Wood Carving shop altogether). Tower Gardens looks wide open without the waterfall, and with the new layout, I guess. Anyway, off to a great 2015 for sure!

Tb has left the building (gotta go soak the sore and tired ol' "dogs" after all this walking). Great meeting everyone! See ya around! :)

• Like 6

Thanks for the suggestion. I already use Tapatalk to post images, I will look into making it tell me I have a PM. I didn't know it could do that.

(This is for Android; the process should be similar on an iPhone.) First, go into the main settings screen (from the "home" screen of the app, not from within KIC) and turn on notifications and select the ringtone you want. Then open KIC, hit the menu button, and choose settings, then notifications, and select what you want to be notified of. The default choices are a little aggressive, so you'll probably want to turn some off. I have mine set for notifications for subscribed topics and PMs, and nothing else.

• Like 5

I used to love taking pictures of his works through the windows, with the tower in the background, and to just stand there and watch him create things with fire. Now it's a kiosk across the midway; no torch, no windows; the person working there telling me they do their blowing at Trader's World now... I just miss the old location, that's all.

WaynesWorld2.jpg

WaynesWorld.jpg

• Like 7

Oh, that explains it, I was wondering why it was not their. Today was a great day and not too busy as past opening days. I would say the longest line I saw was about 90-120 minutes so not too bad. My only huge complaint would be the poor service by the food services. I literally waited 15 minutes to ride Shake Rattle and Roll while they were getting food from the Jukebox Diner and when I got off they still had not gotten their food! It also took them 15 minutes just for me to order a bucket of fresh cut fries, Festhaus Pizza was even worse with he wait being about 30 minutes! They realy need to up their game in the terms of that area. I would say that most of the park right now is really well upkept, Blue Racer looked a little bit unkept for some reason when I looked at it closely but otherwise KI was neat. I would say the ride that desperately needs a repainting is Diamondback, the part after the Splashdown has turned like a pinkish white and the supports now have a like very faded yellow color to it. The track other than after the Splashdown does not need to be repainted. They did a great job with refurbishing Shake Rattle and Roll and it looked very neat. The park needs to improve in some areas, but otherwise it was a great visit that was worth my time and money. 9/10

• Like 3

It also took them 15 minutes just for me to order a bucket of fresh cut fries, Festhaus Pizza was even worse with he wait being about 30 minutes

Hmm... It sounds like they had to go harvest the potatoes, wheat, and tomatoes, then slice to order for those food items. :(

Sorry for the double post. Meant to combine these two but the tea hasn't kicked in yet.

• Like 3