Disney World updates

If you think Cedar Fair hasn't attempted to optimize pricing for maximum profit over the long haul...

Surely you don't think they have altruistically left money on the table out of the innate goodness of their hearts?

Of course I dont, come on man, Ive been somewhat anti CF for longer than Ive been on this site, and if anything I was hoping a former Disney guy would make it BETTER.  sorry, from a park operations standpoint at CP this year, I am the most disappointed Ive been since he took over.  Now, with how you know I feel about DK, thats saying something.  My point, is and has been, this.  Like shark said, neither his nor my thought process is more right or wrong than the other, I simply feel that its a B.S. maneuver.  Ive said for years, publicly on this Forum even, that the CF Platinum is vastly under-priced for free parking and admission to 14 parks.  Thats why I stated earlier that Id be more willing and comfortable paying $5 to $600 for a CF Platinum than the nearly $900 for WDW P+

• Like 2

Oh, right on, and like you said its all relative.  I think the part in the ad that states it was/is the second price increase just this year really stuck in my craw, because its putting the parks in the "Country Club" realm in my eyes.  I know how special it is to Families, and I just wish more Families were able give the gift to Their Children, and two price increases per year isnt going to make that happen.

• Like 4

I wrote at length about this for a website I frequent when this happened last year, and you're welcome to read that here.

The TL;DR of it?

• Disney Parks are not growing (can not grow?) at the same rate as their attendance. Estimates show that Disney Parks attendance figures grow by substantial percentage points every year. If you've been to the parks, you know: they're packed. To. The. Gills. What used to be the "off season" is now as packed as the summer – international tour groups, school groups, sports groups... If it's not families, it's Annual Passholders. And most every Disney Fan agrees, Disney Parks are too crowded. At this rate, they're in bad shape unless they change the number of visitors who come. That is to say: You cannot complain about how crowded Disney Parks are while simultaneously complaining about price hikes.
  • The unfortunate and uncomfortable truth of the matter is that raising prices maximizes profit and thins crowds to a level that's more enjoyable for those who can afford it. Most people who have been to Disney Parks agree that Disney needs to let fewer people in. The discomfort comes when you realize that it's your family's income level that gets axed. 
  • The tired argument that Disney Parks have out-priced the average American family is exhausting. Disney has always been a premium experience. I personally blame that on the distorted notion that's somehow made its way through society that any normal, middle class, American family will take their children to Walt Disney World even if they have to take out a second mortgage to do it. So no, Disney is not trying to destroy the American dream and ruin middle class childhoods. It's doing just what any reasonable company with a responsibility to its shareholders would: maximizing its profits. If, along the way, some families become unable to afford an annual trip, then so be it. Then they'll have solved the crowding issue at the same time. It's not a rosy fairytale, but it is a smart business decision and a way to increase guest satisfaction at the same time. And if you're one of the chorus of people who starts babbling every year at this time about how Disney will never get another of your dollars and you've been priced out and you quit and you're done with Disney Parks, then save it. It's not true, and you know it.

It's also important to note that single and Multi-Day Tickets have not increased. They're rumored to increase in November, but it would probably be a typical "a few dollars more" rise that's become annual. The purpose of this particular hike was to begin to reform the Annual Pass program, which is long, long, long overdue. Objectively, it should probably be eliminated altogether. But the purpose does appear to be making the Annual Pass program an elite program with far fewer participants than it currently has. Which is a good thing. Getting rid of monthly payment options should be the next step.

By the way, a four-day trip to Disneyland is still $65 a day, which is on par with most other entertainment ventures. 

If you decide that a Disney Annual Pass is no longer worthy of your investment, so be it. About three years ago, I was "priced out" of comfortably purchasing a Disneyland annual pass. So now I make one 5-day trip a year. And maybe it's better that way!

• Like 8

Before I even get in to the pricing, Disney from the beginning was marketed as the Middle Class escape to paradise.  If you have not done so, watch the PBS series the American Experience on Walt Disney.  Truly a captivating look at the man and the reasons behind Disneyland.  Its worth the 4 hours.

Regarding price of passes.  This is no big surprise, especially in the California market where passholders are viewed as more of a problem than what they are worth.  Typically the Passholder/Blogger crowd are the ones who complain when cinnamon rolls are removed, or Starbucks opens or any other so-called Disney sacred cow changes.  These folks are not the target consumer for Disney, but they are typically the most vocal.  Those who make an annual trip or the once in a lifetime trip the price is on par with most other resort destinations.  For example we are taking our next trip in September 2016, staying 7 nights at a Moderate level resort (Port Orleans Riverside), 6 day park ticket and free dinning.  We are spending just over $2,200 for a family of 4.  Compare that to most tourist areas at that time of year and the price is similar by the time you figure food and entertainment.  We could have done a value resort and spent around $1,700 roughly.  Seems like a reasonable price to me for a week long vacation with entertainment and dinning.

• Like 5

Disney is still well within reach for the middle class. For those struggling to pay their bills? No. And that is what it is and what it has always been. 

Someone commented on my article saying, " Many of us who struggle with paying bills can no longer afford a day at the park." Well... yeah. If you're struggling to make ends meet, don't go to a Disney Park. I mean, if you save and decide to spend your disposable income in that method, fine. It's your money. But to be upset that Disney won't lower prices so that you can go while struggling to pay bills is silly.

Go to Kentucky Kingdom.

Go to Kings Island.

Go to Kings Island with Fast Lane.

Go to Disney World.

Go to Disney World and stay on property.

Your options are plentiful and tiered, and limited by what you decide to spend and how. If you're struggling to pay your bills, then choose wisely.

• Like 4

Well for a week now anyway, it's known as Disney Springs.  Annual Passes are going up again for the second time this year, while daily parking now goes to $20 from $17.  Those free garages at Disney Springs have to be offset somehow...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Disney announced today that Dec. 1 will mark the start of the Star Wars-themed events around DHS.  For the first 90 days, Star Tours will only offer the ride program based on the new movie, after which it will join in with the other sequences.  Star Wars Launch Bay will also open Dec. 1.  Also, construction will begin on the new Star Wars land just after the new year, so Disney also announced that Star Wars Weekends would not take place in 2016.  No decision has been made about bringing the event back upon completion of the land.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Found a very cool aerial view update of the construction progess of Pandora - The World of AVATAR at Animal Kingdom. Click here for more.

FACE%20ON_zpsmwvcwiqg.jpg

(Source: orlparkpass.com)

Like others, I wasn't 100% sold on using AVATAR as the theme for this land but these pictures show some really impressive construction and I am sure that this area will blow people away when it is open. The next two years are looking to be very good for Animal Kingdom with the new nighttime offerings next spring and this area set to open in 2017, the park should be in good shape for its 20th anniversary in 2018!

In addition to the Animal Kingdom update the site also posted updates of the other 3 WDW theme parks and more that are definitely worth a look as well!

• Like 6

Disney is slowly rolling out the addition of Murphy-style beds resort-wide.  They are being installed with families in mind who may not want to stay at a place like AOA, but who also don't want to pay for 2 rooms at another Disney resort.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here's something to fuel the FastPass+ discussion: EasyWDW.com posted an article back in December about the new Star Wars stuff at DHS. http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/new-jedi-training-academy-trials-of-the-temple-signup-star-wars-launch-bay-strategy-chewbacca-and-vader-meet-and-greets-path-of-the-jedi-new-food-options-at-backlot-express-royal-guard-burger-and/

Apparently, though they're not turned on yet (or at least not as of the time the article was written), there are FP+ readers both at the entrance to the Launch Bay itself and the entrances to the character meet-and-greets inside. So it seems likely that if and when these attractions are added to FP+ (if they haven't been already), those making a reservation for the Star Wars character meet-and-greets will face the dilemma of either burning a second reservation on the Launch Bay itself, or else waiting in a potentially long line to get into the Launch Bay and hoping that it doesn't take so long that they miss their meet-and-greet window.

This doesn't seem like it would make for a positive guest experience.

• Like 2

Terp I see what you are saying but....

I have to disagree. I don't remember if you said you had or had not used it yet. So I apologize for forgetting.

The system is not that hard to manipulate either in the park, on your device, or on a computer. It actually made planning our day at the park easier. We knew we had to be at "a" by this time so made sure we went to that side of the park got our ride in and then continued on. Plus there are / were a ton of employees helping people schedule or making suggestions of what to schedule and for when.

I look at it like this. The old way we would meander around the park get one one or two big rides (because of the wait times) and possibly miss some other rides. Because of the tier system we had to ride the Peter Pan ride at Magic Kingdom (loved it) managed to ride almost everything in the park and still didn't feel like it was a "get to class" rush.

Now I will say it works because it is so limited. I'm not sure it would be fun if I had to schedule my whole day with all of my rides on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2