B.B. Construction Update 11/16/03

Shman

Hey guys I thought I would just let you know that I drove into the park on Sunday and I notice that there is a lot of action going on out at Boomerang Bay. The first thing I notice was that the tower from the old speed slides has been covered up in a black netting of some sort, I think they are sandblasting it to get off all the old layers of paint. There were some front-end loaders in the area between the original waterpark and the first expansion area (AKA waste-of-space) so it looks like they are getting ready to get rid of some of the concrete in that area and prep for the new stuff over there. But the BIGGEST update of all is the fact that the funnel portion of the Tazmanian Typhoon is on-site and constructed!!!!!!!! It is just the steel frame working, no slide/tubing, and it is not installed where it will be constructed. But it is definatly there and it is visible from the associate drive past the waterpark, it is sitting in the newly leveled area next to wipeout beach. Let me just tell you that this thing is BIG.....I can't wait to see it go vertical....It is going to be a cool site. Well I just thought I would let you all know what is going on, looks like we will see a little bit more done sooner than we thought smile.gif

I know this is a dumb question...but I have to ask it. So with all of the new stuff going in, what are they going to take out? If PKI needed that extra half million gallons of water, does this hint at them possible keeping some of the old stuff and just relocating it?

I thought that Jeff said that there wouldn`t be any major construction until after the holidays. Also, on the BB tour on the last day, they hadn`t even poured any footers for Tasmanian Typhoon. However, I wouldn`t doubt that parts for the new rides have started to arrive with some preliminary construction.

Yeah....I heard that Jeff said that major construction wouldn't begin for a while.....but I know what I saw, and it is there. Also....even if there wasn't footers poured yet that wouldn't really play into anything. The framework is just sitting on the ground, it was not installed anywhere, and I think it is just in a staging position. I am sure that we won't see it or the slide portion go vertical for a while, especially if it starts to snow soon.

Yes, that is what i meant....the framework for the funnel has been put together on-site (constructed), however it is not in the parking lot. As I said in the original post it is in the flattened area next to wipeout beach, opposite of the wave pool. If I remeber corectly this is close to where it will be installed, so I think they are just building near by so they just have to lift into place when the time comes

I am sure that we won't see it or the slide portion go vertical for a while, especially if it starts to snow soon.

I would bet this to be correct. I am thinking that we will probably not see anything go vertical or the install of slides until spring. Winter with thawing and freezing can't be good for new slides, and especially new bolted together plastic joints. I am also thinking that they will put these in around Spring, giving them a whole season to get everything through its "break in" period and make any necessary adjustments.

Actually, Jeff Siebert said that the majority of construction will occur after the holidays. Remember that Delirium was built in January. I think that the rides will be installed in January or February and March at the latest. They won`t wait until spring to build them because the rides have to be built, tested, and inspected by the state. Also, final touches to BB can`t be completed (I assume) until the heavy construction of new attractions is complete.

True, there isn`t a lot to test. However, I am sure some of the construction, like landscaping and final pathways can`t be finished until after the heavy construction equipment used to build the rides is out of BB. Also, keep in mind that the park has stated that there might be preview weekend to BB for passholders, and maybe even enthusiats. I think I remember the survey asking about the first couple of weekends in May. I`d think February or March most of the vertical construction will occur.

I think I remember the survey asking about the first couple of weekends in May. I`d think February or March most of the vertical construction will occur.

The Waterpark doesn't open until late May. I would bet that most of the stuff gets done in March/April. It only takes concrete 30 days to cure to full strength, and they can easily pour the paths last. I don't think they will be putting in water slides in February and march when its still snowing its butt off. A little off topic, but you all might want to look at the Winter Weather Outlook for this winter. Its pretty brutal and calls for 20-30 inches of snow in 3 months. I'd say there is a good chance that construction will be delayed.

Check out the Outlook:

http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=1527511&nav=0zHGJ9fs

Oh yeah, and anyone who wants to criticize this, if you look at how this guy forecasts the weather, he is right a lot more often than the other forecasters around Cincinnati.

I think the park might have some preview weekends for BB in mid May for passholders, media and enthusiasts and such.

Wow, 20-30 inches of snow. Its been a while since we had a winter with a lot of snow. I personally like snow, with the exception of all the driving problems it creates. Everything looks so pretty with half a foot of snow on it. Does anyone remember the pictures (I think from last year) of the park covered in 6 inches of snow? Before it snows, it needs to get cold first. This Saturday is supposed to be near 65 for the high and we are in mid November!

very impressive PKI is making progress on BB, great pics pkiDelirium. no wonder my dad said the Coolangatta was covered in black mesh and the funnel is looking awesome

HUH? What? Use some punctuation. Proof read.

Anyway.. the mesh on the tower has been there for over a week. They are done stripping the paint and have already started painting/priming. If you look close enough to those pictures you can see the support poles sticking out of the corners and they are creme colored.

Edited by beastfreak

If you look close enough to those pictures you can see the support poles sticking out of the corners and they are creme colored.

I hope thats just the primer color. I would hope that they woudl repaint the tower something like bright red, so it stands out and draws your eye to it.

• 1 month later...