Cedar Point 2016 Talk

• 2 weeks later...

About whether Rougarou or Mantis will appear on the timeline.

I have predictions about what'll follow Rougarou too, but neither strong nor informed. I feel mostly confident that it won't be a garden-to-table garden. 

• Like 5

I believe it's pretty clear at this point that it's only a timeline of all roller coasters currently in the park.  The Roller Coaster Capital of the World is building out a timeline of its current lineup while highlighting what makes each of these machines, "these monuments of modern engineering", unique.

The logical conclusion, then, would be that the next installation will be unique, something different.  Maybe something that takes existing ride concepts out there to a new level.

I'm still waiting for an LSM-launched flyer but I don't see that happening here.  Not yet, anyway.

• Like 3

From a flyover via the skyride, that cleared and fenced off area is nowhere NEAR large enough to accommodate anything resembling a dive coaster that would suit the likes of a park such as Cedar Point.  It would, however, be large enough to accommodate a compact coaster... possibly one relocated from another venue....or the dark ride that I feel will be there.

• Like 4

From a flyover via the skyride, that cleared and fenced off area is nowhere NEAR large enough to accommodate anything resembling a dive coaster that would suit the likes of a park such as Cedar Point. It would, however, be large enough to accommodate a compact coaster... possibly one relocated from another venue....or the dark ride that I feel will be there.

Well, we'll see! CP often pulls off miracles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

From a flyover via the skyride, that cleared and fenced off area is nowhere NEAR large enough to accommodate anything resembling a dive coaster that would suit the likes of a park such as Cedar Point.  It would, however, be large enough to accommodate a compact coaster... possibly one relocated from another venue....or the dark ride that I feel will be there.

I wonder if they have plans to remove Iron Dragon (if the new ride is in fact a coaster).... hmm.

*note - I am not the person to approve of removing rides just to remove them, however that ride is, and always has been, sorta dull and boring to me. 

• Like 2

Just curious, but other than the brake and drop on dive machines, what is any good about that style of coaster? Looks highly unimpressive to me. The reason I bring it up is there are a lot of  CP fanboys who seem to think that will be their next installment.

To me, it looks like a one trick pony and CP already has one of those...TTD.

• Like 2

I'd be heartbroken if they got rid of Iron Dragon. Maybe it's not new and shiny and unique but it IS still fun and it has a beautiful location over the water. Plus it's a good coaster for families with kids who can't go on some of the bigger rides yet. The more coasters at CP, the better. Keeps lines just a bit shorter. It's also not like Mean Streak where you can walk on and ride with a mostly empty train, it still has a pretty good amount of people who enjoy it. It's had about a 20-30 minute line each time I've been there. (Though, admittedly, I've only been once (2013) since I moved to Texas.)

Dive Coasters are fun. I find them WAY more fun than something like Invertigo, and almost as much fun as Diamondback. The way you can sit on the side of the train with no track beneath you is really cool. Every person likes something different. A lot of people think Dive Coasters are boring. But plenty of people love them so it would be a good investment.

They still could do something completely different though. It would be neat to see something completely unique that hasn't been done before. I'm excited to find out what they have planned.

• Like 12

Just curious, but other than the brake and drop on dive machines, what is any good about that style of coaster? Looks highly unimpressive to me. The reason I bring it up is there are a lot of  CP fanboys who seem to think that will be their next installment.

Dive Machines are AWE-FULL. AS IN, FULL OF AWE.

Honestly, they're unbelievable. Griffon's launch spiel says "Enjoy the power and speed of the mythical griffin." And it seriously is SO powerful. The raw speed draws tears from your eyes. The trains are enormous. 10 across, so wider than a Wing Coaster. They're just incredibly graceful - huge massive sweeping turns and giant inversions that roll you through the sky. Their size can't be captured in photos because the track is twice as wide as a traditional coaster track. Maybe compare it to our Crypt where you can feel the size.

It's just larger than life. Absolutely outstanding. VERY different from a Wing Coaster. VERY different from Top Thrill. VERY different from a hyper coaster.

• Like 8

I still don't get the whole TTD one trick pony thing.  Sure its short, but it pulls off 2 pretty big tricks.  

I'm torn between this being a dive coaster and a flying coaster.  While it would be cool to see a dive coaster in the area, I've heard the rumor of a flying coaster coming to CP for quite a while (however true it is or not).  However, given the area this is supposedly in, a dive coaster makes sense given it can be made much more compact than what you'd want out of a flying coaster.  

• Like 3

Well I was going to say that B&M Flyers tend to lower capacity like the Vekoma coasters but RCDB seems to contradict that. However I will offer this thought as to why I thought that. Superman at SFOG had the longest line of day I went in 2006. Longer and slower moving than Goliath. I always figured this was the reason Paramount and Cedar Fair stayed away from them. However Superman blows Vekoma flyers out the water.

• Like 1

I don't see a flying coaster hitting the point. That'd be impressive but I haven't seen much hype or desire for one over the past few years as I have a Dive. Plus in terms of thrills, it delivers more personally. The area in question is small considering. However, there is quite a bit of room over just on the right side of the road. The land in front of Cedars was recently torn up, so I'm still speculating if that area is going to finally be removed. That place is so old and rickety. I'm surprised Golds went away first honestly.

pGEWmOk.png

LHBO5fk.png

Szqr7It.png

eW7X2Rk.png

• Like 4

^I agree with those points, but they could also make a flying coaster go out over the midway or something, give it some midway interactive elements to it as well (see Manta).  Also, some parks have built interesting things into small places.  See Hersheypark and Knott's.  

• Like 6

From a flyover via the skyride, that cleared and fenced off area is nowhere NEAR large enough to accommodate anything resembling a dive coaster that would suit the likes of a park such as Cedar Point. It would, however, be large enough to accommodate a compact coaster... possibly one relocated from another venue....or the dark ride that I feel will be there.

I wonder if they have plans to remove Iron Dragon (if the new ride is in fact a coaster).... hmm.

*note - I am not the person to approve of removing rides just to remove them, however that ride is, and always has been, sorta dull and boring to me.

The fact that Iron Dragon is tame and unexciting to you is exactly why it should stick around. Many a future coaster fan is made or broken by a tame first ride. The idea is to build up to more intense thrills rather than throwing a kid directly onto Top Thrill Dragster or Millennium Force.

Just curious, but other than the brake and drop on dive machines, what is any good about that style of coaster? Looks highly unimpressive to me. The reason I bring it up is there are a lot of CP fanboys who seem to think that will be their next installment.

The only reason that "there are a lot of CP fanboys" promoting the idea of a dive coaster is that Sandusky Register claims to have come across a memo between Cedar Point/Cedar Fair and B&M. They've never provided any evidence of this (that I'm aware of). Further, it sounds more like a response to an RFP (request for proposal) than a particular concept the park was interested in. B&M could've even sent an RFP response for a flying coaster as well; we know not.

Bottom line: it wasn't "CP fanboys" who came up with the idea. It was Sandusky Register, what many view as a less-than-reliable news source.

Well I was going to say that B&M Flyers tend to lower capacity like the Vekoma coasters but RCDB seems to contradict that. However I will offer this thought as to why I thought that. Superman at SFOG had the longest line of day I went in 2006. Longer and slower moving than Goliath. I always figured this was the reason Paramount and Cedar Fair stayed away from them. However Superman blows Vekoma flyers out the water.

Hmm, I wouldn't judge a ride's capacity based on one park. Tatsu, for instance, has a theoretical capacity of 1600 rph vs. Millennium Force's 1300 rph and Banshee's 1650 rph. Firehawk is rated at 1,430 rph but is in reality much worse than that. Probably closer to Nighthawk's rating of 1000 rph.

• Like 4

^Hence why RCDB contradicts my belief. I looked up the capacity numbers first and i was shocked to see how high they are. Does KI use both Firehawk stations, I read somewhere that they only use one. SFOG was only using one station when I went so I assume that knocks the capacity down whereas the other B&M flyers don't have the same station design.

• Like 1