Theme park in Alabama

So I came across this news story about a very large park apparently being in the works in Alabama. http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/01/can_a_3_billion_project_be_pla.html

I am curious as to what you all thought about this? Seems pretty mysterious that it seemingly is coming out of nowhere and the city didn't even know about it. I also have never heard of DreamVision and didn't know if someone on here had any insight?

I wouldn't know the upshot, but it sounds like someone laying the groundwork to scam a local government*. An anonymous email press release is certainly not the typical way a multi-billion (with a "B") dollar project would be announced.

If it turns out to be something real, it's interesting.

*or governments, as it sounds from the article like Fort Worth may be swallowing similar bait.

Edit: perhaps they got the idea from this: http://online.thatsmags.com/post/daqing-government-allegedly-scammed-for-almost-1-billion-in-jurassic-park-scam

More about theme park scam in China:http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20131125000102&cid=1103

Or this: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2014/jun/03/water-park-developer-denies-venture-scam/

• Like 1

Uh huh :) And all we need from you, Muscle Shoals, is a little incentive to build near you rather than in Fort Worth. Don't you want those jobs, don't you want those taxes, don't you want that tourism dough?

It honestly sounds to me a little like the "you've won the Irish Sweepstakes (that you didn't enter)" scams that predate the Internet. We just haven't yet heard what the equivalent of "wire us a fraction of your winnings to cover the taxes" the anonymous emailer has in mind.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Given yesterday's presentation about the sister park in Texas, I'd say there is no way either of these projects gets built. The promo video used looked like it was made in the 1970s. This coming from a company that reportedly spent a good portion of the presentation touting their upcoming films.

• Like 3

Worth watching and also this is in the comments

What makes El Paso financially promising are the following:

Theme parks are the number one destination for family vacations in the United States (according to Amusement Business);

The warm climate would make this a 365-day a year operation;

The tourist and convention industry in El Paso and the Southwestern United States is virtually untapped;

There is almost no competition from a theme/amusement park/resort within a 500 mile radius;

The entertainment industry had yet another great year in 2003, with over $740 billion dollars in gross receipts;

There is a nine million population within the targeted region.

Statistics show this is one of the last areas of the United States capable of supporting a regional entertainment complex.

The twin cities of El Paso and Juarez Mexico combined make this the 10th largest city in North America.

We search and find solid investors / funding sources for our international, signed clients. ~ Kindly get in touch with me, Roy Propsner, on Linkedin

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This reminds me of the kinds of "pump-and-dump" schemes run by the "Sopranos" crime family, but with an almost hilariously huge bait fish of $3.5 Billion!. Introduce and over-hype a plausible prospect, get investors on board, play your hand as long as you can until the Street gets a whiff of the fishiness, then sell-off and clean up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...