Cedar Point dive coaster?

It's been too long since I've been up there, but what is the possibility of "the sky is falling" comment on that article (that says several of the family-friendly rides* will be removed for the new coaster) actually being true? I don't think all of those are in the area of Good Times, but like I said, it's been awhile.

*"Turnpike Cars, Cadillac Cars, Dodgem, and Calypso" - I corrected the capitalization.

I need to go check Cedar Fair trademarks now :)

Edit: nothing recent. Have they used Centurion yet?

• Like 1

I'm still trying to get over the idea of a $15 million dive coaster.

That seems very...cheap.

Just for comparison, a simple Google search reveals that Oblivion cost $12 million, Sheikra cost $13.5 million and Griffon cost $15.6 million. It may seem "cheap" when dealing with coasters, but if this rumors turns out to be true, this would mean CP's would be right up there in caliber with what many people consider to be some of their favorite coasters.

In my opinion, what gives this rumor so much credibility is that in the past whenever the Sandusky Register has posted leaked blueprints, reports, memos, or anything like that, they turn out to be pretty accurate. Plus they claim to have quoted Bryan Edwards.

I really hope this is true, since I think this type of coaster would be great for the Point!

• Like 3

The $15 million price tag actually isn't too far off what a Dive Coaster would likely cost. SkieKra cost about 13.5 million back in 2005. Adjusted for inflation, that works out to about 16.3 million today. A potential new Dive Coaster being slightly shorter than ShieKra, a discount due to Cedar Fair buying so many B&M coasters lately, or even just 9 more years worth of knowledge as to where you can save money in the design and building process could easily make up that $1.3 million difference.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that I necessarily believe the article, only that the idea of a $15 million B&M Dive Coaster seems entirely plausible.

EDIT: Beaten. But one correction to make, Oblivion cost 12 million British pounds, not American Dollars, so it isn't quite a straight comparison.

And yes, I actually did spend 10 minutes finding data and doing calculations :P

• Like 5

Such great journalism there too... :rolleyes:

No info on where this memo came from. No info on what part of that memo indicates that this supposed $15 million dive coaster is intended for Cedar Point...

And misspelling B&M as "Bollinger & Mabillard"... 3 times after spelling it right the first time...

• Like 4

I'm still trying to get over the idea of a $15 million dive coaster.

That seems very...cheap.

Bear in mind that if the $15 million figure is legit and is coming from Bolliger & Mabillard Consulting Engineers Inc. (herein known as B&M). Therefore, this figure would only be for a contract between Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (herein known as CFEC) and B&M to design, engineer, test, and perhaps construct a roller coaster. It does not involve other work that might be needed. Depending on the specifics of the agreement, things like construction, site work, and thematic elements may be billed directly to CFEC by other entities. Thus, the total purchase price quoted by CFEC for a new ride (should it come to fruition) would include these other costs for the total project. For instance, see the front gate renovations and ride entrance plaza renovations for Gatekeeper and Fury 325. Those are likely not included in the figure provided by B&M to CFEC.

Please note that I have no direct tie to either B&M or CFEC. Therefore, everything I say is a matter of my personal interpretations. It's just another way of looking at things. Do not take it as guaranteed accurate. I cannot be held liable for your reliance on this information.

• Like 4

Still - if it is true, that would be, depending upon who you ask, four new coasters in four years. On the surface, it almost looks like a Kinzel-esque move, but it isn't at all. Three of these four would have brought things that the park desperately needed (a main gate facelift, an improved selection of rides for the youngsters, and a new breath of life for an old "favorite"). Certainly an impressive "track" record (ba-dum-tss).

In reference to the first sentence - I would consider it to be two coasters in four seasons. But, whether they are "new coasters" or not, it doesn't diminish the fact that Rougarou and Pipe Scream are very worthwhile investments.

• Like 1

Very disappointed in Cedar Fair if this is true especially if the multiple ride removal is true. There was a time Cedar Point had the best of both worlds, seems like the family rides/attractions are primarily what been seeing their way out.

Amusement parks are meant to be enjoyed by everyone, not just thrill seekers.

I made my thoughts known elsewhere so here on this thread I will refrain.

• Like 7

I would agree with that sentiment. Coasters are not what brings the families in. It's rides that everyone can do together.

Never been on a dive coaster. Not interested either. I would think that one, one trick pony coaster at CP would be enough.

• Like 6

A Dive Coaster at Cedar Point for $15,000,000...ehh, I don't see that meshing too well with their current lineup. The Dive Machine's whole "thing" is that it's supposed to be this huge, dominating coaster with a straight-down drop. But there's a problem- for $15 million, you're not going much past 200 feet tall and both Millennium Force and TTD blow that mark away. Oh, and TTD's drop is also straight-down- with a twist, but straight down. And Maverick boasts a BEYOND straight-down drop (maybe Gatekeeper too depending on how you view that first inversion). And then Gatekeeper and Rougarou will also have many of the other features of Dive Machines like Dive Loops, etc.

And for said $15,000,000 Cedar Point could get something that would fit in MUCH better. Wooden Coasters are fairly cheap and Cedar Point could really use a good, modern woodie- it wouldn't be as big or dominate the skyline or anything but GCI, the go-to company for Cedar Fair woodies, could EASILY build a world-class ride for that price- with 3 trains of course since CP would need the capacity. Or they could do something to try and get Mean Streak running much better (RMC?) getting rid of the 2nd of the park's seemingly constantly hated coasters (the other was Mantis). Or they could get that dark ride they have been needing for a while now...or add something new to Soak City. All of these things seem like better investments to me than a Dive Machine and would fit well with what the park already has. The only reason I can even think the Dive Machine would be added would be so CP could boast "World's Tallest Dive Machine" (by like 5-10 feet or something) to simply boast yet another record breaking coaster- which basically means they are adding a coaster simply to add a new coaster, and they decided it had to be steel and B&M because for some reason and a good Flying Coaster (the one remaining current B&M model I do honestly think would fit great at CP) didn't fit in the 15M budget. Either that or they are suddenly really pressed for space and this was all they could fit in- though dark rides don't need THAT much room...

Granted this is just a rumor at this point, and since most of the additions to Cedar Fair parks under Matt Ouimet have been making perfect sense until now, I'm thinking this rumor is dubious. I guess we'll have to wait it out and see.

• Like 2

^
Hmm...that would actually be interesting. Perhaps instead of 200 feet, something more around 100-150...and perhaps zero inversions, since those would seemingly automatically make it a thrill coaster (A Dive Coaster without inversions would automatically be very unique). And it would probably be small enough to not need to remove ANYTHING, and have money left in the budget for theming- tunnels, etc. I think this idea would fit a lot better than the giant thrill dive machines- plus since Disaster Transport and Wildcat are gone, CP could really use another family coaster.

• Like 2