Forbes: Cedar Fair Expected to Report a More Narrow Loss

Cedar Fair is expected to book a narrower loss than a year ago when it reports fourth-quarter earnings on Thursday, February 19, 2015. Analysts are expecting a loss of four cents per share, up from a loss of 14 cents per share a year ago.

For the fiscal year, analysts are projecting earnings of $2.15 per share. Revenue is projected to eclipse the year-earlier total of $139.1 million by 9%, finishing at $151.4 million for the quarter. For the year, revenue is expected to come in at $1.15 billion.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/narrativescience/2015/02/18/cedar-fair-expected-to-report-more-narrow-loss/

• Like 3

I would not be surprised, and I am actually sad that they have the loss that they do have. Especially with the Cedar Point water shut down was a major hit to the park, and the property itself. You had the works still running, and the park still sitting there, and it was shut down due to water. Plus, it was a peak time when people were going to the park, and for it to loose the water that it did, and the gifts that were given, a share in the loss of monies. Of course that is one park in a huge chain of parks, and it could have been a drip in the bucket, but it still holds testimony to why exactly this happened in one way or another. Now, on another note, I would expect that the loss margin could be narrower the upcoming season: Fury 325, along with other chain additions will bring in hard cash, possibly more than what we saw with the previous year.

Keep in mind that in the fourth quarter, the only properties that Cedar Fair has open are Knott`s Berry Farm, and Castaway Bar up in Sandusky (although I`m not certain how much traffic that property gets this time of year, as Sandusky isn`t exactly a haven for winter tourists). So the chain does not have a lot of income coming into the coffers this time of year, but they still have the full time staff to pay. Not to mention off season maintenance projects...

• Like 7

Keep in mind that in the fourth quarter, the only properties that Cedar Fair has open are Knott`s Berry Farm, and Castaway Bar up in Sandusky (although I`m not certain how much traffic that property gets this time of year, as Sandusky isn`t exactly a haven for winter tourists). So the chain does not have a lot of income coming into the coffers this time of year, but they still have the full time staff to pay. Not to mention off season maintenance projects...

Last I heard Castaway Bay isn't truly year round. (as in not actually open every day unlike Knott's where it is only closed Christmas day)

And I was correct. Castaway Bay hours are primarily weekends currently unless there is a holiday (like this passed weekend you had Valentines Day and Presidents day). They are open nearly every day in March since that is what most companies consider "spring break" and the hours go down the toilet come April when the spring break rush mostly ends until May when schools start to end the year. So yeah...Knott's is basically the only true year round property..

http://www.castawaybay.com/public/explore/calendar/index.cfm

• Like 1