Cedar Point 2016 Talk

Cedar Point will be CLOSED tomorrow, Monday, June 6.

From cedarpoint.com:

Cedar Point and Soak City Closed Monday, June 6

As a result of the severe wind damage to power lines and poles on the Cedar Point Causeway, and the lack of adequate power to operate rides at full capacity, Cedar Point and Soak City will not open on Monday, June 6. Crews from Ohio Edison are working diligently to repair Causeway power lines as quickly as possible. We anticipate we will reopen on Tuesday, June 7.

• Like 3

I always thought it would be cool to live in one of the houses on Cedar Point Road. Sure, it would be expensive, but you could just walk to the park.

Then I loaded up Google Street View and saw a fence at the end of the road blocking any possible legal walking to the park.

• Like 3

Park visitors have been known to be cited for trespassing when they use that road. It's happened more than once. The road is private, its maintenance cost is borne by the abutting landowners. It is not a public road.

Wow. I didn't know this.

I never go in that way, but I do when I leave, I love to drive through those beautiful willows with water on each side. I find it enchanting.

Guess I need to stop doing that.

• Like 3

I remember a very busy night two years ago, the park was directing people down Cedar Point Rd.  I left at closing time and the park had employees who were directing part of the traffic down the side road.  I know the causeway was open and the majority of the cars were leaving in that direction.  It is the only time I have ever driven down the road.  It was a very busy Saturday night during Haunt but I thought it was really strange at the time.

• Like 1

Park visitors have been known to be cited for trespassing when they use that road. It's happened more than once. The road is private, its maintenance cost is borne by the abutting landowners. It is not a public road.

Wow. I didn't know this.

I never go in that way, but I do when I leave, I love to drive through those beautiful willows with water on each side. I find it enchanting.

Guess I need to stop doing that.

Terp: cited for merely traversing the road? Absent a sign advising that it's a private drive, or having previously been warned not to enter, that would seem bizarre.

Now, if they were trying to access the waterfront from there, parking there, littering there, or generally being a nuisance there...

• Like 4

There IS a sign advising the road is a private road.

I've never paid attention to the signs, so I looked up the road on Google Images this came up:

CP+sign.jpg

Found Here

I dislike that the sign stating what road it is is bigger than the "private property, speed limit 35, enforceable by....."

Having a sign that big could be misleading on the fact it's advertising the road and not passable for big vehicles and the fact that the smaller private property sign could be hidden behind it depending on your vantage point.

In the case of that sign, "private property" seems to refer specifically to the enforceability of the speed limit. If certain conditions are met, police in Ohio can cite drivers for violating a privately posted speed limit on private property. If the private property owner(s) wanted to prohibit non-resident traffic (in general, or to Cedar Point), it would be easy enough to post a sign to that effect.

I have to wonder what those who were cited were doing to get pulled over. It would be hard to tell whether a particular car was using the road as a through route to Cedar Point until it reached the park.

A related story: last year, I followed a car ~20 miles on OH-4 all the way to Cedar Point. The occupants of the car repeatedly tossed trash out the windows & sunroof over that entire distance - to & through Sandusky and the causeway. I called Cedar Point Police with the license plate number as soon as it was evident that they were headed to the park, but I don't think they were caught.

• Like 6

I heard about the CP power outage last night, but that picture is crazy! Glad everyone's OK and there were no injuries

On a lighter note, at first glance, Chugh's picture of that fence in the former STR area looked like a paved parking lot (I didn't even notice the fence until I saw it in another picture and went back up to look) :P 

• Like 1

A related story: last year, I followed a car ~20 miles on OH-4 all the way to Cedar Point. The occupants of the car repeatedly tossed trash out the windows & sunroof over that entire distance - to & through Sandusky and the causeway. I called Cedar Point Police with the license plate number as soon as it was evident that they were headed to the park, but I don't think they were caught.

Of COURSE they were going to the park.  Another fine example of our fellow park goers.

Opening weekend Sunday I had the pleasant experience of witnessing some idiot smoking dope in the men's restroom by the arcade.  

• Like 1

Isn't that the same thing that happened to Son of Beast when they was building it, too?

Funny, I heard it was improper usage of was/were.

Ahh, I never claimed to be no English major.

Thanks for the correction, though.

• Like 2

According to a poster on PointBuzz (again, take with a grain of salt), people on the Mean Streak crew have been told that they will get a different position after July. So some form of extended refurbishment seems likely.

I wouldn't take much from Screamscape. RMC I-Box was the rumor spread amongst CoasterMania attendees by park employees who admitted that they didn't really know. Rumors, true or not, have a way of becoming Screamscape "news".

During the CoasterMania Q&A session, it was said that Matt Ouimet's remarked "best ride ever" after riding the new GhostRider. So add a coin to that bucket, perhaps.

• Like 5

Rode Maverick with a guy from Vermont during CoasterMania who stated that he was told that Mean Streak had been "re-tracked."  I had to break the news to him.  No, it hasn't.

To be fair, "re-tracking" occurs on almost a yearly basis on various sections of almost all wooden coasters; it's hardly uncommon. Saying it was "re-tracked" doesn't necessarily mean it had to be RMC'ed. If I recall, Mean Streak often closes for Halloweekends, and even opened late this year, due to the yearly maintenance/re-tracking. I can't say I have kept up on my Mean Streak maintenance to know for 100% certainty it got some sections re-tracked this year, (my bet is it did), but he wasn't necessarily wrong. Of course, I wasn't there and don't know the context of the convo either... he could have been implying an RMC job.

• Like 2