Disney World updates

Little Sears-Roebuck mail order cottages would fix that mall problem. This I know.

But the cottages have to be put together by crews of men who haven't picked up a hammer since high school. There can be no wall straight enough to only need one layer of joint compound.

(And I'm sure Terp is the only one that will get this joke.)

• Like 1

If you visit, prepare to be astounded by the mesmerizing technology of the 1990s, not a single example of which holds a candle to even an iPhone 1. The technology at DisneyQuest was astounding and unimaginable in 1998. Not one thing has been added or updated since then. Not one. Even the most then-cutting-edge attractions pale in comparison to the screen in your pocket. It was either invest heavily, or close it. And truthfully, that decision – one way or the other – should've happened about a decade ago. Charging an entry fee for DisneyQuest is not unlike selling 3D glasses in line for Disaster Transport.

If you're running around with friends or family, you'd have a blast. Like at any Dave & Busters, just with Disney themed games. But is it a Disney quality experience? No. And moreover, it feels like a serious money grab to have let it wither this long and still ask a (relatively) steep price for entry. We're talkin' Windows 95 fat-backed computers. Yikes.

If I were you and already had the Water Park Fun & More option, I'd be sure to drop in for an hour or two when visiting Downtown Disney before it closes. 

• Like 6

If you already have the Water Park Fun & More option, and have an extra visit on that option to spare, it's worth going in for a bit if only to look around.

If you don't have a WPF&M visit to spare, or you didn't add that option in the first place, it's not even remotely worth the entry fee. I might consider paying $5 to get in, or even $10, but $48? Hell no.

jcgoble3, who tried to like DisneyQuest in 2012, without success

• Like 5

I do indeed have a 1-Day Magic Your Way ticket with the added Water Park Fun & More option.

Interestingly, the 1-Day Water Park Fun & More options allows 2 admission tickets (instead of the expected 1 ticket) to the Water Park Fun & More destinations.  My dad wants to go golfing with me at Disney's Oak Trail golf course, so there's one.  The other could very well be DisneyQuest if it's a rainy day, or Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park if it's a sunny day.

Pray for sun I guess?

• Like 4

DisneyQuest was a brave idea constructed just as technology's meteoric rise began. It was quickly left in the dust and rather than reinvestment, Disney decided to let it rot while reaping big bucks off admission. One of the more embarrassing moves they've made.

• Like 4

Does anyone know when Disney Springs is suppose to be "Officially" completed?

Just saw on Inside The Magic Facebook page that the name will officially change to Disney Springs on September 29.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wonder how long it will take people to stop referring to it as Downtown Disney?

• Like 4

Does anyone know when Disney Springs is suppose to be "Officially" completed?

Just saw on Inside The Magic Facebook page that the name will officially change to Disney Springs on September 29.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wonder how long it will take people to stop referring to it as Downtown Disney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSYWtcwUdU

• Like 2

For those looking for a soon-to-be collectible, Disney has quietly announced that after Oct 3, Duffy the Disney Bear is being discontinued.  His meet and greet will be quickly changed over to accommodate Daisy Duck and the bear will be pulled from all shelves resort-wide.

• Like 3

Well for the target audience it is worth it. If you lived or visit a lot the price is the equivalent of what 10 single day tickets? Plus parking and photos? Plus it helps cut down on people buying annual passes?

This would be similar to KI rising their price for a season pass up to 300-600$ for the year.

Honestly if you only go a handful of times this won't be worth it. But if you are a local or someone who visits the parks 15-20 times a year this is well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Even as someone who will be moving to Florida next year, I totally, 100% disagree.  Lets see, we saw our largest number of patrons, OK, lets RAISE prices since... you know..... XXX million in profit isnt enough.  For an individual with a "dont screw the people" mindset like me, this weighs heavily on my decision, regardless of how close to or far away from the park I am.  For a regular, in-state Resident potential visitor like myself and my Wife, the "Disney Magic" ceases to exist, it becomes just another series of theme parks.  Take away the "Once or twice a year Magic" aspect that a vacationing Family looks forward to, things change drastically.

EDIT:  Using your analogy, Id have to ask anyone who would pay $300 for a KI season pass if they needed their head examined.  Now, a PLATINUM Pass, at a price point of say $5 to $600, which includes all CF properties, I can accept.

• Like 3

I can understand your point, but only sort of. The park had a record number of people. To help control the amount of people entering the park it can do only a certain number of things, one of those is raise prices. Higher prices lesser amount of people. There is a tipping point on all products of how much can they charge before they see a decline in numbers large enough for profit to decrease.

I get what you are saying but if you go often doesn't that make DW just another park? The higher price would mean less people in the park right?

Also not 100% sure about the vacationing family comment (feel free to explain that a bit more).

Also if tomorrow KI said he all Gold passes are $200, they would see sales numbers from but probably not by 50%. Which means the park would make the same amount of money on the sales. Also if it rose to $300 would the park really see a 67% decrease in sales? Maybe but probably not.

Fewer people in the park, smaller lines or that's the thought.

What I meant about the lack of magic is just what you said.... to me, who will live within an hour or two of the park, its 100% no different fundamentally than CP, or add any other park in there you wish.  ITs a theme park full of rides, albeit better themed than the "regular" regional parks.  Therefore, the price is MUCH less justified to regulars who can very simply do what the KI-heads do.... "Oh, let me pull up the trusty web cams and if its too busy, I will not go".  In regards to the vacationing Family, the price IS justifiable to them, to see the looks on their Childrens faces when they see the big funny happy cuddly characters, so the Disney Magic exists.  The counterpoint to that is this, wouldnt you as a business owner/CEO want to see MORE smiling Families?  When it is getting to the price point of only other CEO and upper level Execs being able to afford to bring their Families, that would upset me if my company was already making mutli-million dollar profits and dividends for myself and shareholders.  I guess thats why Im not a CEO, I care too much about the people who buy my product.

• Like 4

I think I understand (it may be the Sunday afternoon, or my head cold making me thick, or my son being up for 2 hours last night being sick).  

I take the other side though.  By raising the price of the park, they are trying their best to eliminate the people who head to the park all of the time.  Making it a once a lifetime or so thing isnt all that bad.  

You are right though, you want as many people in the park as you can handle.  But if everyone who comes witnesses a 3 hour line, its not much for anyone.  So by raising prices (both on passes and individual days) the amount of people spending 40 days a year in the park decreases.  

And in all fairness, if we look at the WDW complex which is (829 for the year).  That gets you into the 4 parks, 2 water parks, golf course, and the ESPN complex (plus the photo moments).  So you get lets say 6 parks and a golf course plus sporting events if you want.  829/7 areas (parks+water+ golf) = 118 per park.  Thats to be used for 365 days per year.  KI gold is is 90 for little less than 180 days for one park.  As you said, its a theme park with better theming/etc so I would be okay with the price point they introduced.  

But then again, I think your reaction and my reaction is exactly what this is price raise is for.  For me, I would drop the 900 per family member (If I lived in the Orlando area or plan on going 10 different times per year) as it would be worth it.  But for you this may not be but that doesnt mean you wont still go once or twice a year.  

Neither of us is more right or more wrong...

• Like 1

YEa I've had a few friends that have lived or worked down there. And all said it loses some of the magic but I think overall it still retains it more than a regional park. They are much more innovative rides and fully immersive. You can really have a great time just walking around and more shows and great fireworks to catch. But yea it isn't nearly the same as when you visit every couple years or so.

I actually (personally) think CF is doing the opposite.  If you look at in park prices of things versus the gate price between the two its a striking difference.  The Disney company appears to have a higher gate price to limit the amount of patrons in the parks (while keeping profits up) but keeping the prices low enough in the park to encourage more spending.  CF seems to have a real low gate price but inflated prices in the parks (which means a lower number of people buying in the park but for more money).  I sort of wish CF would adopt the Disney or Universal pricing scheme of cheaper in the park purchases buy a higher gate price.  

I would pay the 200-300 per family member for a KI pass (if I can guarantee going 10 times during the year with the cheapest gate price being $30ish).  But thats just me.

• Like 5

Great point. Even the buffets had quality food for not that bad of price 45/plate but that included drinks and character meet and greets which beats being in the Fla sun for too long with a toddler.

This convo makes me miss my WDW trip and sort of not want to renew my KI pass but it's "something to do all summer"

• Like 2