Kings Island Super 8 reel from 1972

HarvestmanMan

Posted about this a couple days ago in the general off-topic thread, but I thought I'd stick it up here as well.

Last week I found this Super 8 film reel for a few dollars at an antique store in Newport.

yup4hFRl.jpg

I'm watching it so far, and among the rides attractions visible are:

• Racer
  • Giant Slide
  • Skyride
  • Unidentified ride involving boats with sails(?)
  • Multiple early Hanna-Barbera Land rides
  • ...and more

I'll try to capture it and post it here once I'm done. :) Quite an exciting find for me.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure KingsIslandPR may be interested in this. Can't wait to see it.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if it would be worth getting it professionally digitized...

There's quite a bit of footage left to record, but unfortunately my camera battery died on me. So in the meantime, I have about 2.5 minutes of the film rendering and uploading as we speak. There's also some really nice footage of Winnie Witch's Cauldrons - including Winnie herself spinning atop the ride, and Screamin' Demon in the background. Interestingly, the few photos of the ride floating around show the cauldrons as being black with flames - apparently when the ride was new, they were pastel-colored, resulting in a "Winnie Witch's Teacups" of sorts.

• Like 7

Which store in Newport was this?

Sin City Antiques. I may head back there this week to see if any of the other reels are worth buying.

Watched the rest of the reel, and it features some pretty good shots of Wheel Of Fortune and the Marathon Turnpike, as well as a short Enchanted Voyage cameo. Unfortunately, I've somehow put the reel on backwards and don't exactly know how to "rewind" it properly...will work on that when I return Friday evening.

(For the record, I think the ride in question is indeed Gulliver's Rub-A-Dub, judging by the proximity to the rest of the rides.)

• Like 4

Here's all the attractions featured and at what times.

0:03 - Dodgem

0:05 - Racer

0:12 - Flying Carpet

0:20 - Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad

0:49 - Gulliver's Rub-a-Dub (this is only the second time I've ever seen video of it, so kudos on the rare find)

1:00 - Enchanted Voyage

1:11 - Sky Ride

1:18 - Motor Mouse

1:20 - Scooby-Doo (in background)

1:24 - Kikky Kangaroo

1:54 - Winsome Witch's Caldron (it had multiple different, similar names at points)

Definitely a great find, and the 1972 date on the reel seems accurate (at the very latest it's 1974, based off Winsome Witch's Caldron having colored cauldrons. They were black by 1975). EDIT - The cauldrons were actually repainted in 1974, so this footage is for sure from 1972 or 1973. I'm assuming that the date on the front is accurate though.

• Like 6

Here's all the attractions featured and at what times.

0:03 - Dodgem

0:05 - Racer

0:12 - Flying Carpet

0:20 - Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad

0:49 - Gulliver's Rub-a-Dub (this is only the second time I've ever seen video of it, so kudos on the rare find)

1:00 - Enchanted Voyage

1:11 - Sky Ride

1:18 - Motor Mouse

1:20 - Scooby-Doo (in background)

1:24 - Kikky Kangaroo

1:54 - Winsome Witch's Caldron (it had multiple different, similar names at points)

Definitely a great find, and the 1972 date on the reel seems accurate (at the very latest it's 1974, based off Winsome Witch's Caldron having colored cauldrons. They were black by 1975).

Thanks - much appreciated. The red building at 1:30 seems to be the Sky Ride loading station that is currently a Peanuts souvenir shop, but I can't tell what the various shapes and structures around it are - perhaps part of the pentagonal Funky Phantom/Squiddly Diddly/Kikky Kangaroo/Motor Mouse structure?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread...I still have both reels and am preparing to get them digitized.

Unfortunately more than half of the Coney reel is filled with St. Patrick's Day Parade and family picnic stuff.  Whoever the camera operator in question was sure had a thing for mini skirts.  Kind of creepy actually.

Unfortunately, due to a belt-related incident involving my projector, I still haven't been able to see the rest of it.  Who knows how much actual Coney footage is on there.  The KI reel, however, is well worth checking out. Stay tuned...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HarvestmanMan said:

Resurrecting this thread...I still have both reels and am preparing to get them digitized.

Unfortunately more than half of the Coney reel is filled with St. Patrick's Day Parade and family picnic stuff.  Whoever the camera operator in question was sure had a thing for mini skirts.  Kind of creepy actually.

Unfortunately, due to a belt-related incident involving my projector, I still haven't been able to see the rest of it.  Who knows how much actual Coney footage is on there.  The KI reel, however, is well worth checking out. Stay tuned...

If it’s stuck inside, you could use an X-ray machine.

5 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

If it’s stuck inside, you could use an X-ray machine.

Not stuck inside - both films are intact. The problem was that the projector needed a new drive belt, and our replacement belt ended up partially melting and eventually broke from the heat of the lamp. 

23 minutes ago, HarvestmanMan said:

Not stuck inside - both films are intact. The problem was that the projector needed a new drive belt, and our replacement belt ended up partially melting and eventually broke from the heat of the lamp. 

Costco has some cheap film transfer services. I haven’t tried them yet, but I want to.