Could KI (and other Cedar Fair properties) finally be getting WiFi?

BoddaH1994

They already have charging lockers. They probably will add more.

And for those that aren't aware, late last season they quietly placed a completely free phone charging stand along the back wall of the Festhaus, on the LaRosa's side. It had a few lockers just large enough for a phone, with charging connectors inside. Rather than having to keep track of a PIN code or a normal key, you used your credit card as your key, though nothing was charged to the card. I used it on both of the last two days of operation for a midday recharge, and they worked great.

• Like 6

^ With ubiquitous mobile data plans, I would be very surprised if there were access charges.

Would it be free? Of course not. Forms of "payment" might include:

• Tracking your movement within the park
  • Tracking your repeat visits (if not already a season passholder)
  • Upon connection, directing you to sponsors' websites, KI's mobile app, KI's website, etc
  • Cash, if you want your packets in an Internet Fast Lane*

*As Terp might say, no trademarks were harmed with this post. EDIT: And no virtual queue systems were involved, regardless of the forum's capitalization filter.

• Like 1

^ With ubiquitous mobile data plans, I would be very surprised if there were access charges.

Would it be free? Of course not. Forms of "payment" might include:

• Tracking your movement within the park
  • Tracking your repeat visits (if not already a season passholder)
  • Upon connection, directing you to sponsors' websites, KI's mobile app, KI's website, etc
  • Cash, if you want your packets in an Internet Fast Lane*
*As Terp might say, no trademarks were harmed with this post. EDIT: And no virtual queue systems were involved, regardless of the forum's capitalization filter.

I think he was referring to the side discussion that I started about the phone charging lockers in the Festhaus, not a potential Wi-Fi network. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wifi at the new Starbucks is going to be great, im definitly bringing my laptop to Kings Island. I will be able to do all of my work from home at Kings Island and eat my 2 meals a day from season dining plan and during my breaks hit up a couple rides. Wonderful!

• Like 5

Wifi at the new Starbucks is going to be great, im definitly bringing my laptop to Kings Island. I will be able to do all of my work from home at Kings Island and eat my 2 meals a day from season dining plan and during my breaks hit up a couple rides. Wonderful!

you sir, will be living the dream

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I will be working less than 5 minutes from KI next season, and I have considered the idea of stopping by for a quick lap on a coaster during my lunch break, but my luck, the ride would stop on the lift hill or brake run for an extended amount of time if I try that.

• Like 4

Wi-Fi SSIDs like that are pretty common among people who think they're clever and original. "FBI Surveillance Van" is another popular one... One has to wonder if there are laws against such a thing. I'm all for a witty SSID (if you MUST broadcast it... I prefer to keep mine hidden), but those have always annoyed me, if for no other reason than that it really isn't particularly clever or witty. Even the most technologically impaired people on the planet know better than to honestly believe that any FBI-related entity would just broadcast what it is that openly.

• Like 3

^^ If your access point doesn't broadcast the SSID, your devices must send it out wherever they are in order to search for the network.

As for irresponsible SSID choices, "FBI" is far, far down on the list of what I've come across. :)

• Like 3

If someone could install the Speedtest.net app and test the speed of the Wi-Fi network next weekend, I'd be very interested to see the results.

I tried to do just that at Reds Hall of Fame Grille and was unable to get a stable enough connection to even locate a server.

The servers in the restaurant, however, were very responsive as always.

• Like 5

Wi-Fi SSIDs like that are pretty common among people who think they're clever and original. "FBI Surveillance Van" is another popular one... One has to wonder if there are laws against such a thing. I'm all for a witty SSID (if you MUST broadcast it... I prefer to keep mine hidden), but those have always annoyed me, if for no other reason than that it really isn't particularly clever or witty. Even the most technologically impaired people on the planet know better than to honestly believe that any FBI-related entity would just broadcast what it is that openly.

To my knowledge/understanding there are no laws against it, that may change between jurisdictions, though. I recall reading a story about a man who's son wanted the police car from the first Transformers movie...so they took their mustang and mocked it up to be a replica. The local cops tried arresting him for impersonating an officer, but the courts said driving a police car was not impersonating an officer, he would need to try to pull someone over, or arrest them etc (in other words, only people can impersonate police, not objects). I would think it would be a similar thing for an SSID.

I disagree with you on your last statement. My mother would call me in an instant if she saw that pop up and she's extremely tech savvy for her generation. Also, you have more faith in government agencies than I do. They often miss/forget the obvious.

While I agree it's not clever or witty to broadcast such an SSID, it is comical to sit in a coffee shop etc and look at logs showing connection attempts.