Boo Blasters on Boo Hill TLC

MaestroMan

I posted an update in the Kings Island 2015 discussion thread but on Sunday I rode Boo Blasters specifically to see if anything was working. To my astonishment it seems that they have gone in and fixed most of the issues. Everything seemed to be working, even the tourist being chased by the skeletons. Every target I hit worked and I got one of the highest scores for that ride I can remember in recent history. So, at least it seems some TLC was put back into the ride now.

According to this report the tourist being chased by skeletons was working on Sunday July 5th.  I rode the ride yesterday (July 13th) and it was not.  Broken again I suppose.  Also, all 3 of the guns didn't work at all in the car we rode in.

I'd like to see this ride get updated/replaced with a new dark ride, but I'm not sure how I feel about the recent Triotech rides that have been installed at Canada's Wonderland and Knott's Berry Farm.

• Like 1

Both of Triotech's dark rides are also very, very different.

Guardian is a roller coaster / dark ride hybrid with a very long interactive screen in an otherwise blank warehouse.

Iron Reef uses Spider-Man style SCOOP vehicles (without the motion simulating base... rotating only) mixing screens with some physical sets.

Neither, to me, is particularly engaging or wonderful.

GYK, who prefers story and heart.

One day when Iron Reef or Guardian is removed, neither will likely earn the admiration and beloved respect that rides like Phantom Theater do. Put simply, that's because one is far better than the other. Voila.

Yeah I can't judge because I haven't had the chance to ride either one, but from what I've read, it feels like each one was a bit of an experiment.  I wonder if the fact that Kings Island has an existing dark ride makes any difference in whether it will eventually be a candidate for one of those rides.  

I posted an update in the Kings Island 2015 discussion thread but on Sunday I rode Boo Blasters specifically to see if anything was working. To my astonishment it seems that they have gone in and fixed most of the issues. Everything seemed to be working, even the tourist being chased by the skeletons. Every target I hit worked and I got one of the highest scores for that ride I can remember in recent history. So, at least it seems some TLC was put back into the ride now.

According to this report the tourist being chased by skeletons was working on Sunday July 5th.  I rode the ride yesterday (July 13th) and it was not.  Broken again I suppose.  Also, all 3 of the guns didn't work at all in the car we rode in.

I'd like to see this ride get updated/replaced with a new dark ride, but I'm not sure how I feel about the recent Triotech rides that have been installed at Canada's Wonderland and Knott's Berry Farm.

I also rode it again last Friday and nothing was working. I must of just got lucky on that day.

• Like 1

Boo Blasters not working seems to be a recurring thing. It worked alright when I rode it, I rode it 5 times in a row, the skelton chasing scene was not working and neither were most of the props. But one scene that always has worked is the final spooky skelton scene. I dont remember that ever not working like its supposed to.

• Like 1

When the scene amounts to occasional strobe flashes, it tends to stay operational without much work. :P

Yeah I can't judge because I haven't had the chance to ride either one, but from what I've read, it feels like each one was a bit of an experiment.  I wonder if the fact that Kings Island has an existing dark ride makes any difference in whether it will eventually be a candidate for one of those rides.  

I'm sure they're both experiments in their respective categories, and to be fair, the pattern so far is that each Triotech installation is better than the one before. Also, Wonderland (and all of the former Paramount Parks except Great America) had a Scooby-Doo dark ride that's now a Boo Blasters, so if it didn't stop Wonderland, it shouldn't stop Kings Island. Most also still have Action Theaters, which is hardly a dark ride but is one more indoor, air-conditioned, themed experience than most legacy Cedar Fair parks offer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Boo Blasters at KD is a fantastic dark ride for many reasons. There are 19 cars on KD version, each car holding 4 people. The ride theoretically holds 76 people at one time. Plus, I'll let you in on a little secret. Hit the security (or blocking ) sensors throughout the ride for extra points. By hitting the sensor in the station, one can get over 500 points before the car leaves the station.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bringing this up to wonder if some improvements have indeed been made. My previous high score was in the 2,100s, but last night I managed to score 2,940. I even was able to easily hit a couple of the targets on the far side of the library scene, which I've never been able to do before. I looked at the lights on the guns when I got in, and found one with a strong beam (left side of car 10, IIRC), so that might have been part of why I scored so high. (The other gun I checked, in the middle of the car, had a much dimmer light when I hit the trigger, so obviously things aren't perfect.) Also, it seemed like targets were resetting more quickly, as I was able to easily hit many target twice or even three times before they were out of range (another reason for the high score).

Oh, and for those who are wondering: no scareactors inside Boo Blasters last night.

• Like 2

Reading through this thread reminded me that the chase scene was not working on Friday night. Also, the head of the ghost with the iPod was doing 360s. 

And super-random question: why did they remove the scareactor(s) from Boo Blasters, and in what year did they exist?

• Like 2

And customer complaints, too. If employees are wandering around loose, not only can THEY get hurt, their presence sets a bad example for riders--on a ride where keeping guests in the carriages is already a concern.

Paramount Parks did the same thing Phantom Theater's last Fear Fest. And it was just as dumb then. At least when Cedar Fair did it, the employees didn't beat on the Omnimovers.

• Like 1