Could KI (and other Cedar Fair properties) finally be getting WiFi?

BoddaH1994

I ran a test this past Saturday and was 5 up and 5 down powered by fuse which could be Cincinnati

That's pretty good. Public Wi-Fi is usually about 1 Mbps down and about 0.5 Mbps up.

Cedar Point is still the leader in public Wi-Fi speeds. When I stayed at Hotel Breakers for CoasterMania! in 2013, they officially didn't have Wi-Fi in the rooms, but I was able to pick up a strong signal on a public hotel network, presumably in one of the lobbies or meeting rooms. That connection was 37 Mbps down and 33 Mbps up. Fastest internet connection I have ever used in my life. :P

• Like 3

I ran a test this past Saturday and was 5 up and 5 down powered by fuse which could be Cincinnati

From The Chicken Shack patio on Sunday, I pulled 2.87 down and 3 up.

For free public WiFi, its perfectly fine!

• Like 5

That's pretty good. Public Wi-Fi is usually about 1 Mbps down and about 0.5 Mbps up.

Cedar Point is still the leader in public Wi-Fi speeds. When I stayed at Hotel Breakers for CoasterMania! in 2013, they officially didn't have Wi-Fi in the rooms, but I was able to pick up a strong signal on a public hotel network, presumably in one of the lobbies or meeting rooms. That connection was 37 Mbps down and 33 Mbps up. Fastest internet connection I have ever used in my life. :P

You obviously haven't been in a school (at least in a large district) over the summer.  I was once able to pull down something over 80 Mbps, I do believe, hard-wired.  That was impressive, especially since it's barely usable when school is in session.  Yeah, yeah, I know..  The bandwidth usually is divided up a lot, just got lucky playing around when it wasn't.

• Like 2

Indeed, presuming that the system is not in any way scaled up as its usage base grows and is not being throttled.  For all we know, it could be set to max out at about 5 Mbps so people don't try streaming Netflix in line.  Though, even that might be enough..

If one thing is a common theme I've noticed with "free" Wi-Fi, it's ridiculously slow speeds.  Even a Panera that's dead can have ping times in the tens of seconds.  :o  Here's hoping that Cedar Fair's networks are actually usable.  I won't get my hopes up, though, since even some cell networks around the parks get severely bogged down during peak season.

• Like 3

Panera, the worst?  I've seen some libraries that would like to compete for that title.  And those are modern facilities at most a decade old, in nicer parts of town.

That only goes so far when you're playing by the carrier's rules.  I've got truly unlimited data from T-Mobile..  except when it comes to tethering.  There, it's only 3GB, which goes insanely quick if you're not careful.

• Like 1

The Xenia library's Wi-Fi is among the fastest public connections I've seen.

I have Verizon, which places no special restrictions on tethering on a More Everything plan. I just have to stay under my regular monthly cap for all data usage, currently 2 GB. That's easy for me since I limit myself to low-data usage when tethering (e.g. I avoid photo-heavy pages, don't watch videos, restrict automatic downloads of Windows and other updates, etc.), plus the majority of my time is usually spent in Open Office writing a story, only occasionally researching things online. A typical three-hour session for me costs me about 50 to 100 MB of data.

• Like 3