Cedar Point 2016 Talk

I personally found ShieKra boring.

Given that, I'm not really excited for Valravn.

EDIT: On the other hand, this seems exciting, if a bit expensive: https://www.cedarpoint.com/plan-a-visit/sunrise-thrills-vip-tour

EDIT 2: I gave the tour its own thread: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/31996-cedar-point-sunrise-thrills-tour/

Think I may go up and give Valravn a spin Sunday.

I think I may have a problem, drive four hours just to ride a coaster......

Hoeter and I are doing that this weekend.

Bigger doesn't mean better.

I would normally agree but they look like the same thing only a couple stories taller and a couple hundred feet longer.

Compare TTD and Kingda Ka.....only a few feet taller and a few hundred feet longer.....they look like the same thing minus Kingda Ka's airtime hill.....Kingda Ka is bigger and definitely not better. 

The thing that drives me crazy is that people claim it to be boring and not amazing yet they haven't ridden it.

• Like 9

Bigger doesn't mean better.

I agree regarding coasters like Maverick, but come on. This thing's main selling point is a giant straight down drop. I'm not saying they should have made it bigger (I think they should have made something else entirely, but that's not for this thread) but you can't just throw that "Bigger isn't always better" tagline out there when that is comparing apples and oranges.

• Like 1

Have to agree TTD. In general bigger doesn't always equal better, but when the main feature/marketing point of the attraction's design is a vertical drop (along with a hold peering down it at the top), a higher drop would enhance that part of the experience.

• Like 1

I thought Valravn was awesome. I rode in the middle of the back row and the ride experience exceeded my expectations. I thought the vertical drop was very intense, and it felt like it lasted forever. The entire ride was also incredibly smooth; in fact, it might be the smoothest coaster at the park. The drop after the MCBR was also very fun, and the final inversion reminded me a lot of Banshee's inline twist, which I absolutely love. Even though I have no other dive coasters to compare it to, I think this coaster is a winner. Plus it makes such a bold impression visually when watching the ride and walking around it.

• Like 7

I personally found ShieKra boring.

I rode Sheikra last year for the first time, and I understand.  

If I ride it as a thrill coaster, I'm not as impressed as most of the forces are on the gentle side and the actual coasting time seems brief.

If I ride it as some kind of Frankencoaster / Demon Drop contraption with bonus track, I find it way more exciting.

The holding brake and mid course brake (just before the second drop) were a hoot, and there was a kind of camaraderie amongst the riders as we hung and screamed together.

It also helped that my 10 year old son was nuts for Sheikra.  My opinion of a coaster soars if my riding buddies are loving it.

• Like 5

When I get up to The Point (hopefully this summer...), Valravn will be my first dive coaster as well. I'm also intrigued to ride Rougarou and Wicked Twister in row 12 (to compare it to Possessed in the same row) and of course, Millennium Force and the best coaster in the wild wild west- Maverick!

• Like 5

I was very underwhelmed by it but I do like how beautiful it looks. It was a good addition but I would have prefered a much cheaper GCI twister woodie. Even a clone of Gold Striker would be great.

EDIT: Valravn has my all time favorite brake run though. Its so fast, it may be my favorite part of the ride honestly XD

When I get up to The Point (hopefully this summer...), Valravn will be my first dive coaster as well. I'm also intrigued to ride Rougarou and Wicked Twister in row 12 (to compare it to Possessed in the same row) and of course, Millennium Force and the best coaster in the wild wild west- Maverick!

Gotta love Cowboy Coaster! :P

(Ride On_17, cross threadin')

• Like 4

My first dive coaster will be Griffon, and will be my first visit back to BGW and KD since the 80's.  Have lots of catching up to do.  CP in June/July.  Does Griffon have the shoulder restraints similar to Valravn or are they the older painful kind like Raptor.  Thinking out loud, since Valravn is 8 wide and the newer restraints have slightly wider space requirements, and Griffon is 10 wide, I am guessing they are the older style.

....off to look for pictures...

• Like 3

My first dive coaster will be Griffon, and will be my first visit back to BGW and KD since the 80's.  Have lots of catching up to do.  CP in June/July.  Does Griffon have the shoulder restraints similar to Valravn or are they the older painful kind like Raptor.  Thinking out loud, since Valravn is 8 wide and the newer restraints have slightly wider space requirements, and Griffon is 10 wide, I am guessing they are the older style.

....off to look for pictures...

It is super smooth though.

• Like 1