Cedar Point 2016 Talk

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but what are the themed areas of Cedar Point called, if there are any? I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com/CP_Brochures/1991_pg_map.jpg

This map shows the extant of different areas that CP tried to have. There is a difference between Frontiertown and the Trail. Town is the old west as the trail is pioneer cabins of the east.

• Like 6

Cedar Point has midways instead of themed areas. I don't mind it though. The Gemini Midway looks fantastic at night. Maybe they fixed up the Wicked Twister Midway but Cedar Point would have promoted the crap out if it. And soon to come, The Blue Streak Midway. Cedar Point does't need theming since they have the Lake so its kind of like a giant boardwalk in a way.

• Like 2

And the family-friendly tale of a guy who wants to lazily lay in bed all day, only leaving to find someone to mate with, on the family-friendly revamped Gemini Midway!

Wait, something about that doesn't quite add up.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Cedar Point is the kind of park that developed over the course of a century (and then some) growing from a picnic park to a carousel park to a midway to a coaster park. Its setup (particularly the long midways dotted with vendors and rides) reflects that history. I think of that as a "natural" or "organic" layout that develops over a long period of time as a park grows. Often, those parks aren't very intuitive or easily navigable because they grew out as needed and under the care of many different owners. (See Cedar Point, Geauga Lake, Conneaut Lake Park, Universal Studios Hollywood, Kennywood, etc.)

In 1955, Disneyland opened with an innovative "hub and spokes" park layout with an entry land that forced all guests to the center of a wheel from which other themed lands radiated outward like the spokes on a bike tire. That was very unique and new, and one of the key elements that separated Disneyland from the parks, midways, and boardwalks that had predated it. To me, that layout is intentional, purposeful, and man-made. It's got traffic flow in mind. It's got the benefit of being developed and built all-at-once instead of responding to growth like the other kind. (See Disneyland, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios Florida, Animal Kingdom, Kings Island, etc.)

Being 50+ years old by time American parks began being built in Disneyland's image, Cedar Point maintains its midway style. Its themed areas - Frontier Trail and Frontiertown - were built between 1965 and 1972... right around the time Magic Kingdom opened. What's cool is that Cedar Point has shown an interest in at least giving personality to different areas. Gemini Midway is a great example. We'll see what else the park has in store. Valravn and a "dark forest" dark ride in Rougarou's area would build a very compelling themed area (if trees came along, too). Of course, then Millennium would be even MORE stranded than it is right now.

• Like 8

I will add that, while some of the queue music did not provide the best theming, I do miss some of it.

Not sure what Hoobastank's "The Reason" has to do with Raptor, a bird of prey..  The song was released in 2003, 9 years after the ride opened, so it's not period.  However, it does hold sentimental value as I remember listening to it while waiting with a certain girl who, for me, is The Reason.

Then there's Maverick's queue that had a lot of cool country music.  Now, I'm told to Let It Go.

• Like 6

Music is such a simple element that can make a world of difference.

Cedar Fair was bad about it. Real bad. Remember when The Crypt opened with techno music?

Eventually, it was replaced by jungle animal noises, which was a (narrow) step up.

That was about when WindSeeker opened and they seemed to suddenly realize that music licensing is simpler than other types. WindSeeker is VERY musical, and we got simple but effective music added to Delirium, Drop Zone, Invertigo... WindSeeker had Harry Potter and Star Wars scores, and The Crypt got the music from Inception, which was really great. Backlot played smooth Michael Buble songs that totally fit the "spy" aesthetic. It was just a big boost to atmosphere and style.

Seems that that, too, has fallen by the wayside. I'm not saying that Diamondback needs to play songs that reference snakes or anything, but why SHOULDN'T Banshee play atmospheric Irish music, or Diamondback play Western songs like Maverick does (er... apparently, used to <_< ).  Maybe blame FunTV? I was SHOCKED that they actually added flatscreen TVs in Boo Blasters' queue playing "Rude" by Magic. I mean, shocked. Is nothing sacred? The park existed for decades without the songs of four-years-ago playing in the queues. Is it more fun for the masses? I mean, maybe narrowly. But c'mon. When waiting for an experience like Boo Blasters or Banshee or Diamondback, at least try

Different music for different themed areas. Music creates atmosphere. Walking through Islands of Adventure, the music is on par with the physical theming. What fun is walking through Jurassic Park without its score playing? What's exotic about Lost Continent without its music? The Wizarding World's big emotional punch is the score from the films playing. At Kings Island, you get "California Gurls" from the early Ohio settlement to the Irish moors.  :rolleyes: And then there's International Street... 

• Like 19

Valravn.

Does anyone actually think Cedar Point would use that? Have you looked up what one is? It's honestly quite terrifying. I would think it is much more likely to be a name for a seasonal Halloween attraction. If not hopefully it is one of those trademarks that are never used (Stratosoar/Centurion). If Cedar Point (or any park for that matter) were to announce an attraction under this name, I'd be apalled.

• Like 2

Locals felt the same way when Cedar Point announced a new roller coaster by the name of Banshee.  They ended up changing it just before opening day to Mantis.

Fast-forward to 2013 and Cedar Fair once again announced Banshee at Kings Island.  No significant outcry.  The ride opened as announced.

Also at KI, a haunted attraction by the name of Slaughterhouse.  Really, slaughterhouse.  And people are eating up this theming.

Might they decide to back away from Valravn?  Sure.  But is there precedent for using names that traditionally would have been too controversial previously?  Yep.

• Like 3

I only added the definition rather than add a new post. Doesn't sound like an urban legend. Sounds like the PR explanation, however invalid.

I personally don't view PR stories, however invalid, as urban legends.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

18988_1061508240578477_14492325549365596

Courtesy of GOCC / Jesse Rose

Cedar Point seems to be building a little timeline of its current roller coasters.  What might go at the end of this list?  Well, as the sign says, CP is the Roller Coaster Capital of the World.  They don't always go for tallest or fastest, but they have a lot of variety that complements the beautiful beaches and lake (when it's not green).  Might this be a hint that a new type will be added to their collection?

Of course, it could be another Centurion-style red herring, but I don't find that likely.

For those who don't know, this fence was put up around the former Good Time Theater / Dodgem site.

• Like 9

Visited Cedar Point from 5-20 through 5-22.  We like to park around back at the Soak City lot so we can enter the park near Magnum.  On the 20th we got to the park around 4:30 and found it erie-ly quiet.  As we drove back to the Soak City lot, we saw several Ohio Edison utility trucks parked along the access road.  The Gemini Midway looked like a Zombieland as that entire area of the park had lost power which meant no music.  People looked lost.  The only 3 coasters running were Gatekeeper, Raptor, and Top Thrill Dragster.  We got 2 TTD rides in 30 minutes.  That ride still makes me nervous.

I can only speculate but it appears that Millenium Force got new train(s).  On the the 21st while in the station preparing to ride, the ride ops activated the switch track to load the yellow train into service.  The yellow train ran all day EMPTY.  Then around 7:30 in the evening did they finally start loading riders.  They claim 100 cycles were required to certify it safe.  That made the queue slower running 3 trains and only loading 2.  Some on the Intamin ID tags that I remember seeing were not on these trains.

I think Cedar Point made too much Rougarou memorabilia.  The ride is certainly better being floorless than a stand up but the restraints are still painful.  The line was longer but I am not sure it will get the increase in numbers that they are hoping for.  At least more people would agree to ride it if other lines are too long to wait.

• Like 4