International Restaurant Entrance?

GamesAndRides

It's the stairs behind a glass door to the right just before you leave or get your hand stamped, and to the left of the shop that is often closed. This past year, there was a big sign and TV advertising Cirque Imagine blocking most of the view of the stairs. That whole glass enclosure on the right between the open gates area and the little shop was the original entrance. It also opened to the outside of the gates at one time. It's the opposite wall of the wide open gates area from where guest services are. So, the left as you come in, right as you go out.

Being only accessible by stairs may be the reason they closed off general access to the restaurant and reserve it for private events. I guess they didn't want to add an elevator to bring it up to current disability codes.

• Like 6

It's the stairs behind a glass door to the right just before you leave or get your hand stamped, and to the left of the shop that is often closed. This past year, there was a big sign and TV advertising Cirque Imagine blocking most of the view of the stairs. That whole glass enclosure on the right between the open gates area and the little shop was the original entrance. It also opened to the outside of the gates at one time.

Being only accessible by stairs may be the reason they closed off general access to the restaurant and reserve it for private events. I guess they didn't want to add an elevator to bring it up to current disability codes.

Thank you! :D

When you're walking in, all the way to your left is a display window usually set up with an advertisement for merchandise or Haunt. Around the other side of the window inside the park is a glass door with stairs up to the restaurant.

From Google Maps:

Screen_Shot_2015_02_27_at_8_38_24_AM.png

By the way, I think reason it isn't used often is because it's not ADA accessible... no elevator. Something to consider when designing a new entrance for it...

EDIT: Beaten

• Like 4

Does anyone know where the IR Entrance was? I could never find it at the park a few seasons ago. Thanks!

EDIT: To make it more clear, I am working on a KI recreation and I need to know where the entrance was, Was not trying to sneak in :P

Just curious, what are you making the recreation in? Minecraft, NoLimits, RCT, etc?

I still remember, not sure of the year, when I realized the IR was just closed. This was long before finding out information on the Internet. After seeing it closed a few times, it dawned on me it must be closed for good. I don't think it was announced or anything, they just kind of quit opening it, if I remember correctly. It was a real bummer because it was close to the time when I was finally able to visit the park on a regular basis, after just hearing about it for decades. Glad I got to eat there once, though.

• Like 3

If that rumor is true, you can probably forget about any major front gate renovation that would include demolishing that building. New commercial elevators in buildings without an existing shaft can cost a million dollars or more.

Unless that elevator comes installed in a new edifice.

Or it could be not a full fledged elevator but a wheelchair lift (similar to what they installed on Banshee`s station. Those are cheaper than traditional elevators, because as you said, there is no shaft to construct. And when adding an elevator to an existing building, you have to be concerned with the shaft rating and fire separation requirements. I do not believe that the Intertional Restaurant/front gate building is sprinklered, which means the fire rating requirements of the shaft would be much more stringent. Not to mention, there likely would have to be an area of refuge provided on the second floor in the event there is a fire, for those that are in wheelchairs and cannot use the stairs in the emergency.

Too much information? I am just glad that I took my final Architect Registration Exam this past week, and hopefully passed it!

• Like 6

And you think a wheelchair lift is a reasonable accommodation in the context of ADA and the situation?

Say there are nine disabled diners and a fast raging fire? An area of refuge? Really?

Terp, who likes to ask questions

Honestly not trying to be snarky, but asking a legitimate question: how would that differ from if, say, there were a raging fire in Banshee's station?

(There's probably a really obvious answer that I'm missing...)

• Like 1

Eiffel Tower is always capitalized here as it is the name of a Kings Island attraction.

Ironically, a restaurant at the 50 foot level poses many of the same problems that the International Restaurant has/had. Lack of ADA access being a major one. Add impracticable. Not enough space, a logistical nightmare and where do you put the kitchen?

And there were enough problems with people tossing things over the side in the relatively more genteel Seventies. I can just see cheeseburgers, and worse, landing on unsuspecting patrons.

• Like 5

Some buildings are designed with fire doors at their stairwells. They are held open with strong magnets that release when a fire alarm goes off. This way, if someone can't travel down the stairs, they can go into the stairwell and be safe until emergency personnel can rescue them.

I love the view from the International Restaurant. It would be great to see the building updated to allow its use for more than a few events each year. But, would it be a good ROI?

edit for spelling: live...love?

• Like 5

It depends on how much they invest. Imagine they invest a good chunk of money, bring in a world renowned Chef to make it one of Cincinnati's top restaurants. You can eat there 365 days a year. Then maybe.

But there is a longer than usual walk from the parking lot to the restaurant. But then again, the Montgomery Inn Boathouse fixed the long parking lot problems with a valet.

If the food is good and the atmosphere is nice people will come.

• Like 4

Eiffel Tower is always capitalized here as it is the name of a Kings Island attraction.

Ironically, a restaurant at the 50 foot level poses many of the same problems that the International Restaurant has/had. Lack of ADA access being a major one. Add impracticable. Not enough space, a logistical nightmare and where do you put the kitchen?

And there were enough problems with people tossing things over the side in the relatively more genteel Seventies. I can just see cheeseburgers, and worse, landing on unsuspecting patrons.

I don't think they are going to do it either. It sounds like a nice idea. Finding a place for the kitchen is a problem, maybe they could put the kitchen somewhere on the ground level near the Eiffel Tower, that would give more space on the 50ft level for tables. Have people order there and then use a phone to call the kitchen and have the food brought up. Then the waiters/waitresses would have to be extra careful having it brought up using the stairs, if they use the elevator it would lesson the risk of dropping food. Just an idea.

Sounds like a dining room logistics nightmare. A ticket is printed in the kitchen (on the ground). Cooks make the food. The food is then either carried up 50 feet (5-10 minute walk?) or up an elevator (2-3 minutes). Then its put under a warming light till someone is capable of taking the food to the table. If something is wrong/etc then well thats a nightmare. Not to mention drinks. 6-10 minutes just for a drink to return (under a no wait situation).

Does the elevator even stop (able to stop) at the 50 foot platform?

• Like 3

Sounds like a dining room logistics nightmare. A ticket is printed in the kitchen (on the ground). Cooks make the food. The food is then either carried up 50 feet (5-10 minute walk?) or up an elevator (2-3 minutes). Then its put under a warming light till someone is capable of taking the food to the table. If something is wrong/etc then well thats a nightmare. Not to mention drinks. 6-10 minutes just for a drink to return (under a no wait situation).

Does the elevator even stop (able to stop) at the 50 foot platform?

One giant tray, a rope, and a couple employees who want an arm workout all summer. Done!

• Like 6