Cedar Point 2016 Talk

Thanks for the info on the VR Dragon, King Ding Dong/Chugh! And KDD, there is only one coaster where VR is not optional- Galatica (formally Air) at Alton Towers.  <_<

EDIT: Also, for those keeping score, Cedar Fair has tested VR on two of their coasters: Thunder Run (Canada's Wonderland) and Iron Dragon (Cedar Point).

• Like 2

You can add me to the list of those with Platinum pass woes at CP.  I've renewed this pass a couple of times, visit KI quite often, and make a couple of trips to CP (multi-day) each year.  Mid-June this year went to CP, friends passes worked without issue, my pass red X (my first 2016 arrival at CP).  Said I needed to go to Season Pass processing to get it straightened out.  

The supervisor in processing took 15 minutes on his computer to get the pass functioning again.  I don't know what takes that long on a computer to do...but he was intently focused trying to correct whatever problem it was...  At least on day two there were no pass issues.  I'll be back up there end of this month, hopefully no issues then.

I get the occasional computer issue, but what I didn't appreciate was the second class status I was treated to by both the gate agent and pass processing agent: "Oh, this is a 'Kings Island' pass, you didn't purchase this pass here at Cedar Point?" What's with the tone in their voice?  

• Like 8

What is the processing system they use throughout the Cedar Fair chain, SQL server?  Aren't all the parks internet linked to a central system to cross-reference platinum pass usage and attached amenities (meal plan) or do they all work individually and replicate applicable data overnight during low traffic instances.

^ Well if it is anything like their WiFi or in-park mobile app...  

And why do I need to have a separate app for each park, both excessively bloated and significant battery hogs?

Now compare this to the design of Disney World where practically everything is on the network for automation and control (at one time they used to brag about all of the VLANs in use--network design articles can be found online).  

You can really tell those parks that from the ground up were 'designed' as a system versus patched in later.

• Like 4

Yaaaawn.... Don't mind me. Just catching wind of some déjà vu here.

@Maddog (7/11/16 @ 9:50 AM) - Yes. This. This is exactly what has happened to Mrs. Zombie and I both times we had our Platinum passes.  Thus, we no longer carry them.

I'm still around. I just like to stay low and keep opinions to myself these days. Where's my newspaper? Zzzzzzzzz....

• Like 2

What is the processing system they use throughout the Cedar Fair chain, SQL server?  Aren't all the parks internet linked to a central system to cross-reference platinum pass usage and attached amenities (meal plan) or do they all work individually and replicate applicable data overnight during low traffic instances.

It's called Gate Central. See information here: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/22883-park-countgate-central/?p=406280

• Like 2

IndyGuy4KI and I are headed to KD (and possibly a quick jaunt to Carowinds) this coming Sunday thru Wednesday, hopefully we dont encounter this type of soup-sandwich Sunday evening when we get to KD.  Like I said before, both of our KI Platinum Passes worked flawlessly at CP on June 7th/8th, and I will drop a quick post Sunday evening in regards to any problems (if any) encountered.

• Like 3

IBEW_Sparky - if it helps, I've used my pass at 4 different CF parks, (KI, Carowinds, WOF, and CP) this season and only had one issue. That was season passholders night when there were issues with many of the passes - the people I dealt with at KI were very nice, apologetic, and worked to fix the issue quickly.

That was the only time I've had issues with my Platinum Pass. I hope you all have a blast next week! :)

• Like 5

Are there really that many people that 1. Pay to park, then 2. Try and BS their way into the park that they have to be so strict and make you wait for them to fix their errors?

I wonder if there isn't a problem with the business logic layer or the database that sometimes when you scan to park your car it scans you into the park. That may be what happened to Terp at Carrowinds.

Especially with platinum pass holders one would reason that if there was a problem it would happen at the toll gate first.

At turn style, "Sorry sir your pass expired in 1997", "Really?, then why did the gate go up when a scanned it 10 minutes ago at the toll booth?"

Great movie scene:

IBEW_Sparky strolls up to the gate and hands over his Platinum Pass.

"Sorry Sir, my screen shows a big red X."

IBEW_Sparky empties his magazine into the screen

"Not anymore." Strolls into park.

:)

• Like 1

The majority of the issues seem to be with Gate Central. For instance, we used my pass at CP tolls to park.....it had my picture....get to Marina gate....Red X no picture....associate says there isn't a picture and that's why she has to call. I go to Guest Services they state the picture isn't there.....but it was on my old pass (thankfully I took it with me) and they transferred it over to my new one. 

Headaches. Cedar Fair needs to just upgrade to a new system IMO.

• Like 4

IBEW_Sparky - if it helps, I've used my pass at 4 different CF parks, (KI, Carowinds, WOF, and CP) this season and only had one issue. That was season passholders night when there were issues with many of the passes - the people I dealt with at KI were very nice, apologetic, and worked to fix the issue quickly.

That was the only time I've had issues with my Platinum Pass. I hope you all have a blast next week! :)

I wish you were able to join us... I am so looking forward to seeing the look on Brad's face when he steps off of I305, and also after he experiences the epic greatness that is Dominator :D

• Like 3

I wish you were able to join us... I am so looking forward to seeing the look on Brad's face when he steps off of I305, and also after he experiences the epic greatness that is Dominator :D

I wish I could too...silly work obligations and hiring timelines. I can't wait to hear what they both say about the park. You may have to take a picture of the two of them after the ride! I hope the overall visit is better than the mine was. I do need to give it another chance.

• Like 4

@ King Ding Dong:

At the time, gate attendants in parking at Carowinds didn't scan Platinum Passes, so the pass had not been scanned that day before the main gate.

It had, however, worked flawlessly the day before.

Later that season, the same thing happened to one of the mods here. Saturday, fine. Sunday: You've already been in the park--no handstamp, I can't let you in. The time? 9:30 AM.

This gets old.

• Like 5

I seem to recall that at least in one case, the issue was that the gate employee scanned the pass twice trying to get it to work. On the second scan, it had already "been used".

As of a few years ago, according to an employee who explained it to me, the backend of Gate Central consisted of a MS SQL database server at each park containing tickets & entitlements. When visiting a guest park, a copy of the (platinum) pass record got created at that park. The process worked well, except for when it didn't.

• Like 5

Midnight closes are great. I recommend starting out with rides like Magnum, Gemini, Raptor, Rougarou & Gatekeeper just after dark. The 11pm hour can be a good time to get night rides on Maverick & Millennium.

CP seems to get progressively more crowded from mid-July until schools start, so I recommend going sooner rather than (or in addition to) later.

• Like 2

I don't even understand why they insist on the hand stamp for passholders anyway and in fact some days they don't, like when it rained last week at KI SC. Not that I ever tried to fake a stamp but it sure seems like it would be easier to do than hack into their servers and switch photos. Unless they really think Changlings exist (I suppose that's possible at Kings DOMINION). :)

• Like 1

This will probably surprise you, lol, but I doubt that CP has Gate Central set up for re-entry into the park after you've already been in.

They do not which is why they require hand stamps.

I have been mostly lucky with my Kings Island pass. I had a problem a few years ago which required they replace the card, and the card had issues at Knott's last year both with admission and the dining plan. Each time requiring a call to confirm the pass. Total two days with issues and the parks took care of everything each time.

Which is better then my year of troubles with a Six Flags pass around six years ago. It started off badly with the cashier double charging me for the pass which I noticed before I signed the receipt but they were unable to do anything and just told me to complain at customer service. Then the parking which I paid extra for did not work at several parks. Sometimes they would scan the pass and tell me that I did not have parking on the pass, other times it just worked. Even had a few times where they claimed that they called the other park and when they looked up the pass I did not have parking. On the plus side it always worked at the gate.

• Like 2

Compare this Customer Service to say Amazon. Just a couple of weeks ago I ordered some swim trunks that did not arrive on time. I called them up and they immediately shipped more next day delivery. A week later the original pair shows up and they don't even want them back. This is why I have paid for Prime since it started.

• Like 6

Hotel Breakers has free parking with In/out privileges as much as you want. Breakers Express gets parking only with a ticket package and is subject to normal parking regulations.

Late august has slightly lighter crowds as Ohio goes back to school. However Michiganers and residents of Ontario have learned this and take their vacations during this time.

• Like 1

Cedar Point is a great place for summer family fun, but we have a warning for those who have purchased a new all-season drink cup. Those bright orange or green bottles can be a target for thieves.

Cedar Point is not disclosing any numbers. But on an online forum, devoted specifically to the issue, shows one man who said he had two cups stolen,....................

See the full story here: http://m.cleveland19.com/19actionnews/db_330498/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=u8sOutMd&pn=&ps=#display

This is part of the reason I didn't buy a cup. Also, because I don't want to carry it around and then put it in a locker.

I'm reminded of my conversation with Jason McClure at Winter Chill Out....I suggested putting all season drinks on a season pass instead of having the cups..he seemed interested in the idea and suggested I emailed him as well as having others email him with the suggestion. Maybe it's time to do so? 

Edit: 

I also see that VR is going to be more widely available: 

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/airtime/airtime-1.489637/cedar-point-s-iron-dragon-takes-a-virtual-turn-roller-coaster-to-have-vr-headsets-at-night-1.696692

• Like 2