Ringling Circus Eliminating Elephant Acts

Makes sense. Sort of/really sad though. Some of the best circus moments are when the Elephants come out. Its the only time in my life that I can get that close to a giant.

I feel that Ringling does it right by their animals. I was just at a different circus this past weekend and the animals looked much more worse for wear than the Ringling animals. Now I know I need to go to a Ringling Circus between now and 2018 just so my son can see them one more time up close.

• Like 2

Not entirely surprised. Since last year two zoos off the top of my head have/will end elephant exhibits.

Toronto zoo moved theirs to a sanctuary in Cali (sadly with a bunch of diseased elephants).

Woodland Park Zoo just announced they're moving their last remaining elephants to join the elephant herd at the Oklahoma City Zoo.

• Like 1

And an elephant is distinguished from an orca, sea lion or even dog how exactly? What about the singers at an amusement park, some of whom do six shows a day, six days a week, all summer long, sometimes for peanuts?

Aren't these comparisons ones of degree and not of kind? Or not too kind?

Terp, who likes to ask questions.

• Like 3

And an elephant is distinguished from an orca, sea lion or even dog how exactly? What about the singers at an amusement park, some of whom do six shows a day, six days a week, all summer long, sometimes for peanuts?

Aren't these comparisons ones of degree and not of kind? Or not too kind?

Terp, who likes to ask questions.

Or the Cirque Imagine acrobats.... :P

Somewhat related on the topic of abuse. I followed this story for several weeks but never posted here cause it is not coaster park related. I am reminded of why I don't care for facilities outside the US that even hold cetaceans (exception of Marineland in France and Sea World (no related to the US parks) Gold Coast). A trainer was caught on video abusing dolphins at a Spanish facility...and I do mean abuse in the form of hitting, dry kicking dolphins and even yanking female trainers around by their elbows. The original video was a sped up video which is something the Blackfish crowd like to do to give a more dramatic effect making it hard to tell what was real and what wasn't and the trainers face was a blob. Then a much better quality version of the same video surfaced and with its normal speed. Yeah...that was real abuse. Kicking the dolphins in the head!? SeaWorld would have fired his arse just like they did to one of the Blackfish "trainers" when he abused the otters. This guy was a member of IMATA (International Marine Animal Trainers Association) and was about to be hired on by the Georgia Aquarium...after the video was released IMATA banned him BUT Georgia Aquarium was still willing to hire him on. I sort of lost my respect for Georgia Aquarium over their statement. Ya'll can say what you want about SeaWorld but I know for a fact they would not have put up with it, he been swiftly fired and wouldn't be able to hold a job involving any of their animals ever again. Then a new development happened...the man from the video disappeared and his body was found last week and he DID get a lot of death threats. The Blackfish crowd have been known for making a lot of death threats and that is exactly what they did to that guy. Initial reports is that he committed suicide, which is possible he got pushed to that point, the Blackfish crowed darn near cheered the news. I don't wish death on anyone...my only hope I had for the guy was that he never again held another job involving any kind of animal ever again which is why I am disappointed in Georgia Aquarium.

• Like 2