29 things no one tells you a out leaving Ohio.

jandyb79

After growing up and going to college in Ohio, I lived in California for seven years before moving back, and I didn't notice most of those. Probably in part because I don't follow the sports or like many of the "Ohio" foods/drinks (except peanut butter/chocolate buckeyes).

What's weird about the Ohio State Buckeyes is that before I left, I didn't notice a lot of support for them outside of the students and alumni. Seemingly while I was away was when they became a really big deal, and I definitely noticed when I returned ten years ago. Must have been when they started some serious winning streak or something.

As for seasons, I really missed them when living in Southern California. Although it is pleasant most of the year, it's a bit of a perpetual Spring (with all the beautiful flowering trees, but zero thunderstorms), with no Autumn to speak of, two weeks of straight rain to mark "Winter", and a new season called "fire" thrown in to mark "Summer".

• Like 3

Back in 2012, I went on 3 straight trips with the UC men's basketball team to their various tournament sites (NYC, Memphis and Boston). I only had a few days between trips, if that. By the time the Boston trip came, I was actually getting a little homesick. Part of me thinks about where I want to live, and those series of trips cemented my thinking that I want to stay in Cincinnati. Heck, the first thing I did after the plane touched down coming back from Boston was going immediately to the Skyline I live closest to.

Also, methinks this list was done by someone who went to OSU in college. Just a hunch. ;)

• Like 2

Just a note: I spent my entire young life wanting to get the heck out of Ohio. Coming from a boring hometown probably had something to do with it (although even my hometown has greatly improved since my childhood). While there were things I liked about Southern California, I'm really happy we moved back here, and I've been much happier upon my return than I was before I left or when I lived out there.

• Like 5

I did that with Kings Island for a bit as well. For a wide variety of reasons, between 2007 and 2009, I didn't go much. I think I went once for P&G Dividend Day each of those years. Started getting season passes annually in 2010 and it almost felt like rediscovering the park again since, even in those few years, a ton of things changed, especially getting used to Cedar Fair after being more familiar with how Paramount ran the park.

• Like 4

Crossing the state lines back into Ohio always find me sighing with a smile that I'm home. I love exploring but I'm happy to call Ohio my home for the foreseeable future.

Number 22 is the one that gets me anytime I travel. I've had a number of people, that once they discovered I'm from Ohio or went to OU, say "Go Buckeyes!" or "O-H!". Telling them that I'm a Bobcat, not a Buckeye, makes them a bit confused.

I don't get the Cincinnati Chili love. Give me some heat and they can keep the cinnamon and chocolate somewhere far away from my chili.

• Like 4

Trust me, for about a month I used a third-party keyboard on my phone that had no autocorrect other than capitalization/punctuation (e.g. changing "im" to "I'm"). I grew so frustrated with it that I gave up and switched back to the Android default keyboard. (I still have that keyboard, though, because it's useful for coding.)

I now use the SwiftKey keyboard, which has a much smarter and more useful autocorrect feature than the Android default.

• Like 1

I miss T9. For some unknown reason, the predictive text on my old LG enV² was far better at guessing what I meant to say than any touch-based device I've ever used. And I've, at various points in my life, owned an iPhone, an Android phone, and a Windows tablet. So as the stock keyboards go, I've used all of the prominent ones.

Smartphones are awesome. But I really do miss my dumbphone at times. It did very few things, but it did them very, very well and I could go nearly a week without charging it. I've never had a smartphone that could make it more than a day and a half.

And yes, the LG enV² had a full keyboard and I ignored it and used T9. That's how good its predictive text engine was. And I was fully aware how good I had it. It wasn't until that phone gave up the ghost and I realized how difficult it was to find a feature phone that was half as good as it was that I moved to a smartphone.

• Like 2

When introducing myself to people (especially those from other countries) and I'm asked where I'm from, I say "Ohio" and then they get that look.

"I live close to Wright Patterson- yaknow.... Hangar 18."

"Ah...." Yah, they know where the aliens are, at least.

• Like 4

Some blame aliens on the occupant in DC.

Especially right now.

They say our homeland security depends on it.

See 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Others blame The Hill in this same town.

Your view apparently depends on where you stand. Or sit.

Terp, who will be here all week, and, since he signed another lease renewal yesterday, probably for another year.

• Like 7

Skyline and even Gold Star are seriously the only things on that list are what I'd miss if/when I finally move out of the Midwest. I am not much a sport person (outside hockey) so the whole thing about the Reds, Buckeyes, and what not never really affected me. I personally always found the Ohio chant thing sort of corny...almost as corny and awkward as the "tail wave" SeaWorld trainers gets the audience to do at Shamu before the splash portions of the shows. I guess I lack pride in the sports teams. *shrug*

Only good thing I liked the about sport pep rallies in school was that it meant class ended early for the day, lol. I always tried to hide during the pep rally itself.

• Like 5

What I couldn't live without is Kings Island, La Rosa's, Cheese Coneys* from Skyline and Gold Star, and my friends and family. I'm not a sports fanatic, so the football thing doesn't phase me one bit, the MU/OSU rivalry drives me insane, my aggressive sinus problems resulting from the bipolar weather are really taxing on my fortitude, and aside from the aforementioned coneys, replacing the sweet sauce of traditional, beautiful, savory spaghetti with chili, any kind of chili, is just pure sacrilege. Living in Ohio my entire life, I've also never heard of a "Polish Boy*," but it looks like some kind of garbage monstrosity that Oscar the Grouch concocted from his own humble abode after he got the munchies. In other words, the sight of it makes me wanna hurl.

:D

*capitalized in case of trademark.

• Like 2

Something else I would miss about Ohio that isn't even on the list would be fall/autumn. As much as I love SoCal...autumn in SoCal doesn't hold the same meaning cause they don't have the color changes there that is seen here. As far as friends and family goes...well most of the family that I actually talk to don't even live in Ohio anymore anyways, my grandparents are gone so Ohio is basically nothing but ghosts and memories (a lot of good as well as a lot of really painful) to me. Along with that Cedar Point changed too much for me I have little to no desire of seeing the place ever again any time soon. The CP I miss is gone and probably will never come back in any shape or form at the rate they are going. Many of my "friends" (like the ones I met through working at KI) all drifted apart over the years, majority I have not seen since the final year I worked at the park before accepting my current job. Oh yeah.. and there is my allergies/asthma.

I'm exploring possibilities atm...and watching my employer with the expanding they are doing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not even Kings Island?

Honestly, it will be in my mind in a way similar to this little tune. If it were still 09, when I met a small group of absolutely fantastic people, then yes Id miss it terribly. Today, as those Friendships/associations have evolved or dissolved...it has become more "A park that I used to know".

• Like 2