Disney World updates

Transformers even uses the same exact vehicles as Spiderman. They didn't even try to change it. It's basically the same ride.

Sure, in the same way that Pirates of the Caribbean and "it's a small world" are basically the same ride due to their identical ride systems. Or Jungle Cruise and Jaws; Peter Pan's Flight and ET Adventure; Cat and the Hat and Men In Black (yes, same ride system). The point is that even if guests look at Transformers' vehicles and say, "Hey, this ride must work just like the Spider-Man one!" it's hardly a problem.

Eh those are kind of stretches. Pirates is a different ride experience that IASW; Jungle Cruise and Jaws, and Peter Pan and ET might be pretty similar experiences but they are (were) in different parks; Cat & the Hate and MIB definitely have the same vehicles and ride systems, but offer pretty different experiences.

Spider-Man and Transformers, though, are the same exact ride with slightly different skins, each of which are a super hero-type action movie. The ride experience on those 2 rides is more similar than the other ones you mentioned.

When did Dr. Seuss starting teaching hate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Transformers even uses the same exact vehicles as Spiderman. They didn't even try to change it. It's basically the same ride.

Sure, in the same way that Pirates of the Caribbean and "it's a small world" are basically the same ride due to their identical ride systems. Or Jungle Cruise and Jaws; Peter Pan's Flight and ET Adventure; Cat and the Hat and Men In Black (yes, same ride system). The point is that even if guests look at Transformers' vehicles and say, "Hey, this ride must work just like the Spider-Man one!" it's hardly a problem.

Eh those are kind of stretches. Pirates is a different ride experience that IASW; Jungle Cruise and Jaws, and Peter Pan and ET might be pretty similar experiences but they are (were) in different parks; Cat & the Hate and MIB definitely have the same vehicles and ride systems, but offer pretty different experiences.

Spider-Man and Transformers, though, are the same exact ride with slightly different skins, each of which are a super hero-type action movie. The ride experience on those 2 rides is more similar than the other ones you mentioned.

When did Dr. Seuss starting teaching hate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Lollll didn't even notice that until now!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have you ever thought about what it would be like if you could recreate the scents from some of your favorite Disney rides, food and other attractions?  Well, wait no longer- A candle company out of Charleston, SC has introduced a line of such candles.  Rides such as the Haunted Mansion and Soarin' are featured, as are scents duplicating churros, Dole Whip and the Main Street Bakery.  Response has been so overwhelming that their website crashed, but was updated today to reflect that as of March 1 (or before), it should be in a position to take and fulfill orders again. Count me as a buyer when these are available again! (I'll prob buy the Mansion and Soarin').  See below for more information:

http://nerdist.com/disneyland-scented-candles/

• Like 5

The Anthology candles Etsy site is back up with a couple of interesting tweaks- they have modified themselves so as not to imply any affiliation with the Mouse (and they added a disclaimer as such..prob fearful Mickey would send ole Pete after them!) and have also stated that as of now, expected ship dates are 8-16 weeks from the time of order.  Given that they said earlier in the week that they wouldn't be back online until March 1, I'm hopeful the orders will ship before then.

• Like 2

So, after reading the article and checking out the "Disney" scented candles, I showed them to my wife and we discussed a few that we'd like to try.  Going back to the Etsy page tonight, we noticed that all the Disney candles have been removed and replaced with pictures of new candles, with new names and scents.  Hmm...I'm wondering if she's removed them permanently or what?  It's interesting that just yesterday the article was written stating that the Disney scents were back up for pre-order, then less than a day later, they've all been removed.  Thoughts?

For anyone who owns a Disney Vacation Club membership or is interested in DVC, at the annual December meeting, Disney Vacation Development announced renovations for Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, and Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

They also announced the addition of their 14th DVC property which will nestled within Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So, after reading the article and checking out the "Disney" scented candles, I showed them to my wife and we discussed a few that we'd like to try.  Going back to the Etsy page tonight, we noticed that all the Disney candles have been removed and replaced with pictures of new candles, with new names and scents.  Hmm...I'm wondering if she's removed them permanently or what?  It's interesting that just yesterday the article was written stating that the Disney scents were back up for pre-order, then less than a day later, they've all been removed.  Thoughts?

I placed my order before this and have not received anything stating that the candles won't ship as ordered.  The scents aren't proprietary, so if the name is changed, I'd imagine the candles can stay the same.  

• Like 1

I placed my order before this and have not received anything stating that the candles won't ship as ordered.  The scents aren't proprietary, so if the name is changed, I'd imagine the candles can stay the same.  

I must have missed my chance because all the candles had new names, and when I checked the description, completely different scents.  I'll keep my eye on this page and hopefully they'll make a return.

• Like 1

I think several names and descriptions changed for the same reason their labels no longer say "Disney Inspired" or "Disney Parks and Resorts Series".

Etsy makes it really easy to contact the store owner with questions so you could likely contact them to find the one you are looking for.

• Like 3

Great idea that will now end up within Disney Parks for twice the price.

Yeah, seriously! The way they act, you'd think that the Disney brand itself is worth something!

Hmmm... Come to think of it, maybe that's why Joe Schmo can't open an Etsy shop (or a candle shop) selling products that prominently use the brand's identity in hopes of banking on that affiliation.  ;):P

• Like 6

Their shop has other candles that have ties to intellectual property that isn't their own-i.e. Potter, Dr. Who, etc.  I haven't seen any evidence of a name change with them as of yet.  If Disney did these candles, they'd prob do it as a limited run-like they did with the Mansion-related merch.  With the expansion of the WOD in DS, there will be more shelves to fill.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything old is new again; rumblings from the coasts indicate that tiered ticket pricing may soon be implemented( read: as early as Monday) at both WDW and DL with prices falling into 3 tiers presumably based upon the time of year. All types of tickets and annual passes will be affected. Get those E tickets out of storage! (Not quite, but close).

• Like 1

Variable pricing simply has to happen. It makes tremendous sense in a park open year round that a visit in the middle of February (with many attractions closed, cool weather, and fewer visitors) costs less than those wishing to visit during June or December, when the parks are in high demand, all rides are open, and entertainment is tripled.

Universal Studios Hollywood just began variable pricing their tickets a few weeks ago. Though their system is really more like variable discounting, as the gate price ($95) is the highest you'll pay. When you pick the day you'd like your ticket to be valid, you might save $10 ($85 price) or even $20 ($75 price). So in other words, its incentivizing visiting during slower periods by discounting.

Disney's, according to murmurs on the street, will be the opposite. The current ticket price (or something close to it) will be valid on Value days. It'll only go up from there, to Regular and Peak prices. So Universal's discounts, Disney's (in essence) punishes you for choosing high-demand days. It all amounts to the same idea, it's just a different way of spinning it. And make no mistake – Disney's ticket prices should increase. But unless or until annual passes (particularly Southern California ones) go the way of the dodo and annual pass payment plans disappear, the overcrowding issues will not stop. This is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough on its own. Disney needs to have one, MAYBE two annual pass options. They need to start at $800, no monthly payment plans. Period.

• Like 8

Variable pricing is in effect, but ONLY for one day tickets. If you're interested, explore the new system here. ONLY when selecting one day tickets does a calendar appear, asking you to select a date. All the ticket combinations did go up in price, but ONLY one day tickets are tiered into Value, Regular, and Peak season pricing at this time.

If you ask me, Disney knows that this won't change a thing. By FAR, most visitors to Disneyland and Walt Disney World use multi-day tickets. Those who DO show up for a single day are often in town for a convention or special event and won't be likely to change their plans because it's a "peak" day (if they even realize the price could've been different if they'd visited another day).

But for now, one day tickets only. The problem many people imagined was that applying variable pricing to multi-day tickets would lead to complex equations and unclear understanding of why certain days cost more than others in a week long trip, especially since Disney (and Universal) discount the price per day day the longer you stay which is at odds with some days being more expensive than others and mathematically explaining how they arrive at each day's price... difficult to describe to guests. All I can say is that this is step one in what is sure to be a gradual and multi-year process of radically shifting Disney's gate model.

By time a Star Wars Land opens – in Disneyland particularly – I foresee all but the highest tier annual pass being gone and multi-day tickets being demand priced, too. It WILL take some computing and great clarity on behalf of Disney, but right now if my four day trip costs the same in January (when everything's closed) as it would in July, why in the world would I choose to take my kids out of school and visit in January? Tell me that my four days in July will cost $75 more per ticket and January suddenly won't look half bad.

Very, very, very few people visit Disneyland or Walt Disney World for a single day. Variable demand pricing for one day tickets will not do a thing to redistribute crowds. But it'll make the transition easier once the REAL crowd control measures kick in.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-demand-pricing-20160226-story.html

Prices "can't continue to go up without some pushback," [Dennis Speigel, president of consulting firm International Theme Park Services and familiar to many of us here in Ohio] said. "But right now, going into '16, there's no pushback."

And a timely reminder:

"I know some people get priced out, but we're not all born with the right to go to Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom," he said.
  • Like 4

It WILL take some computing and great clarity on behalf of Disney, but right now if my four day trip costs the same in January (when everything's closed) as it would in July, why in the world would I choose to take my kids out of school and visit in January?

For the same reason you would regardless of ticket prices: lighter crowds.

I too expect Disney to implement this for multi-day tickets eventually though. I just don't know how high they'd have to go to see a decrease or even plateau in demand, especially during peak times.

Some of the multi-day tickets increased by over 10%! That's not insignificant, and it has angered some folks over on the DIS boards, but the overwhelming majority seem to shrug it off or even encourage further price increases in hopes of seeing lighter crowds. Those folks can keep hoping all they want though because I can't see it happening unless we get another recession without seeing a drop in prices.

To me the sticker shock on ticket prices pales in comparison to the cost to stay on site. My goodness. You of course don't need to stay on site to enjoy WDW, but it sure is convenient.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To me the sticker shock on ticket prices pales in comparison to the cost to stay on site. My goodness. You of course don't need to stay on site to enjoy WDW, but it sure is convenient.

If you pay attention to prices and deals and aren't as concerned about amenities, you can stay on site rather cheaply. In 2012, I was looking to stay on site for seven nights, checking in on Labor Day. In February, the online booking system was quoting me roughly ~$95/night for the All-Star Sports resort. I filled out the form for the vacation planning DVD, and marked September as the month I was looking to visit. After the DVD came, in May Disney sent me a letter offering a limited-time deal to book a Value resort in my chosen month for $83/night, and I booked the All-Star Sports Resort almost immediately. Yes, it's a no-frills, very basic place with outside room entry, but it was sufficient for a place to lay my head at night, which is almost all I used the room for. And I used some of the money that I saved by not going with a Moderate or more expensive resort to splurge for Deluxe Dining.

So yes, you don't have to spend a lot of money to stay on-site; you just need to pay attention to when off-peak season is, be willing to stay in an All-Star Resort, and watch for special deals, and you can get a Disney resort for less than some third-party hotels. :)

• Like 3