Disney World updates

A lost post from shark6495, from Wednesday, June 17:

We as a family visited EPCOT today. It was meh.... First we rode test track. I was pumped for it and well, I was severely underwhelmed by it. Maybe it was me being 29, but it honestly felt like I was driving a convertible and then was dumped into a Chevy new car sales lot.

We then did Nemo which was very aged and then Crush. the Crush encounter was very nice as it was a great blend of animation and real interaction.

Then we walked the world showcase. Not enough shows in each area, and to be honest if I had paid $100 for a day there I would have been upset.

I was on the fence of adding Frozen to Norway, but after today I wish there would be something. I never had the chance to ride Maelstorm. But as it is right now, we had very little to do in the individual country areas.

The "local shops" appear to be nothing more than knic-knacks, but I did almost by a German Beer Stein. The character meet and greets were nice to see something as we walked.

We also saw a wonderful drum performance in Japan.

But EPCOT was nice as a slow down wander around park, but it really does need something, anything, everything. If each themed land had a Dark Ride or such that integrated something to "do" in each section it would be nice.

On a plus, we did eat at the Seas and I had a delicious Mahi Mahi meal...

shark6495 on June 21:

Just returned from WDW, may do a write up in a bit.  Not sure yet.  But the initial reaction to everything down there from the possible changes to FP+ is all positive...

FP+: It doesnt really remove any spontaneity from the trip at all, IMO.  We had a group of 6 adults and 2 kiddos.  We knew what rides we wanted to ride so we FP+ those early before arrival.  Once we used those 3 up we would hit a kiosk on our route and schedule another ride for us to use.  I think at Magic Kingdom we used 7-8 FP+ rides.  Only ride we did not ride was Big Thunder Mountain because we were exhausted.  
Dinner reservations: These came in handy as our longest wait for a sit down dinner was 10 minutes.  Good choice here.
EPCOT: Needs, something.  Either more shows or more rides.  The shows seem to be scheduled around the same time in each land which hurts a traveler.  You finish one show and you miss the next.  EPCOT is a good visit, dont get me wrong, but having left EPCOT and if we return next year it is not a must do.  
Future Expansion for Avatar Land: Love the idea.  Having spent part of the day in Dino Land which is centered around Dinosaurs or Asia with its center on a snow monster, Avatar Land would not take away from the real world experience of the rest of the park.  Plus the safari ride is top notch!
Hollywood Studios: You can tell this park is in transition.  But a Star Wars Land and a Pixar Land would fit well into what the studios is coming now...
Meal Plan: had a basic table and QS meal plan.  By the middle of the week our appetites shrank considerably and it become just too much food.  But it was nice to have all of the food purchased before we arrived...
It was very nice to be able to leave the hotel room and only need to take a phone and the magic band.  Magic Band held all of our data on it and we could charge to the room for purchases as needed...

• Like 1

The hottest thing at Disney World right now is... poo.

What? http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-dewayne-bevil-disney-poop-harambe-20150625-column.html

(If you get a message requiring you to subscribe to view the article, reload the page and then hit the Esc key the instant the article comes up to prevent the subscription message from loading.)

• Like 2

The hottest thing at Disney World right now is... poo.

What? http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-dewayne-bevil-disney-poop-harambe-20150625-column.html

(If you get a message requiring you to subscribe to view the article, reload the page and then hit the Esc key the instant the article comes up to prevent the subscription message from loading.)

Just like that, no more poo for you! The poo-shaped treats have been discontinued.

• Like 2

I posted this before the last server hiccup... 

http://screencrush.com/cranium-command-inside-out/

There have surely already been talks of an Inside Out attraction. The Cranium Command show space could easily be transformed into the Headquarters of Inside Out.

Read More: How a Defunct Disney World Attraction Inspired Pixar’s ‘Inside Out’ | http://screencrush.com/cranium-command-inside-out/?trackback=tsmclip

I really believe that if they were to update the Nemo ride, do something like this, and add a few things spread through out the lands, it would add so much to EPCOT.  In each land, if there was just a boat ride or a dark ride, something to add something to make it unique....

EPCOT does not feel like it has the flare it once did...

• Like 4

I agree shark. There is lots of space to add stuff in World Showcase to enhance the experience and excite kids more while keeping the traditional feel and educational value as well with the history, architecture, and films/shows. There is a show building in Germany already and room to bring the Ratatouille dark ride over to put in the France area. Had been talks at one time of a brother Bear raft ride in Canada to block the view of the Imagination pavilion and Soarin' buildings from the World Showcase. Not sure Brother Bear was popular to use those exact characters but that would be a good addition. Could bild a bullet train themed coaster in Japan too.

• Like 2

So Im trying to rethink what I wrote earlier and here is my sort of re-do of the areas to sort of make them more intriguing to the park guests..

Currently, the front of EPCOT really does feel dated.  Test Track is sort of a weird mix of riding in a convertible and being dropped off at a car lot, complete with car people walking around talking to you about the features of the Chevy you are looking at.  Didnt get a chance to ride the Mission:Space but we did go into the after show ride.  That was a solid activity center about fixing the rockets.  On the other side we did Nemo and it really did feel dated.  Comparing it to the Little Mermaid ride in Magic Kingdom is a stark difference.  The Nemo characters being in the aquarium was a nice touch, but overall the tanks look a bit dated.  We didnt do Soarin.  

So here is my ideas:

At Test Track, retrofit it to be similar to Cars.  Sort of like Disney Land.  Still talk about the creation of vehicles or the designing of a race car (hosted by Lightning and Mater) for example.   Add the Inside Out in the old Cranium or Imagination pavilions.     Either hard core clean the aquarium up or replace the animals with something else.  With the buildings, they need a redo on the outside.  It really does look just sterile and not welcoming.

Looking around at the lands..They need more shows.  Keep the Grand Fiesta ride in Mexico.  It is a nice throw back and enjoyable boat ride.  It seems that the Frozen Ride will be going in next door, that could be good as it adds more. In Germany, I would like to see a Oktoberfest type show go in there.  maybe walking entertainers in each land (similar to the Drummers in Japan). In all of the lands this would be true.  I just dont like how even with the Princesses they seemed to be at the same time so you could miss them.  

I would be okay if they had put a dark ride or show around Aladdin in Morocco, Mulan in Japan, and Ratatouille in France... Design them to give the feel of the land, while also incorporating the characters we associate with Disney.  

The other way, would be to just completely level all of EPCOT and rebuild/redesign with a true eye on the future or futuristic ideal...

• Like 5

I think its silly for Disney to close half of their park (Hollywood Studios) and still charge full price for tickets I think they should cut the price(I know they wont)

Imagine people who have never been finding out you can count the number of attracions with your fingers.

Epic meh.

I mean, I wasn't impressed by DisneyQuest in 2012, but I also don't follow the NBA and suck at basketball. So I really couldn't care less.

I went there in May with my 2 oldest nieces. It was fun enough...but it wasn't a place I imagined us going to again. Most of the staff weren't what I was expecting after hearing glowing things about Disney team. The simulator rides didn't agree with me at all and there were several things broken. So...with that "glowing" review, it was nice to go and spend the day being with my nieces. It reminded me a Disney themed GameWorks or Dave and Busters.

• Like 2

Just another small part of the continued transformation of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs.  As mentioned Disney Quest was really nothing more than a D&B or Gameworks with the Disney name.  I think this is a wise choice because young boys to my surprise love the NBA

• Like 2

Well, watch out. Neither fits the new, more reverent, upscale outlet mall motif they're going for. You wouldn't likely find a dinosaur-themed restaurant in a volcano in a turn-of-the-century Floridian village built around a natural spring.

But truthfully, I've only been to Downtown Disney in Florida once. It could be that that old Marketplace area will remain unchanged with only the old Pleasure Island and the new space nearby getting a new overlay. Which would surprise me, because if that's the case why is this taking 5 years?

EDIT:

84.png

The T-Rex restauraunt is located in the tan building just below the "g" in Landing. Its tan color might suggest that it's staying and NOT part of the new Disney Springs, which is just a little silly when you think about it. 

• Like 4

Personally, I'm more likely to go for a nice, brisk, speedy, city walk.

Disney Springs is probably a needed enhancement. However, it only makes the area appear even MORE like a ritzy, upscale, outlet mall. Which is fine, since that's essentially all that it is. But I don't see how that will markedly increase the number of people visiting, besides maybe retired locals. Which, granted, is probably a big win.

• Like 2

This is one time the the time frame for construction for Disney seems quick.  The amount of construction that has and is going on is very impressive for Disney Springs to be on the time line it is.  Also construction is slated to be complete by 2016.

• Like 2

Three years, then. I can appreciate the scale of this project and just how dramatically it will change the look, feel, and size of the former Downtown Disney. As well, I won't go on to list how many things Universal had constructed and opened in the last three years (including a pretty sizable renovation of their own "downtown" district) because - while I prefer it - I can admit that Universal Orlando is working a completely scope.

Think of Universal Orlando. All of CityWalk was built at once, alongside Islands of Adventure. All of the infrastructure is unified. The entire resort was master-planned to fit perfectly where it is and to expand in the ways it has expanded. CityWalk, for example, was built all-at-once to be an integral part of the resort's transit system, hotel system, parking system, and the mandatory entry to the theme parks. Brilliant design that's functional and united in the same aesthetic. The expansion from a single park and its parking lot to a built-out resort was instantaneous, NOT over many many decades.

See also the Disneyland Resort. Same thing. Disney California Adventure, two hotels, Downtown Disney, the resort's parking system, the resort's transportation, and the Esplanade traffic center all came online at the same time. You can sense that it's all very brilliantly planned and purposeful, and all united in the same style and substance thanks to being designed and built all at once, and recently. Again, Disneyland and its parking lot were expanded and built out all at once, NOT over many many decades.

Walt Disney World is different. Downtown Disney was operating on elements from the 1970s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. That whole resort is piecemeal technology and infrastructure from the last four decades. To install sweeping renovations there requires a lot more work and a lot more cohesion. That's not the case at Universal Orlando or Disneyland Resort where all of the infrastructure (from transportation to traffic flow to hotels) has the benefit of small size and all-at-once construction during the new millennium.

• Like 2

Great point GYK.  I wonder if the major delays we have seen in Disney is really because of the whole Magic Band situation.  The entire park is retrofitted and used the Bands pretty flawlessly.  The only issue we had was linking one of our Bands with the resort (but Im not sure that is Disney or our Fault.  2 of our groups was fine, 1 was not).  

From the sensors in each store/restaurant to buy something to the sensors on the rides that detected where you sat and got on ride photos of it.  

When I was down there, I spoke with a few workers about the bands.  Most said they really liked it because of the simplicity and the speed in which transactions happened (no change to count back, no getting CC out and putting them back).  A few employees did mention (unsolicited) that they had heard/told by other employees (so that doesnt mean anything) that Universal may pay royalties to Disney to use the same type of system.

• Like 1

I agree GYK, Disney World is working on a much bigger scope than any of those other properties.

And Shark the Magic Band system infrastructure is quite amazing when we consider all that it can do.  That system was installed without interruption to daily park activities.  That too me is very impressive.

• Like 4

How so? We look at the bands as pure extra for the park goer... The information Disney gathers is probably worth more than what was spent. Guest trackers, line waits, park flow, not to mention what is being spent or not.

The next step could be an integration of the band with the app. Offer you coupon, ride, or show info based on where you are. The bands are great for the guests, but in sure the data that is culled is better than any other data system before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Hell freezes over would Disney allow its MB tech to be 'leased' out to any competitor.  They've only scratched the surface of what the technology can do. I'd imagine once the DHS conversion is done and Avatar is opened, we'll really see the full capabilities of the system. 

• Like 2