Week XVI: Fate of Kings Island Inn

BB1

Recently the Kings Island Inn, located across from GWL, closed it's final reservation and is now set for the chopping block. Let's say you had verdict on the Inn, what would you convert it to?

• Like 1

If I had my say, I wouldn't convert it. I'd remodel it. I am seriously bummed out about the Resort's fate. A visit to Kings Island has, for several decades, meant that the Kings Island Inn/Resort may be a part of that trip. I'd like to see a revitalized resort. Please know, however, I understand there is virtually no chance of that happening.

• Like 5

Turn it into a parking lot and build a monorail going across Kings Island Dr to get to Kings Island! (Just kidding of course)

Hey, I for one would not mind for that.

To be frank, I would add in a parking-lot coaster. Make it x height and make it go over the highway, and it would not be that bad of an Invert.

• Like 3

I thought I heard that they were putting in some kind of high end apartment complex but needed to get the zoning changed. Did it not get approval or is it still in the process of getting approval? Does anyone have an update on this?

Unrelated but somewhat related BD Mongolian Grill closed on Mason-Montgomery this past week. I know some on this site liked to eat there on there trips to the Kings Island area so I thought I would share.

High end? No. Not even close.

Zoning is still in process.

High end? No. Not even close.

Zoning is still in process.

I read in this article http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/12/05/developers-planning-35m-apartment-project-at.html?page=all luxury apartments called Towne of Deerfield so I guess that how I thought high end. I am sure they will not be cheap since it sits on prime real estate across from Kings Island.

• 2 weeks later...

They might not be inexpensive, but they likely will be cheaply constructed.

I can hear the tenants complaining about the traffic and noise already.

Drove past today on my way home from Columbus today... If not mistaken, one of the barracks has been leveled already. Maybe that gap had always been there...

You did not imagine that.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Looking at the Deerfield Township Zoning map, it appears the property has been re-zoned to Multi-Family Residential:

http://deerfieldtwp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=30137b32579641da807392d251c1d23b

The latest news articles I can find date back to March of last year also state the zoning change happened but indicate that final plans need to be submitted before development proceeds:

http://www.fox19.com/story/28401803/kings-island-resort-and-conference-center-being-torn-down

Searching the development's proposed name "The towne at Deerfield" (gag) doesn't yield much interesting info aside from some more stuff from Deerfield Zoning. I'm curious if the lack of work happening at the site of this QCD  article and the 'stalled' nature of the former KI resort project are related (I know they're different developers but the projects look very similar). I'd also be interested to know how the nearby (on Kings Mills Rd.) "Mason Grand" condo-partment development is performing and if it's perhaps giving an indication of softness in the 'upscale' rental market of the area that's slowing the KI Resort site project.

• Like 2

I'm certainly not against places of worship, but the old movie theater that has been converted into a church feels like such an eyesore to me, just sitting there all by itself, still looking exactly like a theater but clearly not being one. haha

And just in case anyone was not aware, the remainder of the resort complex has indeed been leveled as of a few weeks ago.

I'm certainly not against places of worship, but the old movie theater that has been converted into a church feels like such an eyesore to me, just sitting there all by itself, still looking exactly like a theater but clearly not being one. haha

At least it looks a lot better than the former grocery store half a mile from my house that's been converted into a church. :P

• Like 4

And just in case anyone was not aware, the remainder of the resort complex has indeed been leveled as of a few weeks ago.

Minus the sign on Kings Island Drive that features the logo for Coasters restaurant.

Makes me sad every time I pass the property.

• Like 3

I'm not sure that a vacant former movie theater would be better..

I don't attend there, but they have done a remarkable job updating and seriously upgrading the facility on the inside... the outside looks good as well.

RC3_4_Project.jpg

• Like 5