Disney World updates

, Disney will then work on a new nighttime parade for MK so that the MSEP can be permanently put out to pasture.

Thank goodness. Best. News. Ever.

Having been to MK a time or two, question: near the end of the parade, some "patriotic" characters in period 1790's colonial gear march near the end of the parade.... in red. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or misinterpret, but weren't the British the "redcoats"?

• Like 2

Well, given that their jackets are lit up, you do see a lot of red; however, there are also subtle hints of white and blue as well. The parade zooms by fairly fast during busy times, so you may have missed it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For those interested, Disney has released the first piece of concept art for the new Frozen attraction being installed in the former Norway pavilion at Epcot.  At first glance, it looks like the old Maelstrom boats will be reused with no apparent changes.  Other information can be found at the link below:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/06/first-look-frozen-ever-after-at-epcot/?CMP=SOC-TWITTER20150609170231

• Like 2

The comments on there are quite funny, so much hate for Frozen. Also, I didn't know so many people went to Disney World to learn the history of Norway lol. 

Disney is in the business of making money, they have a new Frozen movie due out in a few years and Frozen is still extremely popular with young girls. Gotta change to stay relevant.

• Like 4

The part that excites me the most is the inclusion of the next gen animatronics like those found in the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train.  That along with stellar music and story will make this a can't miss attraction.  Now the only hope is the capacity of this ride has been improved greatly or lines will be insane.

• Like 2

how many, if any, of the countries in the World Showcase still sponsor their "area"?  Safe to assume this will be a hit, could it lead to more renovations from different areas being less about the country and more about the franchise or movie that Disney/Pixar created?

Pinocchio in Italy, perhaps Peter Pan starts out in England and takes you to Neverland?  Beauty & The Beast in France, Mulan in China, Jungle Book in India (not sure if that is a county or not in the showcase, but could be changed), same with Finding Nemo and Australia or Aladdin and Persia?  Snow White or Cinderella in Germany, etc..  Many of the films are set in generic European locations, so it would be fairly easy to say one belongs to one world, while another belongs to another.

How popular is The World Showcase?  Obviously, based upon the comments in the link above, some hold the educational value of it in high regard, I would assume the general public would look at it as a place for Maelstrom and now the Frozen Ride, as well as a great place to grab a bit to eat.  The last time I was there, which was almost 6 years ago with a then just turned 1 year old, Epcot felt kind of stale compared to the other parks.  Part of that was my wife & I were on are own at that park, so we couldn't easily jump over to Soarin' or Test Track or any of the bigger rides like we could at Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom where we had other members of our family who could look after our son while we jumped on the big rides that he couldn't ride.

For the Disney experts on here, and I way off base in undervaluing what the World Showcase means to the Epcot, and to an extent the park itself?

The World Showcase is a huge attraction at EPCOT, but you have already seen many of the characters you mentioned appearing in these countries.  Donald Duck's boat ride in Mexico has been around for ages based on the 3 Caballeros movie so folks that act like Frozen being incorporated in Norway is groundbreaking, its not.  Just on a new scale, but it has been done before at EPCOT.

• Like 3

Most of the countries in World Showcase are no longer being sponsored by their respective countries.  Norway is a prime example.  When the Norwegian government was underwriting much of the operating expenses, a ride showcasing the history of the country was fine.  Now that the agreement has long since expired, Disney is free to do what it wants with the pavilions. There is actually room for about 6-9 more countries, but a lot of countries not currently occupying buildings are represented in spring and fall by the flower and food festivals held at Epcot via food and/or souvenir kiosks in the "inbetween" spaces.

• Like 3

While I understand the point you are making, you will say and mean it when you walk right on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train because you scheduled your ride before you arrived rather than standing in the 2-4 hour standby line.  Trust me the FastPass+ system is amazing when used properly.

Most bloggers who have lambasted the system are locals who visit Disney every week.  If you are coming for that once in a lifetime or just your annual trip the system is your best friend.  

Agreed.  Especially since the system does not entail any extra cost on top of park tics.  It is still in its infancy, but the technology is such that it can be tweaked in any number of ways.  Lots of Disney folks like me have now seen firsthand that there really is no more offseason at WDW.  It's simply varying degrees of crowded.  Even on 'slow' days attraction standby waits are what lots of us on here would call 'very busy' (Saturdays) days at KI-with lots of waits at around 45 mins.  The FP+ system is designed to alleviate much of that problem.  If you can book your 3 rides for early enough, even on crowded days, you can get a few more FP for other rides, esp. if you're willing to go on them later in the day or night.  I'm certain the Frozen attraction will be a people eater, but have no doubt it'll be on the FP list as well (My guess is on the 'B' list, from which you can pick 2).

As for EPCOT it is still very popular but doesn't have quite the same draw as the other parks. Magic Kingdom is the biggest draw since it is the quintessential Disney. Hollywood Studios is smaller but has some major rides and the two biggest thrill rides in the resort so it can get packed more easily with smaller footprint and less rides. Animal Kingdom offers some big attractions and something unique with the animals.

I understand the complaints from some about replacing an educational ride with something fantasy. It kind of goes against the original vision of the park. But as stated they are a business and Norway didn't want to sponsor the pavilion anymore. Besides they aren't replacing everything an turning it into an Arrendale pavilion but just adding a ride. This might actually draw more crowds to see the rest of the educational material they have there.

Would love to see some more rides added throughout the other countries. Would really help to update the park. Could see the Ratatouille ride from Disneyland Paris going into France pavilion, and Germany has an empty ride building that could be used for another dark ride. Had been rumors of a rapids ride for Canada that I think would be a great addition. This would allow the countries to update and have a bigger draw for guests, and the park as a whole, while still maintaining their educational value to with other exhibits and shows.

• Like 1

The laughable thing is that if you visit any Disney Parks message board, the overwhelming message of the fans is, "The parks are too crowded! There are way too many people! Disney needs to do something about it to thin the crowd and make the parks more fun!"

So Disney does just that. They raise prices.

And the response from those same fans? "How could they do this? They've priced my family out of a Disney vacation! I was a loyal fan and a frequent visitor, but they've really stepped in it this time, and I'm never going back! I just can't afford it and Disney is no longer for the middle class!" They fail to see the connection between the problem they identified and Disney's response to it.

"The parks are too crowded; they should do something about it." So Disney does something about it and suddenly you realize it was YOUR family who got edged out.

The parks are crowded. Extremely so in many cases. Partly to combat that and mostly to maximize their profits by doing so, they inch up the admission once or twice a year. And people keep coming, which only proves to Disney that it can and should continue to raise the price. It's a vicious cycle.

I wrote a history of Disney Parks admission pricing (with inflation) and talked about why it increases every year in this article if you're interested.

• Like 7

This is the beauty of our country. If you have something that is in demand expect to pay more for it. It sucks and sacrifices have to be made. My entire family is doing a big trip there and we leave tomorrow. We started saving and planning for Disney since Christmas of '13..... 18 months of planning for a week with 6 adults and 2 kiddos. It will be a blast. But we knew it was expensive and didn't want to cut ourselves too short or skimp on a family vacation.

Prices increase everywhere and for everything. Not a right to go to Disney....

• Like 6

The comments on my article are telling. One says, "Many of us who struggle with paying bills can no longer afford a day at the park. Until hourly wages rise to meet inflation, the problem of Disney park admission will continue to be controversial."

If you struggle to pay your bills, you shouldn't go to Disney World. *shrug* 

• Like 9

Very true. Once in a lifetime trip, I agree. And people are free to spend their money however they please, including saving smartly and consistently to afford a massive expenditure like a Disney vacation. I sure do. 

But the mentality that "I must get my children to Walt Disney World or I'm an ineffective parent" is the problem I see. Walt Disney World shouldn't be something you feel you ought to be entitled to visit every year or two, and you shouldn't think that any system in place or change in pricing that discourages that is inherently unfair or unjust to you. And unfortunately, I think it builds a sense of inferiority because if you don't take your kids to Walt Disney World on the reg, what's wrong with you?

White picket fence, ranch house, 2.5 kids, and a biennial visit to Walt Disney World. It's integrated into the middle class American dream, and I think that's the force that's building this contradiction: take your kids to Walt Disney World, but spend beyond your means to do so.

Disney's ticket pricing is battling that, purposefully or otherwise. At least part of the reason Disney raises prices is to "reduce crowding." Which is the nice way to say, to cut off people at the bottom. Like it or not, the family that struggles to pay bills is exactly the group that's going to be most significantly affected by a ticket price increase. Walt Disney World is a massive expense for the average person, much less someone who scrounges each month to pay the utilities. 

Maybe I shouldn't have said "you shouldn't go." Rather, maybe I should've said, "you don't have to go." 

• Like 7

... take your kids to Walt Disney World, but spend beyond your means to do so.

... Walt Disney World is a massive expense for the average person, much less someone who scrounges each month to pay the utilities. 

Maybe I shouldn't have said "you shouldn't go." Rather, maybe I should've said, "you don't have to go." 

There are something you say or do on here that I can not agree with at all, then you go and do this and I cant like it more than just 1 time.  The beauty of different people coming together for a conversation.  

We are slowly building an idea of entitlement and spending beyond our means for everything.  It used to be you needed a roof, food, and family and a way to provide them.  

Now its with this, eating out, having junk food, cable, internet, phones phones phones, etc....

For our trip each family of 3 is running about 2300 (not including flight) for the week long in the Disney hotel, with a meal plan, and the photo package.  To save money we could have rented a much cheaper hotel, Disney says we can bring our own food in, and each person has a camera on their phone.....

• Like 5

$2,300 for a week at Disney with park tickets, meal plan and photo package is a very good deal for the start of peak season.  I would challenge anyone to price a vacation to any popular tourist destination at a comparable time for a family of 3 including food and entertainment.  The cost is very similar.  As a family we have been pricing Myrtle Beach and a weeklong stay in a basic hotel room is ranging from $1,600 to $1,800.  Factor in food and any entertainment and we are around the Disney vacation price.

The article fails to mention that the cost of all vacations has risen, for my family it is more cost effective to visit Disney off season during free dining.  The cost is quite reasonable.

• Like 8

I'd elaborate on Rail's point by saying that Disney is emphasizing affordability by focusing construction on more of the "value" (and AOA-like) hotels than deluxe, while also catering to the Vacation Club folks by adding capacity there as well.  For every $400-500 a night room at Yacht/Beach, Floridan, etc. there are also an ample number of rooms available for $100-150 a night on property, depending on the season.  

• Like 3

I nearly live next door to the place and do not dream of visiting it.

I have been warming up to the place though because their Season Pass price isn't too bad when you think about all it comes with. Plus they don't make you pay for most all of it upfront, unlike Universal.

My main issue now is that the place is packed full for most of the year.

• Like 2

Only that its name was announced, which you've already seen.

Don't expect much more. It's still a year away. They'll certainly tease more as that date approaches, but nothing substantial for a while I'd say. What we know so far is that the ride WILL reuse Maelstrom's trough and boats which - to me - is very bad news. Along with announcing the ride, they announced that it would last 3.5 minutes (same as Maelstrom) which will be woefully disappointing for those who wait hours and hours.

No question - Frozen deserves park presence. But it doesn't belong in Epcot, it doesn't belong in Norway, and it shouldn't be a 3 minute boat ride.

• Like 5