Disney World updates

In an ongoing effort to ease the always-long lines at two of its signature attractions, Disney has announced the construction of both a 3rd track for Toy Story Midway Mania at the Studios and a 3rd theater for Soarin' at Epcot. As part of the upgrade, a new, digital print, screens and projection system used to deliver the movie will also debut in all 3 theatres. Completion is set for Fall 2016.

• Like 5

Back when they were designed, both the Monorail and Peoplemover were the transportation of the future. As Walt explained himself in the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow documentry, the two modes worked together in the same system. The Monorail would transport people over long distances ( eg. suburbs to downtown), whilst the areas around it's stations would have people movers to get riders to there final destination (home/work/store).

There were a lot of interesting transportation experiments going on in the 60s/70s and quite a few of them focused on the idea of an elevated guide way on which a vehicle could move on. Though seen as futuristic at the time, I think most of those examples didn't quite pan out the way they had hoped. As a result, the remaining systems seem to be expensive to operate vs. more traditional transport systems (cars, trains, buses etc.).

Of course, my personal favorite example would be the WVU PRT (Personal Rapid Transit). Though, many people would argue that it isn't personal, it is seldom rapid, and hardly qualifies as transit.

1349099071.jpg

Look at that little guy go. He's adorable.

Walt was definitely an incredible visionary. I'd love to have seen more of his ideas come to fruition.

Side note: I've finally gone over 1000 posts! It only took me 10 years!

• Like 8

The article mentioned above is listed as premium content, so you need a subscription to view it. Boycott pay walls! :). What was free to view-MK will once again be open 24 hours straight to kick off the summer season, from 6a-6a May 22-23.

• Like 1

And soon it will be world wide I bet. The question is who gets it first Disneyland or their boats?

the Wired article said it has already been on some of their boats.

I am going through the process of planning a trip not just for me but for the entire family. All 6 adults and 2 kiddos under 3. The process to get them linked would have been perfectly seemless if I would have just waited for my sister to create her account, instead of me creating it for her under my name. We have all 3 reservations linked. I am able to get us all meal reservations, we have a schedule of when some things are. I dont think it takes away any spontaneity from our trip, or at least not yet. Im excited to try it down there in the park.

• Like 4

It wasn't an accident. One would think the CEO of a huge media company would be in the know on such things (and Iger is). He was pandering to the shareholders in attendance during the Q & A portion of the annual meeting (esp. the doe-eyed kid who asked the question). It's been known for some time that once the Star Wars overlay is complete (2017 is the latest), Disney will drop 'Studios' from the name. Fantasmic has no plans to go anywhere. The Rivers of Light show debuting this summer at AK will be Florida's answer to Worlds of Color. Following that, Disney will then work on a new nighttime parade for MK so that the MSEP can be permanently put out to pasture.

• Like 4

If the floats, costumes and other set pieces weren't in such miserable shape, Disney could bring back what in my mind anyway was a far far superior nighttime parade in SpectroMagic with a relatively nominal investment. Nostalgia aside, the MSEP is so outdated, it makes Epcot look futuristic!

• Like 1

It wasn't an accident. One would think the CEO of a huge media company would be in the know on such things (and Iger is). He was pandering to the shareholders in attendance during the Q & A portion of the annual meeting (esp. the doe-eyed kid who asked the question). It's been known for some time that once the Star Wars overlay is complete (2017 is the latest), Disney will drop 'Studios' from the name. Fantasmic has no plans to go anywhere. The Rivers of Light show debuting this summer at AK will be Florida's answer to Worlds of Color. Following that, Disney will then work on a new nighttime parade for MK so that the MSEP can be permanently put out to pasture.

Agreed. Fantasmic is super popular still. Was just there last month during their off season and the stadium was still almost entirely filled during the middle of the week. Would love to see world of color come to WDW but think it would work better at EPCOT. They could use a new nighttime show as well. Though Reflections fits the idea of the park better.

Looking forward to all the big changes come to Hollywood Studios (or whatever it is to become). It has needed a lot of work and expansion and they seem to be gearing up for it with all of their cuts in attractions and bringing over the ones who did California Adventure's remodel.

• Like 1

Not an update, but I read this really nice article on Theme Park Tourist earlier today about The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter at Magic Kingdom. I know some on here likely already know all of this, but I found it extremely informative for the younger folk like me.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20150310/30034/depth-retrospective-extraterrorestrial-alien-encounter

• Like 7

It was a great attraction, but when it first opened, was found to be way too scary for the younger set, so Eisner ordered it neutered on a site visit not too long after it first opened. I'm not a fan of Stitch. As for Illuminations, it too isn't going anywhere or being updated. From a production standpoint, it is an expensive nightly show for Disney, and with other priorities in WDW, I wouldn't hold your breath for any updates.

• Like 1

Not an update, but I read this really nice article on Theme Park Tourist earlier today about The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter at Magic Kingdom. I know some on here likely already know all of this, but I found it extremely informative for the younger folk like me.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20150310/30034/depth-retrospective-extraterrorestrial-alien-encounter

This was a interesting read for me as I knew nothing about it. Thanks!

• Like 3

Usually the reservations open at 6 AM ET, but I know that oftentimes, one can get into the system just past midnight. I already have a lunch reservation while I'm there, but would consider getting one for breakfast if the rest of my party is on board. The menu def has a French theme and at $19.99/$11.99 has a price to match. Breakfast includes a pastry basket, entrée and beverage, so prob not such a bad deal (but if you're going to pay $20 for waffles or French toast sticks there are places in the MK to get those for half the price.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A preview (of sorts) of the new Disney movie Tomorrowland will run from mid April through May 22 at the current home of that beloved (or not) 80s sfx masterpiece known as Captain EO. The extended preview will utilize the built-in sfx in the theater to give guests a "plus" experience as it were. The movie comes out on May 22 right as the preview ends. While Disney says MJ and Co. will return once the previews are over, this could be the impetus to continue with the changes at Epcot.

Innoventions West (East has been closed for some time) will close on May 1 for an extended time in order to bring guests something new. No word on where the Disney Character Spot (a special character meet and greet available only to those holding a Disney-branded Visa) will relocate to (I vote for the former Odyssey-it's been used as special event space before and has the space to handle the crowds).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is the future, for better or worse down there. You scan your Magicband to get into your resort, get into your room (you can bypass checkin; they text you your room no) meals, FP, gifts, everything. A lot of people grouse that once the 3 FP are gone, you can only utilize kiosks or those CM w Ipads to get more. Their network wouldn't be able to handle the crush of people if additional FP could be gotten on smartphones. Also, it would be nice to be able to spread out your 3 among more than one park. They just upgraded their wifi and I STILL sometimes found it easier to just use my regular LTE to access the app. Disney will continue to upgrade the experience, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the above 2 issues addressed within a year or 2.

• Like 3

Just booked my Fast Pass selections for my June trip. Interesting, that they dont have tiers for the MK rides, you just get three while at Hollywood Studios there is a two tier system.

Also, just found out Pirates will be down the week we are at the park, bummer.

Edit: thanks Terp!

• Like 1