Boo Blasters on Boo Hill TLC

MaestroMan

I rode it this past Saturday and all the effects and targets were in working order (at least the ones I hit). The volume was turned up a bit high on Boocifer, but otherwise it seemed to be in decent enough shape.

I rode PT the other day and was approaching hyper blaster status (an unofficial stage above master blaster ) when in the skeletom room, there was a brief blip where all targets and lighting went out.... and my score reset to zero.... :(

I ended the game-ride with less than 200 points and an even lower self esteem.... is it okay to just add the points back in unofficially or is that cheating? Lol

• Like 2

Add the points my friend.  I count when I got stuck in Buzz Light year at Magic Kingdom and racked up over 750K and the wife got over 650K.  I am comfortable with that score even though we were paused because they had to load a wheel chair onto the ride.  I count it and so should you...

Side note, man if our ride was similar to Buzzy Lightyear in its depth of field and entertainment, I would be okay with it!  I just think Boo Blasters feels too much like a cheap retrofit over Phantom Theater and to be honest when half the stuff doesnt work....

• Like 7

I just think Boo Blasters feels too much like a cheap retrofit over Phantom Theater and to be honest when half the stuff doesnt work....

No, no... Boo Blasters is a cheap retrofit of Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle... which was already cheap, disappointing replacement of Phantom Theater.

• Like 5

Definitely more family friendly... more marketable as a new attraction too. And I don't doubt it was easier to maintain, it's just too bad that they didn't. The broken guns are not new to Boo Blasters, I remember the issue on Scooby Doo as well.

• Like 2

When exactly did the guns stop making noise? Did that change when they changed it to Boo Blasters?

Seems to me they made a different, louder noise when it became Boo Blasters. More of an echoing, metallic "zap." Frankly, I'm glad they got rid of the sound effect since it distracted quite a bit from the happenings of the ride.

Here's a video of Kings Dominion's Boo Blasters, but the sound effect is the same as ours was:

Scooby Doo was more of a "pew pew pew pew" hahha

However, the sound effect was also the only indication that the laser gun you're holding was doing anything at all since there was no targeting laser and half of the targets didn't work or activate. So... Yeah. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

• Like 4

I rode it this past Saturday and all the effects and targets were in working order (at least the ones I hit). The volume was turned up a bit high on Boocifer, but otherwise it seemed to be in decent enough shape.

Was the fog screen on? I have not seen it since opening year...It is/was an impressive effect considering the rest of the ride. 

• Like 1

It was flawed from the get-go. The ride is very clearly the cheapest, quickest, most insincere "generic" version of Scooby Doo they could make, which was probably already the wrong step in a park where people were personally offended by "Flight Deck," "The Crypt," "Backlot Stunt Coaster," etc.

But the one singular improvement / stand-out was the fog screen effect. And because of that effect, many of us thought, "Yeah, it's actually not bad! They did an alright job with it!"

And I mean, I find it truly laughable that it literally lasted one or two weeks. Literally. Sounds like something we'd make up to be dramatic, but it was truly that short-lived. Like, after a week or two it broke or needed refilled with fog fluid or something, and we joked that it would probably never come back, and then it literally never came back. It's just funny.

• Like 6

I fundamentally disagree.

First, ours is (to my knowledge) the only one of the Boo Blasters where you can't see a targeting laser to show you where you're aiming. Once you've ridden a blasting dark ride with the laser, it seems absolutely absurd that you can't see where you're shooting on Kings Island's dark ride.

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, the Omnimover ride system is detrimental. Every other Scooby-Doo ride at the Paramount Parks was built from scratch and uses the more traditional (and preferred) powered carts that stop in the loading station, then are dispatched one at a time into the ride. Your cart approaches a doorway, pushes through it (in classic dark ride style) and then is alone in a room as you blast away. Once you leave that room, props, targets, and scenery can reset as the next car enters. That allows scenes to make more sense and come alive just for you, compared to the Omnimover where a new group passes by the same scene every 4 seconds or so.

For just one example, skip to about 2:00 in this video.

Your cart enters the finale scene where Boocifer is standing under a stone arch covered in thorns. He says you'll never leave Bleakstone Manor, then you blast the target under him. When you do, he screams, sinks into the well, and disappears. Then, all of the room's blacklights turn off and are replaced by white light, which change the scene - the brambles turn into roses, the dark forest at night behind him becomes a bright, sunny field, etc. Then, as your car exits the room, Boocifer resets and the lights turn back to blacklight. It's a small, short scene but it shows you the benefit of the individual carts instead of the continuous omnimovers.

Compare that to Kings Island's, where he just sort of screams continuously, because the cars pass by constantly. Which is necessary and can't be helped.

Every other Scooby-Doo ride at the Paramount Parks was built from scratch. Ours reuses the Phantom Theater omnimover, doubtlessly to save money. Think of how different Boo Blasters would be if each effect seemed to happen ONLY to you... the cabinets that fall forward would be startling instead of annoying; the fog screen would be dark until you approached it, instead of hearing and seeing every car in front of you pass through, etc.

• Like 7

Given your reasoning, your right. I must of missed seeing the Kings Dominion version of this ride, the effects are definitely much better. I do admit, I still like seeing remnants of the Phantom Theater at Kings Island, that's something you don't see at any other amusement park. But are the targets easier to shoot at KD than at KI?

• Like 1

KD's is a much better ride experience, but it is also a lot slower at loading so the line takes much longer to get through than we are used to at KI. That's the trade off. I am ready for them to just put the ride out of its misery and start from scratch with something new. 

• Like 4

Triotech. Cedar Fair. Iron Reef.

Is it Spider-Man caliber? No.

DarKastle caliber? No.

But it's within reach.

Leave out the laser guns and I'll buy Platinum Passes for myself and all of my friends!

• Like 7

After perusing Triotech's website, it appears that whatever they create contains a gun or laser.

"Pushing the limits of interactive media-based attractions"

However, the one unique product that they offer that I thought was extremely exciting, was Illusio

http://www.trio-tech.com/

Look under products.

The whole idea of projection mapping is intriguing. By making inanimate objects appear alive is a whole other dimension in dark attractions!!!

• Like 1

Rode Boo Blasters again yesterday and it was actually working pretty well. I had 1200 points by the time I got to the organ scene and ended up with a score of 1698 if I remember correctly. In addition, the tourist guy was actually working again - first time in a couple years I've seen him moving. There were still some non-working targets though.

• Like 1

^^ I actually have ridden a Triotech dark ride that used the iLLUSIO effects, and, while neat, I feel like it's underutilized in a shooter dark ride. If you're really into shooter dark rides, you'll probably think it's awesome that your target is an actual three-dimensional real-life object instead of a target or digital creature/object on a video screen. I'm not that into that variation of dark ride, so, while I can appreciate the imagination that went into it, it didn't do a whole lot for me. It kinda felt like someone just sat something in the way of the screen.

There was a prop in the window by the front gate at Kings Island a few Haunts back that projected a statue face onto a rounded, nondescript bust, and every so many minutes, the face on the bust would suddenly become animated and scream or cackle or something similar. And it actually looked like the bust was moving. That, to me, seems like a more effective use of that sort of idea--you could have an entire room of a dark ride that seems innocuous and quiet, but on a cue, every object in that room can become lively and animated or frightening and make you want to get away. Seriously, imagine a variation of that part of Ghostwood Estates at Kennywood where you run into the "dead end" where everything is quiet, a little confusing... and then imagine the portraits glaring and shrieking, the helmets of the suits of armor opening to reveal yellowed, snarling teeth, and nearby pottery shattering simultaneously. The projection quality is high enough that you wouldn't necessarily see it coming. (Granted, that's not the most family-friendly idea, but you get where I'm going with this.)

Personally, I'd rather that sort of projection be used that way. But I'm also not going to complain, period, if KI were to get something in the vein of a dark ride. A new dark ride of any sort* is much better than no dark ride at all.

*Garfield's Nightmare excepted.

• Like 7

Everyone who complains about Boo Blasters needs to keep ONE thing in mind. Just one thing.

At least we don't have Garfield's Nightmare.

I weep for the people of West Mifflin and the tragic loss that they suffered in 2004.

EDIT: I did not see TombRaiderFTW's footnote prior to posting this, but wow, great minds DO think alike!

• Like 9

After seeing Toy Story Mania (which is nothing but 3d Screens) and the Buzz Lightyear ride (more "traditional) shooting rides, it makes me really not excited to step foot inside Boo Blasters ever again...

For the longest time, I never even realized that Boo Blasters had a story, and if you compare our ride vehicles to those of the Haunted Mansion, they look and feel very similar...

Up until a few weeks ago, I wanted Boo Blasters to be refitted to be more than it could be.  Now I want it built from scratch.  A ride like Boo Blasters should allow for many re-rides, it could be a competition in families, not just something to ride when it gets hot...

Imagine a Charlie Brown ride that goes through the seasons using 3d Screens (like Toy Story)... Maybe a scene around baseball and football, maybe one around the pumpkin and one around Christmas tree shopping?  Not sure what else, but man just a ride that is fun and can be ridden once or 20 times and is enjoyable...

• Like 5

Here is Six Flags' take on a 4-D dark ride using the Justice League brand as the theme:

And a video going a bit more into detail with different views of the vehicle and some ride scenery:

So to be clear, this is using ride vehicle technology seen in Universal's Spider-Man and Transformers rides.

And it has interactivity with laser guns like Boo Boo's Blasters and the two Triotech attractions at Canada's Wonderland and Knott's Berry Farm.

AND it is quite expertly themed. 

AND...it is at a Six Flags park. TWO of them, to be precise (St. Louis and Over Texas).

• Like 7

^^ I actually have ridden a Triotech dark ride that used the iLLUSIO effects, and, while neat, I feel like it's underutilized in a shooter dark ride. If you're really into shooter dark rides, you'll probably think it's awesome that your target is an actual three-dimensional real-life object instead of a target or digital creature/object on a video screen. I'm not that into that variation of dark ride, so, while I can appreciate the imagination that went into it, it didn't do a whole lot for me. It kinda felt like someone just sat something in the way of the screen.

There was a prop in the window by the front gate at Kings Island a few Haunts back that projected a statue face onto a rounded, nondescript bust, and every so many minutes, the face on the bust would suddenly become animated and scream or cackle or something similar. And it actually looked like the bust was moving. That, to me, seems like a more effective use of that sort of idea--you could have an entire room of a dark ride that seems innocuous and quiet, but on a cue, every object in that room can become lively and animated or frightening and make you want to get away. Seriously, imagine a variation of that part of Ghostwood Estates at Kennywood where you run into the "dead end" where everything is quiet, a little confusing... and then imagine the portraits glaring and shrieking, the helmets of the suits of armor opening to reveal yellowed, snarling teeth, and nearby pottery shattering simultaneously. The projection quality is high enough that you wouldn't necessarily see it coming. (Granted, that's not the most family-friendly idea, but you get where I'm going with this.)

Personally, I'd rather that sort of projection be used that way. But I'm also not going to complain, period, if KI were to get something in the vein of a dark ride. A new dark ride of any sort* is much better than no dark ride at all.

*Garfield's Nightmare excepted.

That technology has been in place for quite some time.  The esteemed Mansions at Disney do a very good job of achieving that desired effect.  Pay attention to the busts in the library as the ride commences.

• Like 6