Which would you choose if you had one weekend?

APE

I can't handle this kind of pressure. I will say I'm leaning more towards the BGW and KD now after reading all of the things that seem to be happening with BGW. I want to go before it is completely destroyed. Those ticket prices are horrible though.

Do you have AAA? I was able to get tickets through them for BGT. If I'm remembering right, they were two day passes (could visit a second time in the calender year for free), with one meal included, for $10 less than the one day ticket.

• Like 1

I voted BGW/KD because those are the first two (of three) stops on my Edge of the Millennium Tour this year. Also, although I hear that NJFTP is awesome (and looks cool on Roller Coaster Tycoon 2), the biggest pulls for me to go there would really only be Nitro (since it's a retro B&M hyper) and Batman (because the one at SFGAM was awesome). Also, Hershey has Lightning Racers and Storm Runner, so those would really be my pulls for me to go there. The choice is ultimately up to you, and whatever you choose, you have to be happy with your decision. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I stayed in the Best Western in Kings Dominion's parking lot last summer. It doesn't have great reviews online, but I thought it was stayable. It was clean and comfortable enough, but it wasn't a Ritz-Carlton by any means (and it doesn't pretend to be.) Depending on when you go, it can be a decent deal or ridiculously expensive. I will consider it an option next time I stay in the area.

• Like 1

For my forthcoming KD/BGW trip, I did something many here probably don't like doing. I went with a Motel 6 in Richmond (well, a suburb of Richmond technically).

There was a time not long ago that I would avoid that chain like the plague. However, several years back, they started renovating a lot of their hotels. If you look on their website, you'll see that some of their locations are marked as having "Modern rooms". This is a guarantee that within the last several years, the hotel has received a complete renovation (I think the first such location was converted in 2008). The ones with the modern rooms all feature hard flooring, which is a huge plus, because they are far easier to keep clean.

I've stayed in the "Modern" Motel 6 locations in Coraopolis, PA for a Kennywood trip and in Palatine, IL for a SFGAm trip and I had no qualms whatsoever with either. I can't personally speak for the one in Richmond (though, I will be able to in one month's time) but I've had good luck so far, provided it is one of the locations with the modern rooms. They never have the best amenities, but I'm the sort who needs nothing more than a clean room with a clean bed that has a roof over it and a hot shower. One member of my group is former military and as such, can get a discount, so we're paying less than $50 a night and splitting it four ways. When/if they ever disappoint, I may reevaluate my stance, but so far, if you want a place on the cheap, I can at least recommend that you consider it as an option and check out the reviews.

You can also cancel a reservation up to 5:00 PM the day of the stay, so if you were planning a trip in June, you could, conceivably ask me what my thoughts were after I've stayed there in early April and then cancel if it turns out to not be what you're looking for.

Now, Super 8, I still avoid like the plague. I've stayed in decent ones, but I've also stayed in dreadful ones, and there doesn't seem to be any consistent gauge that I can use to judge a particular location's suitability before I drop my money.

I'm not going to outright recommend you stay at a specific hotel that I haven't personally stayed at yet, but if you aren't one who cares much about the amenities, don't dismiss it immediately. I'm sure a hotel review will be part of the inevitable trip report.

- homestar92, lowering his lodging standards and doing the potential dirty work - so you don't have to!

• Like 3

Now, Super 8, I still avoid like the plague. I've stayed in decent ones, but I've also stayed in dreadful ones, and there doesn't seem to be any consistent gauge that I can use to judge a particular location's suitability before I drop my money.

I've stayed in a couple of Super 8 motels. I've spent four nights in the one in Forsyth, Georgia, on my way to and from Florida, and I've always had a clean room, everything in working order, no issues whatsoever there. I've also stayed at the one near KI once, and while it wasn't as great of an experience, it was still fine by my standards (which are similar to yours), and I may very well stay there again for CoasterStock since I have some Wyndham Rewards points I have to use before they expire this fall. :)

• Like 1

I've stayed at decent ones too like I said. I suppose "avoid like the plague" isn't entirely accurate. If reviews are good or if I've had a pleasant stay at that location before, I'll give it a shot. Right now though, I'm all for the Motel 6s until one of the newly renovated ones fails to deliver.

• Like 2

At this moment in time the only one I have visited on the list is Hersheypark so I will only comment on it (even though I think your decision is made).

The ride lineup is interesting. You've got Intamin, B&M, Vekoma, GCI, Schwarzkopf, Arrow, and Mack all in one park. The Intamins in the park are great and definitely are worth the trip. Skyrush is a little painful but the ride is super intense. The GCI woodies are fun. The Great Bear is a very unique invert. Not My favorite invert I've been on but its a must at Hershey. Sidewinder is super smooth for a Boomerang coaster. Don't overlook Comet. It's a fantastic coaster. If it's hot, Coal Cracker is one of my favorite flumes.

Food didn't really stand out to me when I was there but it wasn't bad either. Operations were slow at Hershey but nowhere near as bad as my home park (SFGAm). Park had shaded areas and had lots of character.

All in all Hershey was a fun day. I definitely want to go back but it's not high on the return list at the moment. I'll be visiting the other three parks in April and will be able to give you some more info on them.

Good luck on your decision!

• Like 2

Hotel is booked and trip is planned.

We are going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and then to Kings Dominion the next day. I can't wait.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for the two parks like times to avoid certain rides or special food items I wouldn't be able to get elsewhere?

• Like 4

Hotel is booked and trip is planned.

We are going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and then to Kings Dominion the next day. I can't wait.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for the two parks like times to avoid certain rides or special food items I wouldn't be able to get elsewhere?

avoid Intimidator 305, you might catch Intaminitis.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Impossible choice for me. I grew up going to Hershey and Kings Dominion.

SFGAd: El Toro, Batman, and Nitro

Hershey: Skyrush, Stormrunner and Lightning Racer

Kings Dominion: Volcano, Intimidator and Grizzly

BGE: Apollo's Chariot, Apengeist, and Griffon

Take a long break and visit them all!

:)

• Like 2