Cedar Point 2016 Talk

A great new B&M dive coaster looms on the horizon. I personally can't wait to ride it. It sets sail under a rain of negativity. A storm brought by many I perceive, that may only be following others perceptions.

There are a total of 2 B&M dive machines operating in the U.S.  Yet the number of negative comments would lead one to believe almost everyone has ridden one, and that they suck. 

I have rode 1, of the 2, that exist in this country, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Great post.  I think what many are seeing when we see comments like "it's OK", "I'm underwhelmed", or "I wish they would have pushed the envelope" are comments that are coming from a very vocal minority.  That minority is only impressed when a coaster announcement is: 

• a new RMC
  • a new Intamin
  • anything other than a B&M

There's a reason that Cedar Fair continues to order from B&M.  The park representatives I've had a chance to talk to all LOVE B&M coasters.  Park maintenance personnel LOVE B&M coasters.  The general public LOVE B&M coasters, and Valravn is going to be no different.  Parks know exactly what they're getting when they order a B&M coaster - a reliable, high-capacity ride that the public will like.  That "we know what we're getting with a B&M coaster" mentality frustrates certain enthusiasts to no end.  This is exactly the reason why parks don't listen to the vocal minority - and rightly so - because some folks are just not in tune with reality.    

• Like 10

I'm guessing a large % of those attending Cedar Point next season will have no idea that any other B&M dive coaster exists, let alone who B&M is.  I suppose the roller coaster world is smaller today than ever with youtube POVs available for just about every major ride in the country, however, the average guest will just be happy that a new, shiny ride will most likely be open when they attend next season, reliability is a great thing to have when you travel 250+ miles for your 1 trip a season to an amusement park.

• Like 15

This is going to be a great addition, but I haven't gotten the chance to visit Kings Island yet. The only experience I've had with vest restraints is Gatekeeper. How are Banshee's restraints in comparison?

Same restraints. Note that if you had the problems with tightening vests on Gatekeeper opening year, those problems have been fixed, and Banshee received the fixed restraints to begin with.

• Like 4

This is going to be a great addition, but I haven't gotten the chance to visit Kings Island yet. The only experience I've had with vest restraints is Gatekeeper. How are Banshee's restraints in comparison?

Same restraints. Note that if you had the problems with tightening vests on Gatekeeper opening year, those problems have been fixed, and Banshee received the fixed restraints to begin with.

Oh....... I actually visited CP this summer. My problem with the restraints isn't that they tighten (which has obviously been fixed), it's that there's not that much breathing room to begin with.
  • Like 3

My first thought: "I would like to buy a vowel please."

I am excited to have the Blue Streak area opened up more. Not having a dead end there, as well as investing in the area, will make it much more enjoyable than ever before in my lifetime. The crowds will flow much more smoothly.

I'm interested to ride Valravn. I have never been on a dive coaster before, so chalk it up as a new experience for me. It doesn't look like it will blow me out of the water, but just thinking about hanging there waiting to drop on a ride nearly as tall as Diamondback is enough to get me on it, and we'll see what happens from there!

Solid addition for Cedar Point. The public will enjoy it, and the park will enjoy a stable, consistent ride. 

I'm not sure what this says about me at this point, but I enjoyed playing with the Panoramic POV almost as much as the announcement itself.

• Like 12

A great new B&M dive coaster looms on the horizon. I personally can't wait to ride it. It sets sail under a rain of negativity. A storm brought by many I perceive, that may only be following others perceptions.

There are a total of 2 B&M dive machines operating in the U.S.  Yet the number of negative comments would lead one to believe almost everyone has ridden one, and that they suck. 

I have rode 1, of the 2, that exist in this country, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Great post.  I think what many are seeing when we see comments like "it's OK", "I'm underwhelmed", or "I wish they would have pushed the envelope" are comments that are coming from a very vocal minority.  That minority is only impressed when a coaster announcement is: 

• a new RMC
  • a new Intamin
  • anything other than a B&M

There's a reason that Cedar Fair continues to order from B&M.  The park representatives I've had a chance to talk to all LOVE B&M coasters.  Park maintenance personnel LOVE B&M coasters.  The general public LOVE B&M coasters, and Valravn is going to be no different.  Parks know exactly what they're getting when they order a B&M coaster - a reliable, high-capacity ride that the public will like.  That "we know what we're getting with a B&M coaster" mentality frustrates certain enthusiasts to no end.  This is exactly the reason why parks don't listen to the vocal minority - and rightly so - because some folks are just not in tune with reality.    

I disagree. I'm a big fan of B&Ms. There are very few that I've rode that I don't like. If I owned a park, and had to buy a coaster and had to factor everything in, it would be a B&M. But this ride is very meh to me. I can't get past the fact it is Drop, Immelman, Midcourse Brake. For the plot of land they used, maybe thats all they really had the room to do. I'll still ride it given the opportunity, and probably will enjoy it, but I'd be shocked if I want to ride it more than once in a visit. 

But as far as Cedar Point and management goes, if they really want to know what the GP wants(ie the vocal majority), they'd look at their three most popular rides. Dragster, MF, and Maverick. But we don't want to mix reality into a good elitist argument...

• Like 7

"fixed"

Count one.

Looking at the layout the ride does seem to be rather simple, short or maybe under whelming.  As stated above "Drop, Immleman, Midcourse Break".  However having ridden Sheikra several times I can tell you that the experience is much different.  

The first half of Sheikra is very similar to Valraven.  Drop, Immelman, Midcourse Break.  The first time I rode Sheikra I expected to be underwhelmed and thought the ride would be too short.  After actually riding it I felt very different.  I was completely satisfied with the ride length and experience.  Also the holding break at the top of the lift is absolutely terrifying.  It was like taking the best drop ride you have ever ridden and then throwing a coaster on the end of it.

As good as the animations and POVs have become they will NEVER substitute for actually riding the ride.  I think this will be a great addition to the Point.  They have an un-matched variety of coasters.  This is one more notch in their belt and I say keep em coming!

• Like 9

"fixed"

Count one.

I don't understand this post. Explain, please?

Probably not going to happen as everyone can see the ride operate before they get on.. unless they are the very very first ones.. which probably means they've cared enough to have looked at the animation video.

Everyone can see Backlot Stunt Coaster stop, too. Yet, at least one mother has shouted, "OMG! It stopped! My kid is stuck on that!"

• Like 6

Even though Valravn is only 200 something feet, There is 0 drag at the top of the hill like most coasters  have when the back of the train is still on the chain. This is why I think most Dive Coasters have a very fun and forceful hill even though they aren't incredibly tall. 200 feet doesn't sound super high, but you race down that hill!

• Like 3

I disagree. I'm a big fan of B&Ms. There are very few that I've rode that I don't like. If I owned a park, and had to buy a coaster and had to factor everything in, it would be a B&M. But this ride is very meh to me. I can't get past the fact it is Drop, Immelman, Midcourse Brake. For the plot of land they used, maybe thats all they really had the room to do. I'll still ride it given the opportunity, and probably will enjoy it, but I'd be shocked if I want to ride it more than once in a visit. 

But as far as Cedar Point and management goes, if they really want to know what the GP wants(ie the vocal majority), they'd look at their three most popular rides. Dragster, MF, and Maverick. But we don't want to mix reality into a good elitist argument...

Can't judge it solely based on the layout, the experience can be very different. Even using one of your examples with Dragster, that ride just goes right up then back down and that is all. Valravn is doing much more and a much longer experience. But despite the limited layout and lack of any elements to the ride besides one single hill it is still one of the most popular rides. A similar case could be made for boomerang coasters like Invertigo. They are pretty simple and very short layouts but are fun and well liked.

• Like 6