Week XIII: Your Music Genre

BB1

For the past couple of weeks I have been asking mainly park related questions, so this week and the upcoming weeks I think I will give them a brake (yes I meant that kind of brake) run and put up some other genres of polls. Going with the genre, this week will be about your music genre. What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of music do you feel most suits your personality? Any favorite bands?

• Like 5

I have phases of music I go through. I'll be stuck on one group or genre for a while and switch to another. Its a very random thing. My preferred genres are jazz of any type, classical of about any era (using classical to describe orchestral music is a very broad term), movie scores, classic rock, some alternative rock (I don't like it too hard, the likes of Alice in Chains and Metallica is as hard as I go), some R&B, a bit of Motown, good covers of songs, and some concert band literature. I also love to transpose music so I can play it on my saxophone.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a specific group, composer, or artist as my favorite, but my favorite piece of music of all time is Spencer Davis Group's Gimme Some Lovin' (the original version, though, I also like the Blues Brothers' cover).

• Like 3

I listen to pretty much everything. For instance, last night I was watching this old movie I got from when I was little and there was some great Mannheim Steamroller instrumental pieces that I looked up on iTunes immediately after seeing the movie (for those interested, the movie was called "Secrets at the Zoo", a 1991 tour of the Cincinnati Zoo with 2 newscasters and Thane Maynard). On the way to work this morning, I was rockin' to some '90s pop and rock tunes from a Now CD. During my shifts, I listened to some For King and Country, AA Arrowhead (a band one of my friends was in at one time), Linkin Park (Meteora), Counting Crows, more 90's pop/rock and even some remixed TobyMac songs! So, as you can see, my music tastes vary and I'll pretty much listen to anything except most country. My favorite band is Thousand Foot Krutch and I was so excited when they came to SpiritSong this past summer as I was working the concert that day. I've met them once and have seen them in concert 4 times (twice at Kings Island and twice at The Underground).

• Like 3

I've always been against the grain with music.....

When I was younger it was straight forward brutal metal.

I dunno, guess I've broadened my horizons a bit, Gonna see Bob Segar and J. Giles Band Thursday.

I listened to alot of them kinda bands(Eagles, Marshall Tucker, Linda Ronstadt, John Mellencamp, ect.)

when I was younger, and usually that's what my car radio is set to. Still listen to metal if I get my CD player to work.

I can not stand rap music. Not much of a country fan, either. Although when the family is with me,

that's all i seem to listen to.

• Like 7

I would say my music genre is probably Alternative Rock, but there has been a time in my past that I have been a big fan of Gangster Rap, Country, Classical, and Death Metal, so you could say my tastes in music have been quite different through the years. But I think Alternative Rock has probably been my favorite for the longest of those genres.

• Like 3

My music is definitly not todays music, I am mainly 60s Oldies, Beach Boys are my favorite for that decade. Though it might be way before my time, I enjoy them way better than the music I listen to on the radio. I am also a fan of KISS, which is my favorite band from the 70s, also Grand Funk Railroad. I was born in the 90s, and I have to agree that music back then was better than music now, well at least in my opinion.

• Like 6

That's okay. I'm a huge fan of Twenties music. 1920's. Jazz, bebop, American Standards, much stuff long before I was born.

And quite a bit of stuff today, from Tracy Chapman to Bruno Mars.

Bluegrass. Forties and Fifties Country and Western Music. Gospel. So-called "Southern Gospel" (there's a huge difference).

Sing Along With Mitch! Follow The Bouncing Ball. And on and and on.

Oh, yeah. I'm a FredHead. Not to be confused with a Cheese Head. And John Prine, Tom T Hall....

• Like 3

I'm pretty varied in my musical tastes. I gravitate towards happy music and/or songs that have something interesting going on on the bass line.

Among my more uncommon tastes are bluegrass (I would love to learn to play banjo) and Sousa.

I enjoy music from before I was born and my childhood more than stuff that came out from my pre-teens through the past few years. There was about a decade where almost no new music appealed to me (beginning of the 2000s) but the past few years there have been several new songs I like.

• Like 3

My genre of choice has always been, and will probably always be classic rock. My earliest musical memory was the Elvis animatronic at Jungle Jim's. That antiquated old robot introduced me to Elvis's music, and my taste basically started there and moved outward. I collect vinyl and while my love is more for the format than the content, I'm naturally going to be inclined toward the music that is most readily and affordably available on that format, and that also pushes me toward classic rock. Growing up, my family listened almost exclusively to Country radio stations, so while I don't listen to much new country, country from the 90's and 00's fills a big chunk of my iPod (which I also still use religiously because while I have an unlimited data plan on my smartphone, all of the popular streaming services use really nasty compression that makes music sound like garbage. But I digress).

It's easier to count the genres that I don't like than the ones I do. Generally. I'm not a fan of rap/hip-hop/whatever they're calling it this week. There are some songs in that genre that I enjoy, but they're few and far between. I'm definitely not a fan of electronic music (techno, dubstep, and other such things). I'm not going to say that there's NOTHING in that genre that I'd enjoy, but if it's out there, I've yet to find it. And I don't typically like any modern pop. So basically, I shy away from Top 40 stations. Most things that are a little more obscure, I like. I really don't even think it's necessarily that I think modern, popular music is bad. It's just that, being popular, Top 40 singles get a lot of airplay and I get sick of hearing them almost immediately.

I've been on a big alternative kick lately, so a lot of Paramore, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Fireflight, Skillet, etc. Prior to that, I was on a big Muse kick, thanks in part to Ed Alonzo. I also really like orchestrated music, especially film, TV, and video game scores. Just as long as it's not Pachelbel's Canon. I played Tuba in High School band, and as such, I'd be more than content to never hear that wretched tune again as long as I live.

• Like 4

I've been pretty consistent with my music preferences: alternative, late 90's-early 00's college rock, classic rock, some indie pop/rock. I don't mind most pop and rock music - it just depends on the singer and band. I'm trying to stretch myself in my musical preferences - hence Tubular Bells and folk music lately.

Not a fan of country, rap, hip hop, and what I call "angry" music that involves screaming and yelling.

At work, I typically have one Pandora playing 95% of the time. The main bands are Guster, The Weepies, Jack Johnson, Vampire Weekend, and The Killers. But I also have stations that pull music from Goo Goo Dolls (hello 90's teenager angst!), Sarah Barielles, Jason Mraz, and A Cappela performances.

I will admit that I'm one of those people that can't remember many band names/songs beyond my favorite band. I can recognize the song, that I've heard it before and that I like it...doubtful if I remember their name. :)

• Like 2

Pop-Punk / Metalcore / Post-Hardcore

Those are the three main specific sub-genres that take up virtually all the music I like to listen to. They differ slightly but are all inherently related for how heavy and melodic they are, to varying degrees (bands such as A Day To Remember and Four Year Strong cleverly incorporate characteristics from all three of those sub-genres).

Not only do I love how heavy and melodic these kinds of music are, but another thing I generally love about it is how creative and compelling the lyrics can be (and in some cases, shocking!). Senses Fail is one of the best I've listened in making such lyrics...

A Complete list of bands in my iTunes library would be: All Time Low (early), Avenged Sevenfold, Blink-182, Brand New, Bullet For My Valentine, A Day To Remember, Fall Out Boy(early), Four Year Strong, From First to Last, Man Overboard, Metallica, New Found Glory, Rise Against, Rush, Saves The Day, Senses Fail, The Starting Line, State Champs, The Story So Far, Sum 41, Taking Back Sunday, The Wonder Years, Yellowcard.

I'd have to say that Led Zeppelin, although I don't really listen to them that much, is a band that I respect immensely. When people say "the music you listen to today probably happened because of the Beatles", in my case I disagree. Personally, if there was a band back in the day that I would give major credit to in terms of influencing the music I listen to, I think my kind of music would correlate a lot more to Led Zeppelin's music than the Beatles...But that's just me...

Not a fan of country, rap, hip hop, and what I call "angry" music that involves screaming and yelling.

Yeah I'm not a fan of country, rap, or hip hop either. However the "angry" music you're describing ironically would make up a considerable portion of my music library. :P

What's funny is that sometimes music I listen that I don't even consider to be "angry" would sound "angry" to the common ear, but not to mine...

• Like 5

I have really been avoiding this topic. My musical taste varies wildly, though 80's metal is always my "go to".

I will quite willingly listen to almost anything, though I do have a short tolerance for country, and a much shorter tolerance for rap.

I graduated high school with majors in science, math, and music (or enough credits for any of those to count as a "major").

On a given day, I may listen to Bach, Bon Jovi, Bullet for My Valentine, Bocephus, or Bachman Turner Overdrive. It really all just depends on my mood. This post brought to you by the letter B.

Favorite bands would be way too long to list. But I'll go ahead and **** Terpy off with a triple shot of videos.

In the end though, AC/DC to ZZtop , and most anything in between.

Before edit thought, Aerosmith, what a band.

• Like 3