Week XIV: SuperBowl XLIX Ads

BB1

This year the Seattle SeaHawks and The New England Patriots battled it out for the SuperBowl title. But many also watch for the advertisements, as they too are prime entertainment for the whole game. This year though had an interesting twist, having some great ones, and others, not so much. So, this week's poll is to discuss the Ads for this year, were they great? Which ones? Were they terrible? Which ones?

• Like 1

Not sure there were any 'great' ones in terms of entertainment. Surely some thought provoking ones with the Nationwide ones about child safety, the anti-sexism (can't think of a different way to describe them - ones about 'show me what it looks like to throw like a girl) and domestic violence awareness.

I wonder if it's just me getting older (and hence nostalgic), but it seems every year I'm less impressed with the commercials compared to X years ago.

• Like 3

The commercials only got worse when they stopped doing the Bud Bowl.

I thought that Budweiser's commercial (the one where they were ripping craft beers, not the dumb puppy one) was pretty funny since they have purchased companies that sell those same beers that they were mocking in that commercial. Classy move.

• Like 2

I felt as if there was a large attempt to not do anything edgy or extreme in the advertisements throughout the game. With the NFL's public image issue throughout the year, it is easy to see why. More emphasis on nice things, positive emotion, simple descriptive advertising. Less on anything that could be construed inappropriately in any way.

The only ads that really used any kind of sexual appeal or innuendos were the Kate Upton "Game of War" one (which she has been doing for months now) and naturally, the Victoria's Secret one. Think that was a mistake? Not at all.

• Like 4

I unfortunately had to catch the ads on YouTube at halftime or after the game as most of them weren't shown in the online stream. I liked the puppy one, the Doritos "flying pig" one and the Fiat one. Didn't care much for the Nissan ad (I've heard "Cat's In The Cradle" way too many times and it's a rather depressing song).

• Like 1