Cedar Point 2016 Talk

Developed does not necessarily mean out of room.

How so? If the park had a patch of trees or grasslands, hence undeveloped, you'd say that was room to expand to wouldn't you? In order to expand something that is developed; whether it be parking, resorts, buildings, or attractions; would have to go.

He was very clear that high cost and low ridership have tremendous influence on the decisions being made.

I don't see how this is supposed to work against my point. To me this confirms the park knows something will always have to go and are therefore always analyzing what the best options for removal are.

^ Regarding the old dorms, I was told in my Cedar Point interview, that happened in January of 2015, that those dorms would be taken down for the "2016 addition." Obviously that didn't actually happen, so something in the Valravn plans changed. If they didn't take them down for that project, I don't see them taking down the dorms for another expansion. 

• Like 2

Any advice on the August crowds for CP would be appreciated.  Schools must start later up there because the park is open the entire month, whereas KI stops daily operation mid month.  I'd like to combine a KI trip with the CP trip (Stop by KI on Monday for a couple of hours, all day Tues/Wed at CP, then Thursday at KI).  Would the week of 8-8 or 8-15 be better for this plan?

Also, any inexpensive hotel reccomendations?  I stayed at BE in May, highly disgusted with the conditions. 

• Like 2

Schools must start later up there because the park is open the entire month, whereas KI stops daily operation mid month.

Not really schools starting later (although they do in nearby Michigan) as much as the fact that Kings Island relies mostly on high school students to staff the park whereas Cedar Point utilizes a mixture of college students and internationals. (This is reflected in the fact that Kings Island allows ages 16 and up to work in rides, while I believe Cedar Point requires rides associates to be at least 18 years old.) Thus Cedar Point doesn't suddenly lose a huge portion of their workforce when local high schools start back up.

Additionally, Kings Island is a local/regional park and most of its guests are local to the area, so when local schools return to session, they lose a lot of attendance as well. Cedar Point's attendance doesn't take that hard of a hit from local school starting back up because it is a destination park that draws guests from all over the country and beyond.

• Like 5

^. We spent a night at the Quality Inn Milan for $89 I think. Seemed clean with a decent TV and a rather decent breakfast with waffle irons, eggs, sausage and stuff. Was a little farther than I would have preferred but we were rather last minute and just needed a place to crash. The beds were more comfortable than many nicer hotels I have been to. The only con was the hallway smelled of fresh paint but you can't knock them keeping up with maintenance.

• Like 2

How so? If the park had a patch of trees or grasslands, hence undeveloped, you'd say that was room to expand to wouldn't you? In order to expand something that is developed; whether it be parking, resorts, buildings, or attractions; would have to go.

No, I would not say there was room to expand if there was a patch of trees. There is much land that has trees that cannot be developed-take some of the land that surrounds KI.

Back to CP, don't read into the comment made. While the property is developed, it does not mean out of room. It is difficult to imagine for many on what ride can be placed in certain spaces.

You are catagorizing removal of certain rides/ buildings that CP is out of room. I read it as: since a ride/ building has minimal popularity and/ or high maintenance costs, what else can the space be used for?

And then there is the parking lot, which is developed, but not needed to be on Point.

• Like 4

Any advice on the August crowds for CP would be appreciated.  Schools must start later up there because the park is open the entire month, whereas KI stops daily operation mid month.  I'd like to combine a KI trip with the CP trip (Stop by KI on Monday for a couple of hours, all day Tues/Wed at CP, then Thursday at KI).  Would the week of 8-8 or 8-15 be better for this plan?

Also, any inexpensive hotel reccomendations?  I stayed at BE in May, highly disgusted with the conditions. 

I stayed at Knights Inn in Sandusky last year. Nice big comfortable room, good price and decent breakfast (donuts, bagels, cereal, etc.) and about 10 minutes from CP (keep going down 6 past CP Drive and it's the last hotel on the left actually within Sandusky city limits).

This year I stayed at Econolodge on Route 6 because Knights Inn wasn't available one of the nights I was staying in the area. It's an older hotel with newer renovations (HD TVs, modern rooms, etc.). Decent breakfast as well (Belgian waffles, bagels, English muffins, cereal, coffee, etc.). My only major complaint was that the bed was hard as a rock, so it wasn't very comfortable. If you like sleeping on firm mattresses it shouldn't be a big deal.

• Like 2

I always suggest America's Best Value Inn on Rt. 250, cheap, rooms are a little out dated but well put together, great showers/water pressure and beds were comfy.

• Like 2

The plan last Wednesday was to make it the last ride of the night but I got twisted around and we ended up getting the last train on Magnum instead. Still recovering from that trip hopefully healed by next week. Finally went to Urgent Care yesterday and am on a anti-biotic and anti-fungal. Not CP's fault but man that place can be rough, My tracker says I walked over 10 miles that day.

This board will explode if they get anything RMC, but I really doubt that. When was the last time they added a coaster that wasn't a record breaker?

• Like 1

I've only ridden Mean Streak twice but I really don't understand the complaints about it being rough. Maybe it's gotten better in recent years, but I thought it was a fun coaster and not really any worse than other wood coasters. I don't know if I'll make it back up there before it closes.

Sent from my LG G5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2