Kings Island Resort After it Closed

Gordon Bombay

How about Liberty Township?

That seems to be going up quicker than those apartments!

A good chunk has been taken off, but the original sign (from what I can see from the road adjacent not trespassing as that is a no no) in the small drop off point looks as if it is still up. That along with a few other areas. I wish I jumped on that auction as some signage would be a great wall hanger for my KI stuff.

• Like 3

I took this photo on November 1:

Posted Image

This looks like Kings Island Drive's version of a year-round Haunt building.

On a more serious note, this definitely does not set the right mood when you see it so close to Kings Island (especially those of us whose trips to KI in the past included the Resort). Worse yet, it still has "Kings Island" on the sign. Wonder if there's many casual park visitors who see this, read this sign, and wonder if there's problems within Kings Island itself. I think it's a real shame for the park to have this eyesore so close to it. So ironic, too, with the hotel originally being being such an important part of the "resort" vision of Kings Island.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

No security doesn't give you a free pass for trespassing.

Correct. I shouldn't have been able to do so.

Incorrect. You shouldn't have done it. Period. Not you shouldn't have been "able" to do it. It's not THEIR job to make it physically impossible to trespass. It's YOUR job as (I hope) an upstanding member of society to obey the law, including the provision that you don't trespass on other people's property without first obtaining their permission.

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Heard from some folks that the original development efforts have stalled hence why demolition has stopped and nothing has been announced. Looks like the abandoned resort may be there for awhile....what's left of it at least. 

Incorrect. You shouldn't have done it. Period. Not you shouldn't have been "able" to do it. It's not THEIR job to make it physically impossible to trespass. It's YOUR job as (I hope) an upstanding member of society to obey the law, including the provision that you don't trespass on other people's property without first obtaining their permission.

If you obtain permission it isn't really trespassing isn't it?

And If we're going to go into legal details, I'd expect you, nor anyone else here to share copyrighted material without the expressed, written consent of the copyright holder. Be careful what images you link and what article quotes you copy.... upstanding citizens you know. 

• Like 9

If they care at all about their property, then it really should be their job to prevent people from coming in and scrapping, vandalizing, spray-painting, partaking of drugs in, setting fire to, shooting guns at, or otherwise destroying their property.

One fence in front of a driveway, with no additional security measures whatsoever (not even fencing around the rest of it!), shows that they do not give a hoot about the property.  I brought a camera and not power tools, spray paint, drugs, matches, or weapons.  There are bigger fish to fry.

The singular "No Trespassing" sign on a single length of fence across the driveway means about this much:

simpsons_keep_out_sign_or_enter_im_a_sig

Sure, I did trespass. No use in denying that. I also knew that no one cared.

It's still illegal. Period. You've admitted to it, so don't even try to defend yourself further.

Again, the owners of the property do NOT have a responsibility to physically prevent people from trespassing on their property. YOU have a responsibility to not trespass on other people's property.

• Like 1

Trespassing and speeding is two widely different things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, but only to a certain extent. One just gets you a citation, while the other gets you thrown in jail. But both are still illegal.

For the record, I always obey the speed limit.

• Like 1

Prosecutors have frequently used admissions of guilt (including pictures taken by the accused) to bring indictments and prove cases.

Many of those matters have been posted in the "I Can't Make This Crap Up" thread.

----

Not smart.

Not smart at all.

I can't even advise editing certain posts here. You see, that could be construed as aiding and abetting, obstruction of justice, and/or conspiracy.

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, the District of Columbia, or any United State. You should consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. No attorney/client privilege is created by reading this or any other post by the author. The criminal law varies from state to state, district by district, township to township, &c. This is a disclaimer.

• Like 9

Trespassing and speeding is two widely different things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, but only to a certain extent. One just gets you a citation, while the other gets you thrown in jail. But both are still illegal.

For the record, I always obey the speed limit.

Let's ease up there, moral police. By that rationale you could also say one crime has the potential to kill people and does so several times a year, one's just trespassing.

HarvestMan, I'd listen to Goble. Don't go trespassing.

He knows about being where he's not supposed to. Remember, you can't Coast with the Kids unless you pay to.  ;)

• Like 6

One just gets you a citation, while the other gets you thrown in jail.

It's a rare occurrence that a trespasser armed with nothing but a camera will be given jail time. I have heard of a few tickets being given out, but those are rare as well.  95% of the time, police and security do not care about someone who is doing no harm to their property.

HarvestMan, I'd listen to Goble. Don't go trespassing.

Thank you (and Terpy too) for the legal advice. I'll pass the advice along to fellow UER folk.

As most people speed because others on the road are speeding, otherwise you will get ran over, especially in the toll roads in NJ.  You use the excuse as you explain the officer, "I was only keeping up with traffic" as you are given an expensive fine.  Which reminds me I was speeding 20 mph over the limit on I-76 going west towards PA when it it all of a sudden dawned on me, I can use the excuse of keep up with the traffic when there was no traffic!  I think the troopers are looking for the erratic driver.  

Same goes for trespassing where people think it is no harm if no one is watching them or others are doing it, so why not me?  

• Like 2

As most people speed because others on the road are speeding, otherwise you will get ran over, especially in the toll roads in NJ. You use the excuse as you explain the officer, "I was only keeping up with traffic" as you are given an expensive fine. Which reminds me I was speeding 20 mph over the limit on I-76 going west towards PA when it it all of a sudden dawned on me, I can use the excuse of keep up with the traffic when there was no traffic! I think the troopers are looking for the erratic driver.

Same goes for trespassing where people think it is no harm if no one is watching them or others are doing it, so why not me?

Just to be clear, the article at the start of this topic didn't involve trespassing. I had permission to be there.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Awesome pix, as always!

Anybody here know what's next for the site?

An article from the Cincinnati Business Courier stated that Towne Properties (one of the big names in rental properties throughout Cincinnati) was developing "luxury apartments" to be built on site. They even had somewhat of a rendering: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/12/05/developers-planning-35m-apartment-project-at.html

However, those plans were announced in December 2014, a few days after the resort/Inn closed. Demolition began in January 2015, but stopped slightly after. Someone I spoke with from Warren County mentioned that there was a zoning problem and that the demolition may have paused because the property hadn't been rezoned for the rental property yet.

With it resuming, I'm not sure if the "luxury apartments" are still on track. I believe at one point, someone also speculated about retail being able to mix in with the apartment complexes ala the nearby Deerfield Towne Centre. Again, just things I've heard, not hard facts.