Cedar Point 2016 Talk

The brown/grey will look great up against Raptor, but I can't see it being named Valravn anymore. Unless they do purple supports. That would be an awesome color scheme! It's also nice that they went with the two-tone track with the second color on the bottom of the spine like Fury.

• Like 1

So in order to be a coaster, it needs to actually "coast" without needing power through parts of the ride?

Makes sense.

According to the English term for the contraption, "roll-er coast-er," sure.

In many other languages, the name translates to Russian mountain. Does a Russian mountain need to "coast?"

The whole thing is murky.

If "coasting" via gravity is the official requirement, why is Devil's Den not considered a roller coaster? Just because it doesn't look or act like a traditional roller coaster?

Why does Thunder Run count despite being called a "powered coaster?" Just because it looks more like a traditional roller coaster than Devil's Den?

Even by that strict definition, you'd have a lot of convincing to do to make me believe that gravity doesn't power Surf Dog at all for any portion of the ride's course. Even the downhill portions are powered in such a way to overcome gravity? Hmm. 

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter anyway. But it's an interesting arbitrary classification that no one seems to be able to perfectly define when things get complex.

• Like 6

Haven't there been a few instances of Surf Dog valleying on the non-loading side of the ride this season? How would that be possible if it is powered up every hill? Perhaps it isn't powered nearly as much as we think it is. Perhaps it is only powered for a few brief moments at each change of direction, and coasts otherwise. Perhaps it is... a roller coaster?

jcgoble3, carefully considering a change of personal opinion about this issue

• Like 4

I've become curious about something, does Viking Fury use gravity?

AFAIK, yes. Next time you are at the front of a row queue, watch underneath the boat's "home" position. There are a series of tires that spin one way to drive the boat up, then quickly reverse direction to throw the boat in the opposite direction when it comes back down. AFAIK the boat is freely swinging with nothing to power it or brake it but those tires (though I could be wrong on that).

• Like 1

Haven't there been a few instances of Surf Dog valleying on the non-loading side of the ride this season? How would that be possible if it is powered up every hill? Perhaps it isn't powered nearly as much as we think it is. Perhaps it is only powered for a few brief moments at each change of direction, and coasts otherwise. Perhaps it is... a roller coaster?

The one time I saw that happen, that's where the ride computer stopped the ride. It went up a little too high on the load side for some reason, then there was a brief "screech" sound as the brakes were applied. At that point the ride panel started beeping as the "Alarm Silence" button flashed, the ride slowed and stopped in the valley on the far side. It's probably a safety feature because it's easier to get people off if needed when it's low like that.

• Like 3

The one time I saw that happen, that's where the ride computer stopped the ride. It went up a little too high on the load side for some reason, then there was a brief "screech" sound as the brakes were applied. At that point the ride panel started beeping as the "Alarm Silence" button flashed, the ride slowed and stopped in the valley on the far side. It's probably a safety feature because it's easier to get people off if needed when it's low like that.

Okay, that's one instance. But I vaguely recall someone (possibly ohiocolts?) saying somewhere (possibly Facebook?) that in another instance it simply ran out of steam, couldn't make it over the center hump, and valleyed like a normal roller coaster would. I don't know if that was actually said by someone, though, or if my faulty memory is making things up again.

• Like 1

If a powered ride abruptly because an unpowered ride, it will valley.

If a launch hill (e.g. LSM launch/"lift" hill on Maverick) abruptly stops the launch, a train will roll back.

In both examples, a ride vehicle is normally moved via continuously applied motors.  In both examples, it is possible for said motors to abruptly stop providing forward motion to the ride vehicle, causing it to roll back or valley.

Powered ride != ride that's incapable of valleying

• Like 3