Cedar Point 2016 Talk

Flubbed from start to finish. The viral marketing campaign promising feuding hillbillies, White Lightning, moonshine, distilleries...

The end result... the slowest, most meandering, useless flume I've ever encountered. Not a single animation, robotic figure, special effect. Not a single story element. An absolute let down. The accident that occurred on it is horrifying and horrible and scarring. If there's any silver lining in such a terrible event, it's that without that accident, the ride probably would've just plodded along for decades as a waste of space and resources. 

• Like 7

I was considering trying it last year. I didn't feel like getting soaked and skipped it. I also skipped Thunder Canyon and Snake River Falls for the same reason. I don't mind getting soaked on a water ride if I am going to a waterpark before or after the rides (like at Dorney Park, Thunder Canyon and White Water Landing are right next to the Wildwater Kingdom and you can wear bathing suits and don't have to wear shoes). It would have been nice if they still had a traditional log flume that gets you cooled off but not drenched, like Race For Your Life Charlie Brown.

• Like 4

I was considering trying it last year. I didn't feel like getting soaked and skipped it. I also skipped Thunder Canyon and Snake River Falls for the same reason. I don't mind getting soaked on a water ride if I am going to a waterpark before or after the rides (like at Dorney Park, Thunder Canyon and White Water Landing are right next to the Wildwater Kingdom and you can wear bathing suits and don't have to wear shoes). It would have been nice if they still had a traditional log flume that gets you cooled off but not drenched, like Race For Your Life Charlie Brown.

Last time I was at Cedar Point, the water rides allowed you to ride without shirt or shoes. The midway to each side of the group of water rides had signs posted saying "shirt and shoes required past this point"—meaning that you could walk around in a swimsuit within that immediate area surrounding the water rides, but no further.

As for what I want to replace Shoot the Rapids, I'd like to see a "normal" log flume like Kings Island's take its place. :) (EDIT: I just realized that this is basically what you said. :D)

• Like 5

My second problem with STR aside from it just being a pretty bad ride is that, at least in my mind, a flume is supposed to get you the LEAST wet of the three big water rides (flume, splashdown, and rapids). The flume is for if you just want a misting and to cool down a bit.

After meandering aimlessly along quiet canals, STR puts you down a drop and INTO literal high pressure nozzles spraying directly at your face from both sides. It wasn't "fun" in the sense of like, "Oh no! I might get wet!" You will get DRENCHED as if you rode the rapids and passed right under a waterfall. High pressure hoses aimed directly at you. Sort of takes the fun out of it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 11

I do think taking out Shoot The Rapids would be a family ride missing, everyone can ride it in my family, they were kind of sad to see it go, I am not that sad to see it go, as I knew this would be coming soon, it was just only a matter of time, maybe you can create an extension to frontier town back there, you already have the railroad Crossing to get over to that area!

• Like 1

Seriously Intamin, how do you screw up a log flume?

LOL

I echo the sentiments of others. I never really did understand why a park would put in a flume ride with basically no theming and terrible pacing that gets you soaked. I rode it once but all it did was keep me wondering why they didn't do more with it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

They haven't made an announcement but Winter Chill Out is coming up Saturday where they may or may not announce the removal and what's next for that spot. I'm sure they want to keep some sort of secrecy as long as they can. The removal off the website would likely pan into enthusiasts ruining the surprise more than it already is (if that makes sense).

• Like 4

Keep in mind that CP has not officially announced anything regarding StR at this point. It would be weird for them to remove it from their website while continuing to remain silent on the status of the ride otherwise.

Also, as far as the Dorney Park link goes: that's the mobile site (which is likely completely separate from the main site) and I can't even find a link to that in any of the rides categories on said mobile site.

• Like 2