Will there ever be an *Official* Son of Beast Documentary

DontWantToWait42mar0

EDIT: Nevermind, just being skeptical.

I don't mean to spark controversy or anything, but it is just odd. Now when it comes to this, I think a Docu will probably be made, but not officially. Rather, by the enthusiast bases, like KIC or TPR, or you name it.

• Like 2

I'm not so sure those who were hurt by it would be amused. That's not to mention most of those associated with it probably won't want to talk about it at all, particuarly Werner Stengel.

That is, unless this serves as a warning about how not to design wooden coasters and how not to cut corners, among other things.

• Like 7

That's the beauty of a documentary: it shows the flaws and the good in a coaster. Of which, it could show how the design wasn't proper and needed major re-haul. I would see the doumentary as 3 states: The beginnings, operation, and post operation. Basically a visual essay about the whole coaster and how it was flawed in different ways. Now of course, this is only a mere idea, it's not what I personally want or need, just simply putting thoughts out there for the populous to discuss.

• Like 2

Paramount Parks, the general contractor, is now owned by Cedar Fair. Most everyone involved in building that coaster is no longer with the company.

I cannot imagine why any of them would cooperate on such a project.

For the $$$$ of course.

It should be even more likely now that Kings Island has different owners.

They can put a "look at what these awesome and innovative people tried to do" spin on it.

I think, years down the road, it could be an interesting story with a lot of educational merit. I don't believe that ANY event in the history of humanity, no matter how tragic, cannot be a learning opportunity. After all, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

That said, there is such a thing as "too soon". This example is going to be on a totally different scale, but say it were 1946 and somebody wanted to make a documentary on the Holocaust. That would have been completely unacceptable. The trauma was still fresh in peoples' minds, and they didn't need reminded of it. But now, decades later, wounds have started to heal a little, and we can reflect and try to learn something so we don't ever get into that kind of mess again. Now, even the most infamous of coasters is in a totally different league than something like the Holocaust, but you get my idea. Should a documentary on Son of Beast be made? Sure, as long as somebody feels inclined to put in the research and do a good job with it. Should it be made now? I don't think so.

I say give it at least a decade from the events in question, then evaluate if the time is right. Besides, everyone who would be in the target market for that sort of thing right now would have been around at the time that the events were unfolding. Wait it out and you have a whole new generation of young coaster enthusiasts curious about the only wooden hypercoaster in history who would be a prime target market for such a thing. Fact of the matter is, just look at this site, which is full of people who would be interested in such a thing. Anyone who has an account here (at least, anyone following the TOS) would have been alive the last time Son of Beast operated and would have been old enough to have been capable of remembering it. So in that regard, it seems more logical to wait purely from a business standpoint.

Now, if someone were to make a documentary on Kings Island, then Son of Beast should absolutely be brought up. But to make it the focal point... No, not yet.

• Like 9

I would take it a step farther. To put the time and energy into a failed coaster that was around for a few years is sort of a waste of time. Sure give it 10 or 15 minutes, but 75+ minutes all on its own? That would be rougher than SOB's helixes.....

With so many more interesting and game changing coasters and rides, why this one? It wasn't the first wooden coaster with a loop. It was the biggest but overall it suffered from poor craftsmanship.

There are at least 6 coasters still standing in the state of Ohio that would warrant a documentary of its own.

• Like 2

^^Next year it will be 10 years since the 06 incident on Sonny. A day I don't care to be present for while at the park ever again. It really wasn't a good day for anyone there at the time and I don't mean just the affected guests, it was a tad rough for employees too out in the park at the time as well dealing with all the questions when the ambulances, fire trucks and helicopters arrived. Sirens....and more sirens everywhere.

With that said....I vote no for a documentary for that thing at the moment. How bout...another decade?

• Like 7

^^Next year it will be 10 years since the 06 incident on Sonny. A day I don't care to be present for while at the park ever again. It really wasn't a good day for anyone there at the time and I don't mean just the affected guests, it was a tad rough for employees too out in the park at the time as well dealing with all the questions when the ambulances, fire trucks and helicopters arrived. Sirens....and more sirens everywhere.

Oh wow you were working there when it happened?
  • Like 2

Yes. In Action Zone... I'll only say the that particular day is when I began to despise news media and my hate towards them became more apparent few years later over another incident in another park under another chain. That's for another discussion entirely...those who know me know the one in which I speak.

Since I would be extremely shocked that there is ever an *official* SOB documentary, perhaps the title of the thread should be changed so it isn't misleading.

• Like 5

Yes. In Action Zone... I'll only say the that particular day is when I began to despise news media and my hate towards them became more apparent few years later over another incident in another park under another chain. That's for another discussion entirely...those who know me know the one in which I speak.

Since I would be extremely shocked that there is ever an *official* SOB documentary, perhaps the title of the thread should be changed so it isn't misleading.

As a former media member, I am truly sorry you have such disdain towards the field.

• Like 2

"News people" can't help it. Sensationalism pays the bills. It's why you hear dramatic, show-stopping music and sound effects, with minor-chord, violin-rich action news cues, and with a warble of deep concern in their voices, the overly-made up anchors break in with "Breaking News out of West Brockway! You're looking at live pictures of the doors to the courtroom where the jury is deliberating whether Joe Schmoeckle is guilty of slander in the Spaghetti-Johnson affair that has rocked this tiny, suburban community since last June."

And you're like... :mellow: [cricket... cricket... cricket...]

• Like 10

Not to mention, you don't hear much from the "boring" reporters. They aren't in the spotlight usually. Plus even if they were, the negative stories are going to stick out in your mind more than the positives. It's just human nature. We think nothing of it when all is well, and it makes the bad things really stand out. The mainstream media knows this. And they are, first and foremost, a business. So they capitalize on it.

• Like 2