Cedar Point 2016 Talk

With Shoot-The-Rapids now gone, some are wondering what will happen with the space opened up in that area. Well, a No Limits 2 user and Youtuber named OpticalKiwi (who previously made a RMC Mean Streak and predicted Fury 325 and Banshee fairly accurately based on the leaked blueprints of them) made a GCI Wooden Coaster called "Badlands" in that area in No Limits 2...

Well, looks like it could be possible to build a GCI where Shoot-The-Rapids was...only question is now, will this actually happen or does Cedar Fair have something else in mind? Only time will tell. This is a cool concept IMO though thus why I wanted to share it.

• Like 3

^
To be honest, even if Cedar Point is actually replacing Shoot-the-Rapids with a GCI, I don't think it will happen THAT quick. 2018-19 at the earliest. Valravn hasn't even opened yet, and they will probably want to let the huge new B&M have at least a few years as the "big new thing". Also most videos like this add a year for some reason when doing "hypothetical concept rides" in areas where new rides can be added. I'm not sure why they do it as once that year passes, it looks a bit odd when the park actually does something else...for example see the "Kings Island 2014 Giga Coaster" concepts.

While I know neither was "cheap", changing the restraints on Maverick, and converting Mantis to Rougarou is in a totally different financial league than building two multi million dollar complete roller coasters in back to back years.  I saw this NL2 YouTube creation last week, and left it there where it belongs for a reason, because the title is not only misleading but also totally unrealistic.  Its a REALLY good creation, but as McSalsa said, dont see anything like this happening until 2018 at the very earliest.

EDIT:  My reasoning is based on more than dollars and cents, it is also based on the article posted on these forums in recent days, that spoke of what the CF Marketing Team has been doing in regards to focusing on ALL of the parks.  This is no longer "Kinzel Fair", where the lion's share of CapEx was most often focused on his Crown Jewel, in my very honest opinion I dont think people should expect another new coater installation at the Point until 2019/20.  Granted, my little selfish desires would Love to see what Ive wanted to see since 2014.... a revision/conversion of Mean Streak.... but thinking about it using the current CF business model I have virtually abandoned that entire concept.

Is it possible CP is looking to overtake Six Flags Magic Mountain in coaster count? Or the other possibility that with CP's close proximity, CF's relationship with B&M, and the fact that Dive Coasters are not very popular in the U.S. That they got a great deal for the coaster and decided to go ahead and build another coaster, 3 years after spending roughly 30 million on Gatekeeper and main entrance upgrades?

Is it possible CP is looking to overtake Six Flags Magic Mountain in coaster count? Or the other possibility that with CP's close proximity, CF's relationship with B&M, and the fact that Dive Coasters are not very popular in the U.S. That they got a great deal for the coaster and decided to go ahead and build another coaster, 3 years after spending roughly 30 million on Gatekeeper and main entrance upgrades?

B&M didnt give them a deal. The ride costed a little more than $15 million dollars that was leaked lol. It was probably around 20 million
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Supposedly there are survey markers around Mean Streak already. We didn't get any markers for valravn until june/july if I recall. RMC always starts early on their projects and Id imagine Cedar Point would start super early so they don't miss opening weekend like some other parks. I'm not saying its confirmed but it is super early and the markers are everywhere apparently. I will be there on Sunday with a dslr.

• Like 1