Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

• 2 weeks later...

Did Kings Island say whether or not they're repaving the parking lot or is there any evidence of such going on?  I mean, it's going to be straight up gravel in a few years the way its deteriorating.  

I haven't seen any formal announcement yet. Could be one of those things that's done without announcing. It makes sense to do, since travelling on new pavement until just past the new toll plaza, then going back onto the current pavement wouldn't look nice.  I know the lot is big, but the cost of repaving and re-striping can easily be recpatured in short order on one of the park's normal summer days.

• Like 6

If there was ever a year that it seemed like repaving the lot would be likely, you'd think it would be this year with the new toll plaza.

I won't pretend to know the cost of repaving that big lot, but the fact that it has gone this long and been allowed to get into its current condition should be embarrassing to the park... It's a slap in the face to the guest as soon as they arrive, pay all that money to park, and then pull into the lot in its current condition.. and not even a tram ride to the front gate offered.

You don't want people to start off their day with something to complain about. I hope it does get repaved this off-season because it's going to be way more noticeable after pulling through the new tolls.

• Like 6

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between residential and commercial blacktopping, but a relative of mine had to spend around 10k to have their driveway repaved.  Heck, I spent $500 to have mine sealed, and that was the average of the 4 bids I got.

In all honesty, I would love to see Cedar Fair spend the extra money and put some permeable paving solutions in.  That is a HUGE parking area and has to cause some negative environmental impact.

• Like 1

^ I'm all for using technology in a smart way, but this would seem counter-intuitive.  Unless is was a super durable material, wouldn't the solar be prone to breakage and therefore leakage of components?  Also, for a large percentage of the time solar would yield maximum benefits, the parking lot would be covered.

• Like 1

The Cincinnati Zoo has covered part of their parking lot with Solar Panels. Seems to be working there without leakage.

Jtro I'm confused why the panels would be covered up? They usually build like a mini building so the solar panels are on the roof. Then you can park in shade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between residential and commercial blacktopping, but a relative of mine had to spend around 10k to have their driveway repaved.  Heck, I spent $500 to have mine sealed, and that was the average of the 4 bids I got.

In all honesty, I would love to see Cedar Fair spend the extra money and put some permeable paving solutions in.  That is a HUGE parking area and has to cause some negative environmental impact.

From a transportation standpoint, the asphalt mixes are roughly the same; it's just a matter of how thick you want the pavement to be.  Here in Indiana, the first four sections of the new I-69 were able to be opened more quickly and cheaply than normal because the asphalt was not as thick as in the past.  Given how technology has improved since the last time the lot was repaved, i'm certain they could do more with less this go around.  At least until CF decides to expand the park into the current lot and build large parking garages at the edge of its property, like Universal Orlando did to expand CityWalk and Disneyland did to build CA and Downtown Disney.

• Like 3