Kings Island Resort After it Closed

Gordon Bombay

I too have heard similar things for the property.  It will be interesting to see what develops.  

I'm doubtful on the street level retail concept similar to Deerfield Towne Centre. I'd think that if retail develops, it'll have to be much smaller shops. I do think that'd be a good thing though - dense units with convenient shops nearby. It's a far cry from most suburban developments. It'd be even better if this development (and for that matter all surrounding things) were better linked to KI for pedestrian/bike access.

• Like 1

How about something that would be intriguing... but never successful:  a concept like Disney Springs or Universal Citywalk.  It wouldn't have a snowballs chance in you know where, but would be a "fun" idea.

It'd be interesting given Cedar Fair's interest in year round revenue opportunities and it'd be the perfect location. 

Kings Island is an interesting scenario though. The nearby Great Wolf Lodge was built on land formerly belonging to the park and once operated in a great partnership with Kings Island under Paramount. Then for awhile GWL advertising, signage and branding disappeared from the park and its promotional materials. Now it's back. If KI were to pursue its own resort/hotel, no doubt the folks literally right next door may not take a liking to it. 

• Like 2

How about something that would be intriguing... but never successful:  a concept like Disney Springs or Universal Citywalk.  It wouldn't have a snowballs chance in you know where, but would be a "fun" idea.

Once upon a time proposed for Paramount's Great America.

thumb_gate1.jpg

thumb_gate3.jpg

The success of such areas largely depends on who it offers, who goes there, and who can get there. Downtown Disney at Disneyland isn't the sort of place I'd like to be after dark on a weekend. I've seen fights break out on more than one occasion. See also Easton Town Centre in Columbus. Or even Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, whose entry price for a season wasn't much more than Downtown Disney's. 

The concept shown here of a shopping avenue parallel to the park's "Main Street" closely mirrors the DisneyTown coming to Shanghai Disneyland

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

I don't think there's enough theming around Cedar Fair to make it unique enough  or anything more than a shopping area featuring shops that are a dime a dozen around town.  Under Paramount, however, there was plenty of theming that it could have been built around.. as noted in that Press Release by bkroz.

• Like 2

Yep.  And to make it easy, here is the conversation about Winterfest at California`s Great America, and what was said on the last conference call about the possibility of expanding it to other parks:  http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/31773-californias-great-america-winterfest-2016/?hl=%2Bgreat+%2Bamerica+%2Bwinterfest

• Like 5

How about something that would be intriguing... but never successful: a concept like Disney Springs or Universal Citywalk. It wouldn't have a snowballs chance in you know where, but would be a "fun" idea.

It's my understanding that at one time Paramount had planned to do just that thing... On International Street at KI as well.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

The other night, I saw the episode of "The Partridge Family" set at Kings Island for the first time.

A lot of scenes that I saw were filmed at the Kings Island Resort. Did not know Johnny Bench had a cameo as a waiter.

Any updated pictures of the demolition itself?

• Like 3

It's basically all rubble now. Sure, a few bits of buildings here and there with the sign still up but it's mostly gone now. I'll check tomorrow and describe if anything new happened as i will be driving by.

• Like 2