Bolliger & Mabillard: Innovative Crowd-Pleasers for the Masses or Intamin: Creating Today's Record Breakers and Thrill Machines

Bansheeback

Intamin produce a better ride, B&M has better reliability. The only reason Intamin has reliability issues is due to the fact the amount of force those rides produce, creating a lot of wear and tear on them. There are a lot of Intamin rides that are not accounted for when operating as far as reliability. As far as safety, I've seen countless times where oversized people being forced into the restraints on countless coasters of different manufacturers which is a An accident waiting to happen. luckily for B&M since majority of their rides do not produce alot of force no one has been ejected from their coasters. Can't say the same for Intamin even tho it's inexcusable for Intamin. Recently Cedar Fairs has addressed that safety issue on it's B&M lineup. The seatbelt system we see on Diamonback main purpose is so if you cannot fit the seatbelt system you cannot ride. This is so ride ops no longer try to squeeze you in the lap bar system like the did previously, which runs the risk of an accident. I would love to see another Intamin instillation at Kings Island, Especially a Giga Coaster. Every time I see pictures of Millenium Force or I305 I get jelly bro.

• Like 7

The seatbelt system we see on Diamonback main purpose is so if you cannot fit the seatbelt system you cannot ride. This is so ride ops no longer try to squeeze you in the lap bar system like the did previously, which runs the risk of an accident.

Incorrect. The seat belts on Diamondback are WAY longer than that. A 400-pound man could probably fit in the seat belt. The lap bar was and still is the measure of whether you fit. Anyone who can get the lap bar down the required number of clicks can get the seat belt around them with a few inches to spare.

• Like 6

Intamin produce a better ride, B&M has better reliability. The only reason Intamin has reliability issues is due to the fact the amount of force those rides produce, creating a lot of wear and tear on them. There are a lot of Intamin rides that are not accounted for when operating as far as reliability. As far as safety, I've seen countless times where oversized people being forced into the restraints on countless coasters of different manufacturers which is a An accident waiting to happen. luckily for B&M since majority of their rides do not produce alot of force no one has been ejected from their coasters. Can't say the same for Intamin even tho it's inexcusable for Intamin. Recently Cedar Fairs has addressed that safety issue on it's B&M lineup. The seatbelt system we see on Diamonback main purpose is so if you cannot fit the seatbelt system you cannot ride. This is so ride ops no longer try to squeeze you in the lap bar system like the did previously, which runs the risk of an accident. I would love to see another Intamin instillation at Kings Island, Especially a Giga Coaster. Every time I see pictures of Millenium Force or I305 I get jelly bro.

So what you are saying is you enjoy Intamin more and sort of came up with reasons/opinions that support your thought process...

So what you are saying is you enjoy Intamin more and sort of came up with reasons/opinions that support your thought process...

The OP did ask for which manufacture i'd prefer and reasons/opinions why. So here something i gotta ask you, You Mad Bro?

• Like 2

I absolutely love the reliability, smoothness, and visual appeal of B&M coasters (yes, I did just say that :P). However, when I ride a roller coaster, I am looking for a completely out-of-this-world, exhilarating experience I can't find anywhere else. Since this is entirely a matter of opinion, due to the aforementioned reasons I tend to prefer Intamin over B&M. From a park management standpoint, B&Ms obviously come across as a clearer choice since they are people eaters and are generally crowd pleasers. But there's just something about Intamin's willingness to push boundaries that I love. I love coming back into the station with my heart pounding and asking myself, "What the heck did I just ride???" which is something many Intamins and few B&Ms leave me with. Are they both great manufacturers with world class coaster? Of course! But since this is all opinion, my personal opinion is that I like Intamin better.

• Like 1

The OP did ask for which manufacture i'd prefer and reasons/opinions why. So here something i gotta ask you, You Mad Bro?

Nah couldnt care less. Just like pointing out when people confuse facts with opinions. Carry on wayward son, carry on...

Nah couldnt care less. Just like pointing out when people confuse facts with opinions. Carry on wayward son, carry on...

but could you care more, some, or not at all?

I've ridden both coasters from Intamin and B&M. Overall, most Intamin coasters I've been on provide an out-of-control experience (El Toro, I-305, Maverick)

Overall experience though? I have to go with B&M. Reliability and design? I'm going with B&M on that one too.

How many B&M coasters have had track replaced due to the extreme forces put on riders? None that I've ever heard of, unlike Intamin (Maverick and I-305)

The only coaster I've greyed out on? An Intamin

• Like 1

I voted B&M, because looking at a list of my favorite coasters, B&M made nearly all of them...

Then looking at a list of Intamin coasters, I just now realized I've only ever been on 2 of them! :o Disaster Transport and Wilderness Run when I was a kid (at the time called Jr. Gemini.)

It's not for lack of going to the parks, just bad timing and super long lines. Clearly, I have some work to do in order to have a fully formed opinion.

Also, hi! I've been lurking on this site for a couple years now and I've learned SO MUCH about coasters from you guys and just general research. Since I tend to visit it several times a week now, I figured it was time to make an account. ^_^

• Like 11

When a principal of a company during court testimony talks about acceptable levels of life safety risks, it has a tendency to cause American parks to look elsewhere for new rides and attractions.

Terp, just notin'

Wait...clearly I'm slow and have never heard this before...but, seriously? What were they thinking? I understand that in certain industries there may be acceptable levels of life safety risks. However, I can't imagine that most amusement parks would forgo their reputation and guest safety for a ride. That's a dangerous game to play, in more ways than one.

• Like 4

When a principal of a company during court testimony talks about acceptable levels of life safety risks, it has a tendency to cause American parks to look elsewhere for new rides and attractions.

Terp, just notin'

Wait...clearly I'm slow and have never heard this before...but, seriously? What were they thinking? I understand that in certain industries there may be acceptable levels of life safety risks. However, I can't imagine that most amusement parks would forgo their reputation and guest safety for a ride. That's a dangerous game to play, in more ways than one.

http://articles.courant.com/2004-05-04/news/0405040040_1_roller-coaster-lap-bars-or-seat-superman-roller

Sandor Kernacs, Intamin's U.S. president, said Monday that 800 million to 900 million people ride on Intamin rides each season.

``I believe the safety of the rides is very, very good. Up to this point we haven't found anything to indicate something wrong with any of the rides,'' he said.

``It's impossible to avoid an accident. Every accident is tragic and we should strive not to have any, but accidents do happen. The question is what is an acceptable number?'' he said.

That in the article that states from 1999-2004, 5 people were ejected from an Intamin ride....

I just tried to look up deaths/serious injuries on Intamin rides since 1991:

1991: Flight Commander at KI (fell from ride, death)

1999: 2- Ride of Steel at Darien Lake (ejection, death) and Drop Tower at Great America (fell from ride, death)

2001: Perilous Plunge, Knotts (fell from ride, death)

2004: 2- Hydro at Oakwood (fell from ride, death) and Ride of Steel at Six Flags New England (Ejection, death)

2007: Tower of Power at Kentucky Kingdom (feet cut off)

2011: Ride of Steel at Six Flags Maryland (Ejection, death)

2012: Drop Tower ride in Brazil (fell from ride, death)

2014: Inferno in Spain (fell from ride, death)

So I guess the answer is 8 deaths in 15 years is acceptable....

• Like 7

^All their rides' quality reflects on Intamin. Just because B&M is completely coaster centered doesn't mean the two companies can't be compared.

Terp, just notin'

I never heard about this. Which incident/context did this testimony occur?

• Like 2