Week XV: Best Character/Theme Era at Kings Island

BB1

It seems as if every era of Kings Island has some sort of prominent theme region. Whether it be a waterpark, or a theme park addition, it seems as both have certain eras. Many of the older stock here would remember the Hanna-Barberra era, filled with Yogi Bear and Scooby Doo, others would remember Nick and Snoopy taking over in the 2000's. So, in light of the recent Time Machine poll, which era was the best theme/character era at Kings Island?

PLEASE NOTE: You can choose multiple answers for multiple areas and eras.

This is a tough one. I love KI in general, but looking back, I have fond memories of the place when I was younger. Is this fondess just nastolgia, or is it legitimate? Could be both. However, there are a few things that I think were definitely better in the past then they are now. Some of the scenery was better than it is now because some of it has been removed for current rides. Some classic rides have definitely been removed (ex. Antique Cars, Flying Eagles, Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal, etc) which kind of sucks because they were classic.

In general, I do miss the prominently themed areas. I liked how it was back when I was a kid. You'd go from area to area and you knew which area you were in because of the theme and sometimes even the music that was playing. Now, everything just runs together and you're blasted with Pop music everywhere you go. Not cool. I miss the epicness of International Street and the epic intrumental music they used to play when you walked through the gates. This definitely brought a different feel then it does currently. These are things, I feel, should've been left alone.

Now, we could argue some other things, but that would be mainly opinion. For example, I think I'll alway prefer the Hanna-Barbera era that we had in the "kids" area but that can be expected because I'm 34 and grew up with those cartoons. Heck, I even enjoyed the Nicktoons in that area as well. I'm just not big on the Peanuts, and I'm not sure why. This is all just opinion though. I definitely preferred some of the other rides that were removed (ex. Enchanted Voyage, Phantom Theater) and wish those rides would've been left alone because they were better in my opinion. (Is this just an opinion though? Are there really people that think Boo Blasters is a great ride? Eh, maybe someone does).

And finally, I loved the old train ride. I loved the animatronic figures that you'd encounter along your adventure. The pioneer villages, the indians, etc. This was a great addition to the train ride and elevated it to another level completely. We lost a great thing when those elements were removed.

There have been many great eras in the history of Kings Island. Some of the changes have been good, some of them not so good. However, things change and I guess we'll just have to deal with that. Here's hoping that we'll have many more great eras to come though!

• Like 5

I miss the Paramount days at Kings Island, it was just great time filled movie based rides and attractions.

The current Cedar Fair days are pretty intense, with new rollercoasters, great food selections, and one wicked water park.

These days may be good, but i'm excited what the future Kings Island has in store for us.

I've been a Kings Island fan since birth. :D

• Like 2

I voted for Action Zone, Waterworks, Soak City, Pre-Diamondback Rivertown, Hanna Barbara, Nickelodeon and Tower Gardens- Paramount years. Action Zone is one of my favorite areas in the park and I was little when Paramount's Action Zone was new. I voted for both Waterworks and Soak City because while I grew up with Waterworks, I was (and still am) very impressed by the new Soak City paint job. I also voted for pre-Diamondback Rivertown because Swan Lake was pretty cool. Regarding the kid's areas, I voted for Hanna-Barbara and Nick because I grew up with a mixture of both. Finally, voted for Tower Gardens during the Paramount years because the walkway with stars was cool and the waterfall actually worked back then!

EDIT: Just to add: although Boomerang Bay might have been more themed than WaterWorks, I picked WaterWorks because nostalgia.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I personally prefer more thematic elements to areas and rides than to bigger and badder attractions. I'd rather have a short, themed dark ride with a fun and emersive interactive queue (see Peter Pan's Flight, Magic Kingdom) than a record-breaking invert with little to no theming at all (Banshee, sorta).

I'm not saying I don't like Banshee, but I am saying the sweet spot is where you can combine a great coaster like Banshee with heavy thematic elements to make a one-of-a-kind ride (see Expedition Everest).

great coaster + great theme = happy me

• Like 4