Haunt show

Dalefan

If it were a special event, like one or two performances with their own separate entrance fee, I don't think their prices would be beyond KI.

Me, I'd go see either of them. I have been a fan of Alice Cooper ever since he appeared on The Muppet Show (or from the time I saw the episode, I think I was still a baby when he was on), and I've liked Weird Al since middle school.

• Like 4

Have you checked concert prices lately? A friend took me to a Sting concert at Churchill Downs about five years ago. The tickets, which were not even for particularly good seats, were upwards of $150 each. And that venue is way bigger than Timberwolf.

There is a reason that, other than Spirit Song, there are no concerts at Kings Island.

Yes, Great Adventure has big name acts, but they do not have fireworks very often. Would you be willing to give up fireworks for concerts?

• Like 2

Have you checked concert prices lately? A friend took me to a Sting concert at Churchill Downs about five years ago. The tickets, which were not even for particularly good seats, were upwards of $150 each. And that venue is way bigger than Timberwolf.

There is a reason that, other than Spirit Song, there are no concerts at Kings Island.

Yes, Great Adventure has big name acts, but they do not have fireworks very often. Would you be willing to give up fireworks for concerts?

Sting charges alot due to him being a big singer. I have seen acts like Cher and Barbara Streisand charge a whole lot more for tickets.

• Like 1

Considering I'm a morning person (so stayed long enough for fireworks a grand total of twice out of 30-40 visits last summer), and have been spoiled by excellent fireworks shows elsewhere anyway, I certainly would be willing to give them up.

I'm sure that is by no means a popular sentiment, and wouldn't choose for everyone else to have to forego them, though.

I guess you're right about concert tickets. I wonder how much of that actually goes to the performers, and how much of it is Ticketmaster and the venues gouging people.

• Like 1

Often for big acts Ticketmaster gets their service fee which is disclosed on the face of the ticket, venue and act split 70/30 or so for ticket sales, merch goes to the act, and whoever owns the concessions gets that money.

For a big name act to perform essentially for free at Haunt would be tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the act of course.

As an interesting side note, Alice Cooper actually did make an appearance at Haunt (then Fearfest) in 2000 or 2001 as a guest host of the Celebrity Execution show. He was in town to perform at US Bank Arena that weekend.

• Like 4

I remember when Weird Al use to perform at Kings Island's Timberwolf back when I was a kid back in the 80s. If my memory serves me right concerts were like $6 a seat if you were a season pass holder. You had to stand in line at Kings Island at the season pass windows outside the park to get tickets (no Ticketmaster)---the lines use to go out into the parking lot but it was worth it. Besides Werid Al that came to TimberwoIf on more than one occasion I also saw Men at Work, Huey Lewis and the News, Thompson Twins, etc. all at Timberwolf. Ahh the memories and the awesome concert ticket prices much different from the prices of today and Ticketmaster service fees. A Weird Al Haunt special event concert would be cool and very nostalgic for some of us born in the 70s.

• Like 4

Would love to see either of them Alice Cooper would be great for Halloween but agree that it probably wouldn't be int eh budget, especially for all the Halloween season.

Could be nice if they could get someone decent at least though that might be cheaper or even someone that could do good cover performances and do a musical show around acts like Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath instead of the Monster Rock show they do now.

If they did get someone like Alice Cooper be cool to have a maze themed to them/their music like Universal has done as well. Could be interesting to at least get a theme each year with a mascot like them too. Last year would have been great to have Eve as the mascot type character of Halloween Haunt and have a Celtic/Irish maze themed around her

• Like 2

I remember when Weird Al use to perform at Kings Island's Timberwolf back when I was a kid back in the 80s. If my memory serves me right concerts were like $6 a seat if you were a season pass holder. You had to stand in line at Kings Island at the season pass windows outside the park to get tickets (no Ticketmaster)---the lines use to go out into the parking lot but it was worth it. Besides Werid Al that came to TimberwoIf on more than one occasion I also saw Men at Work, Huey Lewis and the News, Thompson Twins, etc. all at Timberwolf. Ahh the memories and the awesome concert ticket prices much different from the prices of today and Ticketmaster service fees. A Weird Al Haunt special event concert would be cool and very nostalgic for some of us born in the 70s.

I saw Weird Al's last KI concert, which was probably 2005 or so. It didn't sell out, but there were a reasonable number of people there. I thought it was weird because a friend of mine was a big fan and bought tickets the day they went on sale and was two sections back. Myself and another friend bought them 10 minutes before the concert started on a whim and were in the second row, nearly center.

I think this was mentioned a few pages ago, but let's be clear about the Timberwolf. It's not that KI or CF doesn't care about having concerts - I'm sure they'd love to. The fact of the matter is times have changed greatly from the 80's when it was built until now. There are a lot more options for mid-sized venues. Timberwolf, by most peoples' standards, is sub-par compared to the others. Especially PNC Pavillion. The more modern a facility is, typically the easier (and less costly) the set up and tear down is for the promoter. It's the same reason why Bob Dylan (I think) opted to do two nights at the Bank of Kentucky Center on NKU's campus rather than one night at US Bank Arena. It was worth the cost of staying an extra night just for the ease of operation.

Much of this reigns true for the Timberwolf. Additionally, promoters need to ensure that they sell a lot of tickets to be profitable. At the Timberwolf, you have to buy both park admission and concert admission. Why risk something like that for no gain? Realistically, the venue works well for things like Spirit Song - a festival that people travel long and far to see, but as far as a conventional concert venue, as it stands now, I don't see it going back to that.

• Like 4

No B or A list performer is going to waive his appearance fee at KI for any reason. Big legacy Acts charge upwards of $1 million just to show up. Even with the vast amount of profit the fall season generates for the park, i'd much rather see things like a Cirque Imagine show or an Ed Alonzo type magic act-something that rounds out the festivities, not detracts from them. Also keep in mind that if the Park is at least hinting of big coasters down the line, per the recent Twitter comments, then it can't spend what amounts to 7 figures to bring an act in. I recall a couple of summers ago, Mason brought in Huey Lewis and the News for July 4. It was a fun show, but it cost the city a pretty penny, esp given that admission was free. As mentioned above, no act that's even halfway known is going to want to play a small, bare bones amphitheater in the middle of an amusement park. I like what the park does for Halloween and hope to see it continue.

• Like 4

Or the pretended ignorance.

Imagine....

I have to agree here. Even the youngest Kanye fans probably know who Macca is and are just trolling looking for some free pub. They may not know that he was in 2 highly successful bands, but they at least have to know that he's famous. What up and coming artist do you know that's 70+ years old?

• Like 1

I'd love to see Midnight Syndicate at KI (well, chances are I wouldn't actually be able to see them there myself since I'd be working Haunt, unless they did Sunday shows too), especially since the venue they played at CP, Good Time Theatre, will be no more. Kings Island Theater would be a good spot for them. Although, the drive from Chardon to Mason would be a little longer than the drive to Sandusky for them. They put on a great show at HalloWeekends last year.

• Like 5

As an interesting side note, Alice Cooper actually did make an appearance at Haunt (then Fearfest) in 2000 or 2001 as a guest host of the Celebrity Execution show. He was in town to perform at US Bank Arena that weekend.

WEBN Celebrity Slaughter only ran in 2002, so it'd have to of been then.

• Like 1

Be careful what you wish for It's more apt to disappear than to be rehabilitated.

I've honestly been expecting that for a while now and wouldn't be terribly surprised if that happened within a decade or even sooner. I can't say whether I feel it would be a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, losing Timberwolf would be yet another piece of the park's history gone. However, if it no longer carries it weight, then perhaps the park could benefit from using the space for something else, besides storage and collecting cobwebs when not used for Spirit Song.

• Like 3

^Timberwolf can seat 10,000. Not sure how that number changes when you only consider seats in front of the control board.

And I imagine that Timberwolf will stick around for as long as Spirit Song makes it profitable enough for the park to keep it. Once that passes, I imagine Timberwolf will too.

• Like 2

Yea I don't see it going anywhere while Spirit Song is around. They have plenty of other land to develop and build on, plus other defunct buildings that are just used for storage or haunts. Timberwolf might not be used very much but it still brings in some revenue and crowds.

• Like 2