Racer Future

DontWantToWait42mar0

I wonder how many people that visit Kings Island in 2015 even know why Coney Mall is there in the first place. There's X-base, Dinosaur's Alive, and WindSeeker - all that have nothing to do with the "Coney Mall" concept (of course the same could be said about the rest of the areas of the park) all kind of swallowing the area from the outside in. Before long, The Racer will be the one that doesn't match its surroundings. How sad!

I have wondered what a re-imagined Racer could be like. Moving the queue possibly towards the area of Timberwolf, and having two "dueling" steel gigacoasters with an exaggerated version of Racer's layout.

• Like 2

To answer KIfan73's response of a reimagined version of The Racer, someone made one on YouTube on NoLimits (I do not own this video, it belongs to someone else):

this looks like it provides more airtime than Diamondback.
  • Like 4

The only thing The Racer is missing is the backwards train. I know it's not original, but it ran for how many years?

This used to be my favorite coaster, largely because of its legacy. While iconic, the ride hasn't aged well in terms of thrill/fun for me. I don't want to see it go away (hey, I love legacy and tradition as much as the next person), but I imagine I'll ride it once per visit at most, just because I always have, not because I really want to.

• Like 2

The Racer is iconic, as others have mentioned. I really don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Though I will say a coat of paint would make me feel better about its future.

The worst thing I could see happening would be RMC treatment. Call me nostalgic, but, it's not the same coaster redone. I know some of the younger, and a few older, people here would argue that it would be a better ride. I disagree, the SIX treatment of old woodies is a travesty. History is an important part of our enthusiast community. Would the Coney Island Cyclone be the same with steel track? How about Jack Rabbit?

• Like 7

To answer KIfan73's response of a reimagined version of The Racer, someone made one on YouTube on NoLimits (I do not own this video, it belongs to someone else):

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like not much change for the $$$ it would cost... I think it'd need a little more to it than that to justify the cost. Truthfully, I could see The Beast getting Rocky Mountain'ed before Racer, and personally I would be more curious to see it on The Beast. Blasphemy, I know, but I think it would be far more interesting and unique IMO. But I'm not sure either has a high probability of happening.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like not much change for the $$$ it would cost... I think it'd need a little more to it than that to justify the cost. Truthfully, I could see The Beast getting Rocky Mountain'ed before Racer, and personally I would be more curious to see it on The Beast. Blasphemy, I know, but I think it would be far more interesting and unique IMO. But I'm not sure either has a high probability of happening.

My guess for why someone made an RMC conversion of The Racer instead of The Beast is probably because of the hype from Twisted Colossus, the conversion of Colossus at Magic Mountain. Another possibility is that many younger people might not realize how legendary The Racer actually is compared to The Beast. If it weren't for The Racer, the coaster that brought back the coaster, there would be no Beast, which is a wooden coaster built within the terrain instead of having airtime hills. However, like you said, it would be interesting to see someone convert The Beast on NoLimits. In reality, both should be kept the same, in my honest opinion.
  • Like 4

Predictions are hard, especially when they are about the future. -- Yogi Berra

That being said, I'd lay very good money that within fifteen years, ONE company will own both what are now Cedar Fair Entertainment Company and Six Flags Entertainment Corporation.

That makes predicting Kings Island's wood coasters' futures far more difficult than it otherwise would be.

Having had the misfortune of riding what was the once glorious Comet at The Great Escape, a member of the Six Flags Theme Park family, in New York State last summer, all I can say is "Ouch!"

• Like 1

Predictions are hard, especially when they are about the future. -- Yogi Berra

That being said, I'd lay very good money that within fifteen years, ONE company will own both what are now Cedar Fair Entertainment Company and Six Flags Entertainment Corporation.

That makes predicting Kings Island's wood coasters' futures far more difficult than it otherwise would be.

Having had the misfortune of riding what was the once glorious Comet at The Great Escape, a member of the Six Flags Theme Park family, in New York State last summer, all I can say is "Ouch!"

So long as that one company isn't Caesars Entertainment trying to branch out from gaming...their track record of (not) maintaining their properties in Vegas would not bode well for any park they aquired.

May I commend the middle (second) row of any CAR (not train--CAR)?

I bet you change your tune...

IMO, last year such a seat on The Racer was rougher than 6-3 on The Beast.

I can believe this. Last year, my one ride on Racer was far rougher than usual, and very bumpy. Beast on the other hand gave some of the smoothest rides I've ever gotten on it- whoever did that retrack did a great job on it, and KI should probably have them head over and do Racer too. If they can get Racer running consistently the way it was on my ride in May 2012 (very smooth and full of airtime) it's popularity will start to go up again. But if isn't cared for, it'll get rough and eventually few if any will be riding it and that will force the park to remove or RMC it. I hope that doesn't happen, as when it's running well, Racer is a solid coaster and a historic one to boot.

• Like 2