Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Apparently it was true(?). My Grandma (who was coincidently in the park the same day as me with some cousins) went to the front of the line and asked the associate working there and he said that Tower Drinks was the only one selling them. I'm not sure what was up with that. It doesn't seem logical to say they "ran out" of souvenir cups at the other food stands. Not logical at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I do know they've run out of the blue 2015 ones and have been selling the purple 2014 ones (with a 2015 sticker/barcode on them I guess). I guess maybe to condense what they have left of those before they get a new supply, they might have started selling them only in one place.

That is if they are getting a new supply and not just planning on selling them until they're out of stock and saying "forget it" for the rest of the season (pushing daily drink bands instead possibly). It is getting pretty late in the season, I would think, for the souvenir cup to be /that/ good of a deal for the purchaser.

• Like 5

Adding to the discussion of the souvenir cups being sold in one place, I did notice that Hank's Back Porch (the bar across from Adventure Express) was out of souvenir cups as the man in front of me tried to buy one. 

Also, I had a fantastic day. Started in the waterpark with minimal waits on my favorite water slides, then did Diamondback, Bat, Gliders, visited the Petting Farm, Vortex, 5:00 Cirque, Banshee, and ended the day was a 5-ride marathon on The Bat! 

Finally, I noticed Beast's line was pretty long today (like, to the lower queue). 

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I got plenty of exercise as I hiked from Bat all the way to Soak City lockers to eat lunch (I got Subway).

• Like 5

I went on Friday; and for some strange reason, Tower Drinks had a ridiculously long line. I asked a guest why they were waiting there and they said that apparently that was the only place that sold Souvenir Cups.

Really.

That's pretty funny. Wonder if there was an uninformed associate who told them that or just uninformed guests.

Apparently it was true(?). My Grandma (who was coincidently in the park the same day as me with some cousins) went to the front of the line and asked the associate working there and he said that Tower Drinks was the only one selling them. I'm not sure what was up with that. It doesn't seem logical to say they "ran out" of souvenir cups at the other food stands. Not logical at all.

On Saturday (8/1) the park was completely sold out of cups except for the stand out in front of the gate.  We walked around from 10-12 trying to find a cup till we were told to leave the park and get one outside (it was the purple one with the 2015 bar code).  When we were in the water park, I was purchasing food at the hot dog stand when a sup had mentioned to a worker that they just delivered cups to the subway but didnt expect them to be there for more than a few minutes....

I do know they've run out of the blue 2015 ones and have been selling the purple 2014 ones (with a 2015 sticker/barcode on them I guess). I guess maybe to condense what they have left of those before they get a new supply, they might have started selling them only in one place.

That is if they are getting a new supply and not just planning on selling them until they're out of stock and saying "forget it" for the rest of the season (pushing daily drink bands instead possibly). It is getting pretty late in the season, I would think, for the souvenir cup to be /that/ good of a deal for the purchaser.

We went yesterday with some family from out of town.  They wanted to buy a drink band but were not allowed to because they can only be purchased online (thats what they were told).  So they had to buy a souvenir cup and then were given green Saturday bands.  The workers at every booth did not scan the cups but looked for the green bands.  A guy in front of us said he lost his and they gave him a new one (and free refills).....

The cups are still a good deal because 2 pops would be $10, so even for my out of town family 2 souvenir cups for $30 (without gold discount) was a better deal than buying 3 drinks for 2 meals since they were able to refill them as they wanted...

• Like 3

100% agreed.  

I really do love the park but man some things are really starting to pile up that make it hard to enjoy the park (the lack of a floral clock, the smoking sections located right on the walkway versus just off of the walk way, the lack of shadey spots to sit and enjoy the park (there are a few left but some of these are turned into smoking sections), running out of souvenir cups, slow food lines, rude/poor customer service, the locker fiasco, Dinosaurs sort of Alive, the prices of food and drinks, lack of paint on Racer, the disrepair of other ride parts-lights etc).

Yet the park takes steps forward in other areas like the refurbishment of Shake Rattle and Roll (which looks great), the Gliders and the other new Planet Snoopy ride, the petting zoo in PS, the relative "cheapness" of buying a season pass and food pass and the amount of memories that allows for my son and I to make.  

Maybe Im just being overly picky.  Maybe its comparing it to Disney.  Maybe Im just starting to wonder what Im getting for my money... We will probably renew for next year as its a cheap summer experience for my family....

• Like 6

There are ways they could improve. Every park could improve. Disney perfection comes at a Disney price. This is only half-true.

The only barrier for me not visiting the park more is my location. Any closer and I'd have the dining plan. As long as the price is right and the thrills keep flowing, I'll probably keep coming back. I'm lucky to have had good luck when it comes to food lines and customer service. Let's hope that improves, since talk is cheap.

• Like 1

I've also been to Alabama Adventure, Lake Winnie, the Kentucky Kingdom gate, and Six Flags Over Georgia this year.

A visit to Kings Island can be and is combined with many other things.

If things go well, I need to get to Six Flags New England and Dorney Park this year. And maybe Disneyland/Six Flags Magic Mountain. And Camden Park.

• Like 8

Just saw two people who know how to make Woodstock gliders work. Because they were able to snap. And able to hit their cars together haha

That was a fluke occurrence. I know because I was on the ride at the time and the people were from CP, and they were being taught how to snap. They did not expect to encounter the repeated swinging motion after the ride was completed. It was not a "hit" but a minor bump. That occasionally happens with Bisch-Rocco models as the Carowinds glider had several bumps on media day.
  • Like 1

"Familiarity breeds contempt."

Frequent visits make it easier to see flaws.

If you went to Disney as often....

Also, you are making incredible memories for the kiddo.

Terpy you have no idea.  I was beyond proud of the things mini-shark has accomplished this year.  This year he rode the mini-whip (and broke into tears causing the ride to stop, but he rode it), he rode the bumper cars for the first time (backwards in a circle but now has figured out how to make them go into straight lines), went to the water park, and so much more.  These memories are honestly worth 10x the amount that we pay for the passes and food.  

And you are right familiarity does breed contempt.  I have been more in the past 2 years than I have been in the last 10.  I see the flaws but go because of the memories and it really is a treasure to have so close..

• Like 4

100% agreed.  

I really do love the park but man some things are really starting to pile up that make it hard to enjoy the park (the lack of a floral clock, the smoking sections located right on the walkway versus just off of the walk way, the lack of shadey spots to sit and enjoy the park (there are a few left but some of these are turned into smoking sections), running out of souvenir cups, slow food lines, rude/poor customer service, the locker fiasco, Dinosaurs sort of Alive, the prices of food and drinks, lack of paint on Racer, the disrepair of other ride parts-lights etc).

Yet the park takes steps forward in other areas like the refurbishment of Shake Rattle and Roll (which looks great), the Gliders and the other new Planet Snoopy ride, the petting zoo in PS, the relative "cheapness" of buying a season pass and food pass and the amount of memories that allows for my son and I to make.  

Maybe Im just being overly picky.  Maybe its comparing it to Disney.  Maybe Im just starting to wonder what Im getting for my money... We will probably renew for next year as its a cheap summer experience for my family....

I completely agree with this. The last few times I have been down to Kings Island, I have noticed so many things that seem like an easy fix. Dinosaurs Alive!, food service, cleanliness, Boo Blasters, etc... It feels that the park has almost stopped caring and is just coasting until the end of daily operation, even though I know it isn't true. It feels like there is just a general lack of intention about things.

Being at Cedar Point earlier this week only made it stand out to me how many little things at Kings Island could be changed for the better. Put smoking sections away from the rest of the park. Touch up paint and lights. Put love and intention and pride into the park.

I do hope that all of these things aren't the case. Like Terp said, familiarity breeds contempt. But I am familiar with a couple of parks, and something about my "home park" seems off to me this season.

• Like 2

100% agreed.

Maybe Im just being overly picky. Maybe its comparing it to Disney. Maybe Im just starting to wonder what Im getting for my money... We will probably renew for next year as its a cheap summer experience for my family....

I completely agree with this. The last few times I have been down to Kings Island, I have noticed so many things that seem like an easy fix. Dinosaurs Alive!, food service, cleanliness, Boo Blasters, etc... It feels that the park has almost stopped caring and is just coasting until the end of daily operation, even though I know it isn't true. It feels like there is just a general lack of intention about things.

Being at Cedar Point earlier this week only made it stand out to me how many little things at Kings Island could be changed for the better. Put smoking sections away from the rest of the park. Touch up paint and lights. Put love and intention and pride into the park.

I do hope that all of these things aren't the case. Like Terp said, familiarity breeds contempt. But I am familiar with a couple of parks, and something about my "home park" seems off to me this season.

There are growing pains with any park moving from a large tourist destination into a internationally known park. KI has done a great job on upkeep this year, but I'll admit, some of the food services are lagging.

100% agreed.

Maybe Im just being overly picky. Maybe its comparing it to Disney. Maybe Im just starting to wonder what Im getting for my money... We will probably renew for next year as its a cheap summer experience for my family....

There are growing pains with any park moving from a large tourist destination into a internationally known park. KI has done a great job on upkeep this year, but I'll admit, some of the food services are lagging.