Cedar Point 2016 Talk

Taking the family for our first ever trip to CP (OK, I was there ~30yrs ago)...

Was planning on starting at Valravn and heading clockwise (as much as we can mange) around the park, skipping Gemini and the 'family' rides . Is this a good idea or bad? Should we start at another coaster first to minimize wait time?

Bummed to hear about TTD, hoping it's back up for Sunday.

Was planning on starting at Valravn and heading clockwise (as much as we can mange) around the park, skipping Gemini and the 'family' rides . Is this a good idea or bad? Should we start at another coaster first to minimize wait time?

Why are you skipping Gemini? I think it's an awesome ride.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• Like 9

^ we're not really big fans of Racer, the kids and wife will probably see it as too similar and decide to skip. 

I hope you change their minds. The airtime on Racer is put to shame (via the current era's 2nd half of the ride) from the kind of air you get on Gemini :P

It's airtime is abrupt, warn you, like Magnum, make your belt tight so you don't bang on the hard... foam-like-plastic ;)

• Like 2

Depends on if you will be there for ERT. One strategy I hear is to do Valravn later in the day because lines are shorter. YMMV. If there for ERT, I enter through the SC/resort gate start at Maverick and work my way forward counter clockwise, by passing Magnum becuase it is usually a very short wait. On a mid July Wednesday trip we stopped at Valravyn and about 15 min before ERT was up and the stand by line was 1 hour already and they hadn't let the FL+ line enter the que yet.

Bottom line: you need to budget 2 hours for Valravn especially on a weekend and be pleasantly surprised if it is less.

Edit: I see in another post you have platties. If you get there very early to allow for approaching road construction, causeway traffic and possible security checkpoint, making a mad dash for Valravyn from the plaza may be the best option. Think Walmart Black Friday.

• Like 1

I should have stated above that we're taking friends who do not have passes, so ERT is not an option for our entire group.

We might save Valravn for the last ride of the day. I doubt we'll get a chance to hit any rides multiple times, but depends on too many variables to accurately predict, honestly.

I suppose if they have one in stock and there is no other damage.

I do believe on current carriers it is directly on the pistons. You will find general information on the web but nothing to detailed. The technology is one of our most closely held secrets. Last I read the Russians have still not been able to perfect the technology and have to use rocket boosters to launch their fighters.

I should have stated above that we're taking friends who do not have passes, so ERT is not an option for our entire group.

We might save Valravn for the last ride of the day. I doubt we'll get a chance to hit any rides multiple times, but depends on too many variables to accurately predict, honestly.

Well in that case send a couple of scouts to hold your place in line. (Just kiddin, don't do that)

Back on page 28-29 chugh43 posted a couple of maps of the SC lot for me and some good advise to get me started on my first trip.

• Like 1

We went to CP the last two Saturdays.  Valravn gets much less of a line later at night. In fact, for as big as the park is, those midnight closings on Fridays and Saturdays are not busy at all.

People flock to Valravn first.  I think I saw it lower (less than 1.5 hours,lol)  mid-afternoon once. But, we got in 1 hour around 7pm.

Dragster is always a crapshoot. Usually, a really long crapshoot...but last weekend got on 30 minutes, and this weekend 20 (about 1015am)  

• Like 1

And, as others said, do try to change your family's minds on Gemini. It is a great ride that does not trully compare to Racer, imo. I'd describe it more of a dueling coaster than a racing. The tracks are directly next to each other most of the ride rather than separated as on Racer and are obviously steel instead of wooden. Plus, I can't recall ever waiting in a line for it. All of my rides have been station waits and took place on weekends.

• Like 4

For those hoping GCI will work on Mean Streak, I'm not thinking it's likely.

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/northumberland_county/roller-coaster-company-has-four-rides-in-the-works/article_8d8349c0-e3f9-5a73-871e-7dcc679dc1d4.html

While the article doesn't state anything about refurbs, but it does speak about ground up projects.....maybe a flip flop of the ride profile? 

So does anyone know how Cedar Point handles lockers? I usually always go with cargo shorts so I never have to worry about loose articles, but I was wanting to bring a camera to the park.. only thing is.. I'm not going to bother with it if I can't buy an all-day locker sort of pass.
I understand they offer all-day lockers.. but they seem to be more for one location. (How KI has it)

There isn't a locker purchase that would allow you to use a locker at any of the ride locker locations, right?

If not, that would be a nice option so you aren't buying a locker for every single ride right before. The rides that require locker purchase before riding aren't close together exactly.

• Like 1

They don't have a roaming locker code. I sure wish they did as well.

I think the all day lockers are just up front, but I very well could be wrong about that.

At $2 a pop it shouldn't cost you more than $20-30 in one off rentals, unless you plan on zooming all around the park.

We were just there Thursday and I really want to hit KI this weekend but the forecast is still iffy for Mason. My kids don't do well sitting around waiting for the rain to stop.

Looks to be a great day in Sandusky on Sunday, high of 82.

Oh good.. it's a $2 a pop? I could swing that.

I was anticipating the 10$ price per locker haha

That's one at Valravn, two at Gatekeeper, three for Millennium Force & Rougarou, four for Top Thrill Dragster & Magnum XL 200.. $8 before taxes.. Not terrible!

Everywhere else has bins that I can use (at my own risk)

I think there are lockers for Valravyn, but not sure about that. Page has likely not been updated yet.

Can I take my bag or other belongings on a ride with me?

Loose article policies vary for our rides. Visit our Ride Policies and Procedures page for more information. Note that Top Thrill Dragster, Gatekeeper, Rougarou, Magnum XL-200 and Millennium Force riders are required to store their belongings (purses, prizes, video cameras, etc.) in the secure lockers at various ride's entrance's as they are not permitted in line or on the rides.

Lockers are available near Millennium Force, Gatekeeper, Top Thrill Dragster, Thunder Canyon, and Skyhawk.

Small 3 x 5 GoPod Locker $2 for 2 hours, $4 for 4 hours, or $6 for 6 hours

12” Wide x 18” Deep x 14-2/5” High

Large 2 x 4 GoPod Locker $4 for 2 hours, $8 for 4 hours, or $12 for 6 hours

15” Wide x 18” Deep x 18” High

So I was just thinking about this. What if you used a prepaid Visa gift card with only $2 on it to rent a locker. Would the kiosk let you use one, maybe not? What happens at hour 3 when when it wants another $1? Does it go into lockdown and require an associate to access it or maybe it just unlocks and all your stuff is exposed?

These are deep, deep questions. :)

You choose a duration upon rental, and your payment card is authorized for that amount. If you arrive late, the system will require you to extend your rental before the door will open. Extending the rental wouldn't work on a card that lacked sufficient funds to do so.

• Like 1